Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck?

/ Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I’ve been looking at stand over mowers and I’m not dead set on either one but I’ll likely end up with a Ferris or Hustler. The Hustler only offers a Kawasaki motor. Most people consider the Vanguard to be better. The Hustler offers separate pumps and drive motors which I consider to be better and are found on most commercial mowers. The Ferris has integrated hydro gear transaxles. Are they junk or are my fears unfounded?

/ Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck? #2  
I don't think that being integrated is the problem. The reason they get a bad name is that all or most the consumer model mowers use an integrated unit. It is frequently just enough to make it work. I have always found that if the unit is not serviceable, it is not meant to last long.

/ Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck? #3  
Which Hustler are you looking at? I started with a Raptor SD and was very impressed and then upgraded to the X-One and love it. Kawasaki vs B&S Vanguard is a Ford vs Chevy issue. Both make good motors. With zero turns, you want to go commercial if you want the mower to last.

/ Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck? #4  
the hydrogear integrated commercial hydro units are serviceable with replaceable oil filters on each unit. The Zt-3100-zt-3800 have external screw on filters and the zt4400-5400 have internal cartridge type filters that are accessed through a screw type cover on the side of the unit.

/ Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck?
Which Hustler are you looking at? I started with a Raptor SD and was very impressed and then upgraded to the X-One and love it. Kawasaki vs B&S Vanguard is a Ford vs Chevy issue. Both make good motors. With zero turns, you want to go commercial if you want the mower to last.

One of the stand up ones.

/ Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck? #6  
I have never seen a stand up that does not have a commercial transmission.

/ Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck? #7  
The Hustler only offers a Kawasaki motor. Most people consider the Vanguard to be better.

Around me it is the exact opposite. Kawasaki is definitely considered the better motor. Agree with Boylerman, more of a Ford vs. Chevy issue.

I have always had Kawasaki's and had no problems and I am sure there are others who have had Vanguards without issues. If you don't care, get whichever has the extra features you like better. I personally like separate pumps for maintenance.

/ Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck? #8  
Around me it is the exact opposite. Kawasaki is definitely considered the better motor. Agree with Boylerman, more of a Ford vs. Chevy issue.

I have always had Kawasaki's and had no problems and I am sure there are others who have had Vanguards without issues. If you don't care, get whichever has the extra features you like better. I personally like separate pumps for maintenance.

Kawasaki has a commercial motor and a motor aimed at residential machines. Vanguard makes commercial machines only. I would feel safe with either.

/ Do all integrated transaxles on zero turn mowers suck? #9  
I have the Kawasaki FS 691V engine in my Ferris with 3400 series commercial grade drive by Hydrogear and with 370 hours on it, no problems with either in terms of performance. Ferris did not put a hole in the frame in the correct spot to access the top vent plug for the drive motor and it is a real bear to try to get to it from underneath. I change oil / filter in engine and transmission yearly. The first year I managed to get the vents out, but last year I could only get one of them out, this year I couldn't get either of them out. Without the vents, oil wont flow into the units. Last year I would fill the reservoir then using low pressure air, pressure the reservoir and force the oil into the drive unit a bit at a time till I got the full 2 quarts in.
This year I decided to go the opposite and used my vacuum to suck the air from the drive unit/reservoir, then let the vacuum pull the oil from the reservoir into the drive. It was a lot less messy that way and only took me about 4 times vacuuming the system to get all the oil in.

I did find the old oil to be very black with dirt/dust particles when I drained it out, so it is great that the unit is serviceable. Other than the problem with the vent plugs, I have had any problems with the mower.