Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #1  

jpilk99

Gold Member
Tractor
1983 Ford 1700, 4WD, 770 Loader, Woods backhoe, Woods brush hog,etc.
Hi All,

My hydraulic fluid is pretty low - is it typical to "lose" fluid over time, does it kindof cook away? (this 1983 Ford 1700 is new to me so I don't know it intimately yet). Anyhow, manual calls for M2C-134A and Tractor Supply doesn't have it. Can't find any on eBay...

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Jay

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #2  
Most quality transhydraulic fluids will meet the Ford Spec M2c-134A and I believe the latest is M2c-134D and is backward compatible. Read the label on the container.
The fluid disn't "cook off";it leaks out and it also colllects water via condensation espeicially if you don't use it often and/or operate for long periods of time to cause it to get warm and evaporate off the condensation.

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #3  
I have used Mystick brand from TSC for the last 7 years in my Ford 1700. I did not find any ill effect as the result. Dipstick inspection of the after 250 hrs looks pretty good.

JC,

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700
Thanks all. TSC I would assume is Tractor Supply...?

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #5  
Thanks all. TSC I would assume is Tractor Supply...?
Yes. Make sure to read the back of the container to verify it meets M2C-134A.

JC,

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #6  
Remember that the last letter is a revision. That means that 134b meets 134a specs. A lot of the generic UTF's that I have seen are 134b or 134c which is fine for you.

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #7  
i know i've used tsc and walmart UTF's for years now. never a problem.

DO read the label. etc.

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #8  
Phillips PowerTran Fluid is available in two viscosity grades for use over a wide range of temperatures. The heavier viscosity grade is suitable for year-round use in most climates, whereas the “Low Viscosity” grade is recommended for use in cold climates where a John Deere J20D fluid is specified.
Do a Google search for Phillips PowerTran Fluid in a pdf file and the info. will really help you .

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #9  
wow.. big time zombie thread!

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700
Remember that the last letter is a revision. That means that 134b meets 134a specs. A lot of the generic UTF's that I have seen are 134b or 134c which is fine for you.
Hi. I'm going back to do some Maintenance/Service on my wonderful 1983 Ford 1700 and find myself back to being curious about "Hydraulic System Oil" that the manual talks about. It certainly says I should get the M2C-134(x) ...which I am not finding, where the "x" is either A, B, C, D etc. and knowing they're backwards compatible. But the manual also says, "Should the recommended engine oil not be readily available, use a commercial oil as shown in the following chart" and that chart goes on to list SAE 10W30, 10W40 for Year Around. Or SAE 10W... and a few other options given the temperatures outside...

But my question/concern is: I am planning to do as much maintenance as possible - and going to work on the front differential, front axle, rear axle etc... So can I just put SAE 10W30 in all those places? Because it looks like the M2C-134A is what they say to use in them...?

Thanks. Hope i'm not being overly exacting here - just don't want to hurt my machine. Thanks!