Does anybody follow the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Maybe they should add events in Marbles or Turtle races. At least you could sleep through it and still see the finish at the Finish Line.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
IMHO any medalist who protests on the podium should be instantly banned for life and the medal discarded! :mad:
I agree. It continues because it is permitted. It reminds me that if I worked for a company (lets say farm dealer A) and when I was about to receive the gold metal (have a customer want to buy 2 combines and 4 heads), I said. Don't buy these damn things, buy a XXXXX instead (from farm dealer B). I don't like my boss. I don't think dealer A would spend 20 seconds firing him, much less asking Why. What are we teaching young people who compete. All farm dealers compete for sales.

rekees4300

Elite Member
Tractor
JD4300
What exactly is a ROC? If Russia is banned their athletes should be banned. Either you are a country or you are not a country.

You can’t make this stuff up.

MoKelly
Exactly .. when did a "committee" become a country? 🇷🇺

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
The only issue I see here... An Olympic level athlete, of any sport, should be able to mentally focus on the task in front of them; this is what they have trained for since childhood... Also, this is not the Olympics of individualism; it is representing one's country, put aside selfishness and make America proud.

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
I think what bugged me about the medalist that did the crossed arms on the podium was the first protest I saw. NBC could have not shown it but if you follow the politics at NBC it’s not a shock that they showed it. The were probably worried about offending people that like that stuff though, I’m sure Lester Dolt approved of it.

OP
J

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Wow. After reading many of the comments above I don't feel so alone anymore.

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
I've been watching the bike racing. I raced as an amateur & masters (old person) so I understand the sport. Football too because I went to school in a town that was totally soccer crazy. Sometimes I pick one sport that I know nothing about at random and watch some of that just to try to learn about something new. Last winter olympics it was curling. I still don't understand the rules.

I'd like to see the politics taken out of the games by having the athletes not representing countries. That'd work for individual sports like fencing but I don't know how to organize team sports in a non-country way that doesn't just entrench the existing commercial setup (like those for bike racing and football). It's not gonna happen though.

When I was racing I rode quite a bit with some cyclists who had been olympians. I thought I was dedicated and hard core but those people were on a totally different level. The ones I knew wern't "rich kids" (or adults), just people with extraordinary ability and drive and the willingness forego what most people would consider a normal life.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I've been watching the bike racing. I raced as an amateur & masters (old person) so I understand the sport. Football too because I went to school in a town that was totally soccer crazy. Sometimes I pick one sport that I know nothing about at random and watch some of that just to try to learn about something new. Last winter olympics it was curling. I still don't understand the rules.

I'd like to see the politics taken out of the games by having the athletes not representing countries. That'd work for individual sports like fencing but I don't know how to organize team sports in a non-country way that doesn't just entrench the existing commercial setup (like those for bike racing and football). It's not gonna happen though.

When I was racing I rode quite a bit with some cyclists who had been olympians. I thought I was dedicated and hard core but those people were on a totally different level. The ones I knew wern't "rich kids" (or adults), just people with extraordinary ability and drive and the willingness forego what most people would consider a normal life.
I was watching tv one day and they were showing curling. I thought that would be a good show to take a nap..But ever since, I watch it. it is interesting. I even attempted to buy one of those "Rocks". Too much for me. $300. I thought it was cool. Ha.
Making olympics free of country might be a good step, but several countries (like China - Russia) probably would have no participation without government entanglement. I guess maybe the it might be the same for the USA.
I can't help but think that everything in life has rules. I think there is an acceptable protocol for both Good Winners and Good Losers. I think this discussion alone may mean there needs to be an acceptable protocol for representing the country and people who sponsored your team (or YOU) and provided an opportunity. I would think Good Winner might include accepting the gift of a medal with respect and grace, not disrespect.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I wonder. Does disrespecting the American flag on the world stage benefit a cause, or harm the cause on the national stage?

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
I'm not a huge sports nut, I'll watch ufc and occasionally catch a bears or cubs game, but my family was always into the olympics even back when we still lived in soviet ukraine. I've never once missed watching the olympics, winter and summer, until now. But this wokelympics, no way, what a turnoff! I feel bad not cheering for the US teams, but these various athletes with their protest antics and the Biles drama, ughh! Viewership is down bigtime, I hope it has an effect.

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
I wonder. Does disrespecting the American flag on the world stage benefit a cause, or harm the cause on the national stage?
It sure does benefit other countries who just love to see us disrespecting ourselves, yeh. This is the western world wrecking itself. Any athlete kneeling or in any way showing disloyalty to their anthem/flag in Russia, China, Iran or whatever, they'd be lucky to get out of the stadium in one piece coz the spectators would absolutely tear them apart.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Before i go thru all the pages, is this thread just a bunch of people whining or is it about olympic sports?

Not directed at you. 🤣

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422

OP
J

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Before i go thru all the pages, is this thread just a bunch of people whining or is it about olympic sports?
I started it because I found it odd that nobody else had... so to answer your question; "all of the above."

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
IMO, “does anyone follow the olympics” leaves a lot of latitude as to what can be discussed. It’s really not so much about the sports per say, but about those following the olympics. That would include any discussions as to why someone would or wouldn’t follow the olympics.
Wouldnt follow them would of course include politics, wokeness or several other reasons.
Thats not whining, it’s legitimate reasons.

Aquamoose

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
As a former two-time Olympian (water polo), I watch & cheer my country but I also recognize & respect all competitors who play for their country. I simply tune out athletes who try to use the Olympic as their soapbox. Instead, I talk about extraordinary athletes who exemplifies the Olympic spirit.

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
As a former two-time Olympian (water polo), I watch & cheer my country but I also recognize & respect all competitors who play for their country. I simply tune out athletes who try to use the Olympic as their soapbox. Instead, I talk about extraordinary athletes who exemplifies the Olympic spirit.
That’s fair. The problem I see now is the networks and the “news” outlets also promote their garbage. They give them an outlet for their hate of the USA other than “holding up the fist” at the medal ceremony.
It’s not just the protesting athlete some of us dislike, it’s also the media supporting them. Its hard to tune that out.

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
"Related Topics"... Read through the various threads and you'll understand.
I guess I come to a site called "TractorByNet" to get some advice or hand some out involving machinery and such in the various forums. If I'm looking to talk about sports or something akin to that, there are plenty of other forums for that. Not trying to bash your post or anything - it just generally seemed odd to me. I guess I don't read through too many other threads, but I haven't seen any others talking about sports. I guess there was one that was simply titled "Good Morning", but I didn't bother checking that out.

/pine

Super Star Member
I heard they've added a new olympic sport for women...it's the 40 meter jump to conclusions...!

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
I guess I come to a site called "TractorByNet" to get some advice or hand some out involving machinery and such in the various forums. If I'm looking to talk about sports or something akin to that, there are plenty of other forums for that. Not trying to bash your post or anything - it just generally seemed odd to me. I guess I don't read through too many other threads, but I haven't seen any others talking about sports. I guess there was one that was simply titled "Good Morning", but I didn't bother checking that out.

The Topic Subject was pretty specific.

If you don’t want to talk Olympics or sports, it’s easy enough not to read the thread.

MoKelly

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
The Topic Subject was pretty specific.

If you don’t want to talk Olympics or sports, it’s easy enough not to read the thread.

MoKelly

True enough. But I never said it was confusing, and I never said I don't want to talk Olympics or sports. In fact, I do plenty of that on other sites. I just thought it was odd that it's on the TractorByNet site.

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
True enough. But I never said it was confusing, and I never said I don't want to talk Olympics or sports. In fact, I do plenty of that on other sites. I just thought it was odd that it's on the TractorByNet site.

We cover it all and have suggestions to save the world - as well as how to change hydro filters without losing any fluid!!

MoKelly

drssg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700, BX2350
We cover it all and have suggestions to save the world - as well as how to change hydro filters without losing any fluid!!

MoKelly

Dang! I guess I should read this forum more thoroughly. I always just changed the fluid while changing the filters, even though the fluid is supposed to last longer.

OP
J

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
That’s fair. The problem I see now is the networks and the “news” outlets also promote their garbage. They give them an outlet for their hate of the USA other than “holding up the fist” at the medal ceremony.
It’s not just the protesting athlete some of us dislike, it’s also the media supporting them. Its hard to tune that out.
It also draws attention from those athletes who should be enjoying their 15 minutes of fame; just like a problem child receives more attention than his well behaved siblings.
On the rare occasion that I watch sports of any type; I enjoy the sportsmanship more than the winning. Hence I'm much more apt to watch a high school basketball game than college or pro level teams.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
We leave it on TV with the volume down. When the race or match, etc., starts, we turn up the volume, then turn it down again. Volume only goes up when we want to listen to it.

We'll read, do a puzzle or snooze while it's on.

Pixguy

Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
We usually discuss more important tractor and farming subjects which can be seen in the "Pallets in the field" thread.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
I would love to be watching the Rugby, but I cannot in good conscience give credence to the politicization of the Olympics by many parties. Watching improves the ratings and thus gives a sort of tacit approval of the state of the games. It makes me sad. I remember watching the Games as far back as the '72 Munich games. I got to see the Olympic Training Center and have a poster of the later boycotted '80 games (probably the beginning of otherwise 'rational' countries using the games for politics).

To make sure this post stays on tractors...what sort of tractors do you suppose Japan is using to maintain the grounds?

Otgaugres

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4066R, John Deere 2720, Bobcat E50R2, Bobcat T595. Ventrac 4520Z
No. Dead to me…

Mendonsy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500HST/LA302
I have found the Olympics to be really great for insomnia. When my wife switches the TV to the Olympics I will be asleep within 10 minutes.

Hay Dude

Tractor
We leave it on TV with the volume down. When the race or match, etc., starts, we turn up the volume, then turn it down again. Volume only goes up when we want to listen to it.

We'll read, do a puzzle or snooze while it's on.
Sounds like a blast. Who gets the remote control?

/pine

Super Star Member
The new remotes have programmable voice activated controls...and you can tell them to beep so you can find it...!

BTW...do the medals say "Made in Japan" ?
(asking for a friend)

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
We usually discuss more important tractor and farming subjects which can be seen in the "Pallets in the field" thread.
Which thread has the hot debates on quilting, needlepoint, crochet techniques and meatloaf recipes?

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
KUBOTA... OF COURSE.
Kubota!! Father-in-law just recently gave me a Kubota (TG1860G) cause he said it wasn't running as nice as he would like. He ordered a zero-turn and they offered to haul it away for free for him - LOL. He offered it to me to work on. He said it was starting to smoke some and it was losing power. I found a small oil leak and repaired that. I examined the tranny and found that the hose barb for the breather hose was broken completely, so it was leaking. I topped off the oil there, ordered a new barb and repaired that and it's running like a champ. I get more good stuff from my father-in-law that way; he doesn't want to repair anything himself. Squeaky door on the car? Well, time to buy a new one!

Pixguy

Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
Which thread has the hot debates on quilting, needlepoint, crochet techniques and meatloaf recipes?
Our tractors is one of the many things that we share interests in but if you're only into BCS or Kubota threads then enjoy.

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
Dang! I guess I should read this forum more thoroughly. I always just changed the fluid while changing the filters, even though the fluid is supposed to last longer.
I'm just interested in the "save the world" part. I could use that info!!

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Hydro came in second... Gear drive took the gold!
Good, then Gear would be grinding and smoking in protest! And hydro, by default is the real winner! Now, let's see, do I have that right or is it backwords?? lol.

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
Our tractors is one of the many things that we share interests in but if you're only into BCS or Kubota threads then enjoy.
I check out other threads as well. I own a BCS and Kubota now, so I check those out more than others, but I do check other threads as well. I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer many comments on them all, but that is what it is.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
OK - I just have to say it. Two out of three Ain't bad! And that's Meatloaf!

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
OK - I just have to say it. Two out of three Ain't bad! And that's Meatloaf!
MossRoad - Best sports fan I've seen in a year! Really being entertained by the olympics! Great. Still smiling.

Hay Dude

Tractor
Hehehehe. That was quite clever.

MoKelly
Hope our soldiers in future battles won’t decry the same excuse en-masse as Ms. Byles.
I wonder what would happen if I told my kids “I quit my job-too stressful, forget your college educations, McDonald’s paying $19/hr….have a nice life”

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
It sure does benefit other countries who just love to see us disrespecting ourselves, yeh. This is the western world wrecking itself. Any athlete kneeling or in any way showing disloyalty to their anthem/flag in Russia, China, Iran or whatever, they'd be lucky to get out of the stadium in one piece coz the spectators would absolutely tear them apart.

You seem to be saying that we should be more like Russia, China or Iran.

Status
Not open for further replies.