Do backyard tractors need grease?

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #71  
Am I the only one that actually enjoys greasing the tractor or backhoe using the good old lever style grease gun and get hands all greasy? No electric grease gun, no fancy lock n lube stuff. Just a regular grease gun. I do have a pneumatic one but don't really enjoy using it much.
It's all fun and games until you get old with arthritis or carpal tunnel. I've graduated to the Lock'n'Lube, but not yet to the DeWalt grease gun.
I have to say that it sure is starting to look pretty good though! 😁

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #72  
I've never heard backyard or farm guys talking about grease though. My friends who own Kubotas or Deeres never grease them when they have been working around my property, and I've never heard the obsessive grease talk that occurs on heavy equipment forums on tractor forums.

Do home and farm tractors not need grease? Do these tractors come with sealed pins and bushings? Or do farm and home guys just not bother?

What is a “backyard” piece of equipment?

Everyone I know greases their equipment. Some more than others, but I don’t know anyone who completely skips it. About every farm truck has a few grease guns and several tubes rolling around, in it.

Stores around here sell more grease, by the carton, than by the tube. That’s how most people I know buy it. I know a couple of guys who buy by the case, but you have to have room to store that much.

My Kubota BX25D-1 has several grease zerks. With all the attachments and implements, I have over 50 zerks and a few places that take a finger swipe.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #73  
My father might have been lax on washing equipment and go a little long on oil changes, but the equipment was greased every day it was used, no question. He still has a 1968 Hough 65 Loader with original pins and bushings and its remarkably tight. Hour meter broke at 30k+ hours.

I adopted his greasing schedule and stick to my own on oil and wash/waxing!

For gear, I have a few manual pump guns, one with a Lock-n-Lube. I like it but as is gets a little greasy, my hand slip off of the lever.

Funny thing has been happening though: When I refill my grease gun, I pull the plunger out, unscrew the top, pull the empty tube out and re-install. What I don't do is typically clean the pump action top of the old grease. So this weekend my main gun ran out of grease. When I pulled the plunger, I thought I had the full length. Apparently not, because I has a handful of grease that shot out. This has happened twice now and I have wasted a bunch of grease. The reason: The top of the pump action gets thick with hardened grease and sometime won't let new grease flow through. Top tip: clean the grease gun occasionally.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #74  
My father might have been lax on washing equipment and go a little long on oil changes, but the equipment was greased every day it was used, no question. He still has a 1968 Hough 65 Loader with original pins and bushings and its remarkably tight. Hour meter broke at 30k+ hours.
30k hrs on pins and bushings? Now that is a testimony for using grease daily! What was his favorite type and brand? Something special like high pressure Teflon? Very good (and encouraging) post! (y) Thanks

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #75  
30k hrs on pins and bushings? Now that is a testimony for using grease daily! What was his favorite type and brand? Something special like high pressure Teflon? Very good (and encouraging) post! (y) Thanks

People may need to corner the market on PTFE greases. Congress back in June passed the House to BAN PTFE due to, Forever Hazardous Chemicals.

About 5 states have already banned PTFE. The EU has banned it. UK has a time table before the ban happens.

Slick 50 will be no more as well.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #76  

It’s probably 3000 hours with tenths on the meter. I’ve seen that mistake a lot.

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #77  
People may need to corner the market on PTFE greases. Congress back in June passed the House to BAN PTFE due to, Forever Hazardous Chemicals.

About 5 states have already banned PTFE. The EU has banned it. UK has a time table before the ban happens.

Slick 50 will be no more as well.
Interesting...

/ Do backyard tractors need grease? #78  
I had one in today didnt have a yearly on the pins, 3 on a loader didnt take, were very dry and one on a tie rod end. This is a hobby deal and used just enough they need a yearly or better and ideally heavy equipment stuff and not marine grade whatever they fancy.