Do i hay or crops

/ Do i hay or crops #11  
What do you do? Every farmer I ever knew had something to fall back on. Usually some different vocation he could do on his own schedule.

Grow something you like. I happen to like hay. I think it's beautiful and I like what it does for the land. I know people who feel the same about grains.

/ Do i hay or crops #12  
Gonna be impossible for anyone to answer without knowing the location or even the country you live in.

So without knowing that....a quick google search seems to indicate that surgar cane, sugar beets, and tomatoes are the three highest yielding crops. So go with one of those....lol

/ Do i hay or crops #15  
Rent it out for corn or beans. You won’t make squat on hay until you make 1000 tons.
167 acres won’t even make 500 tons, unless you fertilize the bejeebers out of it and that costs a ton of money!

/ Do i hay or crops #17  
Since you are starting with 167 acres, I agree with JJT...carve off a couple of acres for building sites. A lot of people are looking rural sites right now.
But be smart about it.
rScotty

/ Do i hay or crops #18  
Not know any particulars of the land. I would suggest the following -- If good tillable land and you can't till it rent it to someone who can. If it is not tillable (swampy or wet) or too steep lease it for hunting. If it is wooded sell any good standing timber. If it is really steep and you get snow use it for a ski slope. If it is relatively flat or slightly rolling set up a golf course. Can figure out what to do with it any other way, sell it. Last of all and my worst suggestion start a development.

/ Do i hay or crops #19  
I think he went to greener pastures after he learned that farming can be more complex. There's still a few people that think it's like "Green Acres".

/ Do i hay or crops #20  
Regarding the golf course idea: Friends (two brothers) parcelled out their property between them. One had gravel--lots of it and was happy to run a pit operation. The other built a golf course, a nice one. He asked me to guess what it had cost him. I had no idea. He said, "Take a wild guess and add about three million!"