Does anybody follow the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Hope our soldiers in future battles won’t decry the same excuse en-masse as Ms. Byles.
I wonder what would happen if I told my kids “I quit my job-too stressful, forget your college educations, McDonald’s paying $19/hr….have a nice life”
You have just won the gold medal in thoughtless comments.

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
You have just won the gold medal in thoughtless comments.

That is a little harsh.

She accepts in excess of $5 million per year in endorsements from advertisers.

Making TV commercials is not too stressful.

Yet her job - why she gets $5 million per year - is too stressful.

It’s a fair observation.

If she donated the $5 million to a mental health charity perhaps I’d agree with you. She hasn’t.

The young lady has endured much in her life but she choose to be a public person and she chose the money. So, public scrutiny and opinions come with that level of wealth.

MoKelly

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
That is a little harsh.

It’s a fair observation.

If she donated the $5 million to a mental health charity perhaps I’d agree with you. She hasn’t.

The young lady has endured much in her life but she choose to be a public person and she chose the money. So, public scrutiny and opinions come with that level of wealth.

MoKelly
I don't think either of us can really understand what her job is really like. I doubt that if either of us starts to let a little doubt creep into what we do, we have to worry about bodily injury, etc. I know my keyboard is not going to hurt me. I've heard all manner of things about this young woman - she's selfish, she choked and stuff like that. I'm sure these people think they KNOW what they are talking about, but I see no reason for people who have already won at every level in grand fashion to choke. My guess is that there's likely more to it than that.

Wealth, fame or whatever has nothing to do with the level of public scrutiny a person might endure. Maybe things like lack of honesty, integrity, empathy, etc. might. Since I have not walked in her shoes (or anybody else's for that matter), I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt on this and think maybe she's just experienced something that the rest of us have not and at the age of 24 had a really hard time dealing with it. And I wonder how many of us really could. Unfortunately, the media and everyone else hyped this all up to the level of explosion. So should we really be that surprised? I guess it's real easy to think we can grasp it all from the comfort of our soft, cushy chairs.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
That is a little harsh.

It’s a fair observation.

MoKelly
Comparing what combat soldiers go through to what a gymnast goes through is ridiculous.

A combat soldier doesn't get a choice. Act or die or others may die.

All gymnasts (all athletes) have a choice to either attempt or not attempt physical feats that require complete mind/body coordination or face failure, and possible life altering injury. If the brain isn't in command of the body today, don't attempt it. From what I've read and listening to her speak, she felt the brain wasn't controlling the body, and, not only might she injure herself, she might do so poorly as to bring the team down. Seems pretty selfless to step aside for the sake of the team and others in the individual events. If she'd have stayed in, the U.S. team and individuals had a good chance of winning nothing. Instead, she bowed out, several others got the chance to compete, and stepped up to the task. The team won a medal, and several individuals medalled as well.

So tell me again why she did the wrong thing?

mwemaxxowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX 1880 with FEL and canopy
Comparing what combat soldiers go through to what a gymnast goes through is ridiculous.

A combat soldier doesn't get a choice. Act or die or others may die.

All gymnasts (all athletes) have a choice to either attempt or not attempt physical feats that require complete mind/body coordination or face failure, and possible life altering injury. If the brain isn't in command of the body today, don't attempt it. From what I've read and listening to her speak, she felt the brain wasn't controlling the body, and, not only might she injure herself, she might do so poorly as to bring the team down. Seems pretty selfless to step aside for the sake of the team and others in the individual events. If she'd have stayed in, the U.S. team and individuals had a good chance of winning nothing. Instead, she bowed out, several others got the chance to compete, and stepped up to the task. The team won a medal, and several individuals medalled as well.

So tell me again why she did the wrong thing?
I agree with this take on the situation wholeheartedly.

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
As to Ms Biles....the original story was the pressure of competition and winning was the cause. Now she has the "twisties". I am not a doctor or mental health professional so not sure if the "twisties" can be treated.

I shot trap competitively and developed a flinch after about 6 years. It was not a flinch due to recoil but a momentary hesitation to pull the trigger. A mental thing. It cannot be treated. I had to go to a release trigger to overcome it. I would flinch three or four times in a 100 bird event but that was disastrous I need to shoot perfect scores to win or get into the shoot off.

I hope for her sake it was the originals reason....competitive pressure; as that is easier to deal with. A mental block is much tougher. BTW, it would explain why she used the competitive pressure excuse instead of the "twisties". If Biles has a condition that is not treatable, she is done as a world class gymnast.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Yeah, I agree. Something similar got me on vacation for a week... But the rules don't apply to some.

No offense meant but you probably got vacation for a week because you were one of the top offenders. Nobody gets vacation for making a few post.

drssg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700, BX2350
If a guy with a perfectly clean record shows up in front of a judge, he is more likely to receive a suspended sentence. If a career criminal shows up for the same charge, he is more likely to receive the maximum penalty. An on-going pattern of behavior matters.

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
If a guy with a perfectly clean record shows up in front of a judge, he is more likely to receive a suspended sentence. If a career criminal shows up for the same charge, he is more likely to receive the maximum penalty. An on-going pattern of behavior matters.
You've been around here long enough to know the lay of the land... it is somewhat ambiguous.

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite

Unless you are a "peaceful protester"...then you do not even go to court. But "insurrectionists" go to jail to await trial.

I do not have a lot of confidence in our legal cesspool.

drssg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700, BX2350
Funny, they were showing equestrian Wednesday night at the restaurant we were in. I don't mind it as it's own thing, but it is another one that should not be in the Olympics. The horse is the athlete.

FWIW, equestrian sports have been part of the olympics since the olympics were created. It dates back to a time when horsemanship was a vital skill for war and every day life. It used to be common to see men competing in their military uniform, but I don't recall seeing that in 30 years.

I would agree that the horse is obviously the one providing the "horsepower." It is one of the few sports (or maybe the only sport?) in the olympics where men and women compete equally. So it's clearly not about which rider is stronger of faster. OTOH, the rider is not a potted plant. The world's top riders have developed their skill over a dedicated lifetime.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
That is very nearly correct. Horse events started in the 2nd modern Olympics in Paris. The 25th ancient Olympiad introduced chariot racing.

Until 1952, ONLY military Officers were allowed to compete.

While the historical information is interesting to me, I still prefer events that are athletic in nature. I don't mind team sports, but mostly individuals.

OP
J

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
The Good
Olympic skateboarders ran to pick up and carry a 15-year-old Japanese skater who missed a medal after falling (Think of this, the next time somebody posts how selfish the latest generation is)

The Bad

And the ugly...

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
You seem to be saying that we should be more like Russia, China or Iran.
Nope, merely pointing out that much of the non-western world (and not just those 3 nations), with all their problems, are absent one glaring one: widespread contempt for their own nation. Getting back to the point of this thread, I broke down and started watching. I can't help it, I'm compelled to watch the olympics.

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
“Contempt”?… maybe…they might call it bringing attention to important issues. Appropriate on that stage? -Opinions differ.
Call it what you want, it’s also called Freedom.

OP
J

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
“Contempt”?… maybe…they might call it bringing attention to important issues. Appropriate on that stage? -Opinions differ.
Call it what you want, it’s also called Freedom.
I only will agree with your last sentence, but can't dispute the points you make.

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
My take is a double edged sword; our rights as individuals vs loyalty to our country. At some point we all must recognize, that not everything is about me... some things are bigger than me, and representing America on the world stage is one of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.