Do limbs get higher

/ Do limbs get higher #1  

Birdman

Silver Member
from the ground as the tree grows? I stopped at my brother's the other day and he was cutting grass. Kept struggling to mow under some Pin Oaks he planted a few years ago and the limbs are about 5' above the ground. I asked why he did not cut the low limbs off to make mowing easier. He said they are higher than last year and it is easier to mow this year, in a few more years they will be completely out of the way. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't think so. In fact I keep trimming higher limbs, about every year, as they grow longer and hang down into head smackin range. I think lil bro has been smacked in the head once too often, but thought I would ask the experts on here.

/ Do limbs get higher #2  
<font color="blue"> I keep trimming higher limbs, about every year, as they grow longer and hang down into head smackin range. </font>

I'm with you, if it touches my canopy the chainsaw comes out and the offending branch is promptly eliminated.

/ Do limbs get higher #3  
My trees and I have come to an agreement. I trim them the way I like and if they don't like it they can leave. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

murph

/ Do limbs get higher #4  
No the limbs don't get higher, eventually the lower limbs die and rot off and you keep getting new limbs at the new growth in the top. If the limbs moved higher you couldn't nail a fence to a tree. It would be off the ground more every year.

/ Do limbs get higher #5  
Ha, since I've planted several thousand oak trees over the last 20 years, I can answer this question with a reasonable amount of certainty. They do only get "lower" over the years as they grow. Especially the pin oak variety. Their lower limbs hang down and their upper limbs ascend on the horizontal plane. I mow around roughly a thousand or so oak trees every week. I can tell you, each year, I have to trim the trees to keep from getting belted off of my mower. I gave up long ago trying to get my cab tractor anywhere close to them. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Those darn oak branches will leave a mark!

I'm stalling right now so I don't have to go out and trim a few hundred of mine. Do you know how heavy my chainsaw gets after an hour or two of holding it up over my head?! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I still have one pin oak tree that looks lopsided. When I was having my pool house bricked, one of the bricklayers got stuck in his ear by a branch from one of my pin oaks. Apparently he took particular offense to it. He went to his truck and got a hatchet and went after my tree! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif He did a fair amount of damage before they could calm him down and fire him. Oh well, it's growing back now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Do limbs get higher #6  
I took a college class in botany and on the first day, the instructor came in and introduced himself. Right after talking about what to expect in the class he asked us one question. If he drove a nail into a fir tree exactly 4 feet from the ground and the tree grew 2 feet per year, how high would the nail be in 6 years? The answer..............4 feet. Trees don't grow out of the ground, the growth is at the terminal bud.

/ Do limbs get higher
Thanks guys for confirming what I was pretty sure I already knew /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now that you brought up the " how high would the nail be" question, I do remember hearing that before. I don't know what it is about my brother, he gets these crazy ideas and will not listen to reason, will argue for ever about it, and never let you hear the end of it, sometimes I think he should of been a woman. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Do limbs get higher #8  
Is he a bettin' man? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If he is, it might be a good time to lighten his wallet.

/ Do limbs get higher #9  
My brother stopped when I was trimming branches. Said they would be too high later. Never did figure if he was joking or really meant it.

My pruning equp comes out as soon as I have to retrieve my cap.

Harry K

/ Do limbs get higher #10  
No, limbs don't get higher, but when you trim off the lower limbs, the upper ones start putting out shoots, and pretty soon they're hanging down in the space where you trimmed the lower limbs.
Anyhow, I've trimmed the limbs of all trees on my property of anything hanging closer than 10 feet to the ground. That's the "critical distance" (to me, my tractor and ROPS) wherein I get slapped in the face when mowing.