Does anybody follow the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Does anybody follow the Olympics? #51  
Maybe they should add events in Marbles or Turtle races. At least you could sleep through it and still see the finish at the Finish Line.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #53  
IMHO any medalist who protests on the podium should be instantly banned for life and the medal discarded! :mad:
I agree. It continues because it is permitted. It reminds me that if I worked for a company (lets say farm dealer A) and when I was about to receive the gold metal (have a customer want to buy 2 combines and 4 heads), I said. Don't buy these damn things, buy a XXXXX instead (from farm dealer B). I don't like my boss. I don't think dealer A would spend 20 seconds firing him, much less asking Why. What are we teaching young people who compete. All farm dealers compete for sales.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #54  
What exactly is a ROC? If Russia is banned their athletes should be banned. Either you are a country or you are not a country.

You can’t make this stuff up.

MoKelly
Exactly .. when did a "committee" become a country? 🇷🇺

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #55  
The only issue I see here... An Olympic level athlete, of any sport, should be able to mentally focus on the task in front of them; this is what they have trained for since childhood... Also, this is not the Olympics of individualism; it is representing one's country, put aside selfishness and make America proud.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #56  
I think what bugged me about the medalist that did the crossed arms on the podium was the first protest I saw. NBC could have not shown it but if you follow the politics at NBC it’s not a shock that they showed it. The were probably worried about offending people that like that stuff though, I’m sure Lester Dolt approved of it.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics?
Wow. After reading many of the comments above I don't feel so alone anymore.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #58  
I've been watching the bike racing. I raced as an amateur & masters (old person) so I understand the sport. Football too because I went to school in a town that was totally soccer crazy. Sometimes I pick one sport that I know nothing about at random and watch some of that just to try to learn about something new. Last winter olympics it was curling. I still don't understand the rules.

I'd like to see the politics taken out of the games by having the athletes not representing countries. That'd work for individual sports like fencing but I don't know how to organize team sports in a non-country way that doesn't just entrench the existing commercial setup (like those for bike racing and football). It's not gonna happen though.

When I was racing I rode quite a bit with some cyclists who had been olympians. I thought I was dedicated and hard core but those people were on a totally different level. The ones I knew wern't "rich kids" (or adults), just people with extraordinary ability and drive and the willingness forego what most people would consider a normal life.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #59  
I've been watching the bike racing. I raced as an amateur & masters (old person) so I understand the sport. Football too because I went to school in a town that was totally soccer crazy. Sometimes I pick one sport that I know nothing about at random and watch some of that just to try to learn about something new. Last winter olympics it was curling. I still don't understand the rules.

I'd like to see the politics taken out of the games by having the athletes not representing countries. That'd work for individual sports like fencing but I don't know how to organize team sports in a non-country way that doesn't just entrench the existing commercial setup (like those for bike racing and football). It's not gonna happen though.

When I was racing I rode quite a bit with some cyclists who had been olympians. I thought I was dedicated and hard core but those people were on a totally different level. The ones I knew wern't "rich kids" (or adults), just people with extraordinary ability and drive and the willingness forego what most people would consider a normal life.
I was watching tv one day and they were showing curling. I thought that would be a good show to take a nap..But ever since, I watch it. it is interesting. I even attempted to buy one of those "Rocks". Too much for me. $300. I thought it was cool. Ha.
Making olympics free of country might be a good step, but several countries (like China - Russia) probably would have no participation without government entanglement. I guess maybe the it might be the same for the USA.
I can't help but think that everything in life has rules. I think there is an acceptable protocol for both Good Winners and Good Losers. I think this discussion alone may mean there needs to be an acceptable protocol for representing the country and people who sponsored your team (or YOU) and provided an opportunity. I would think Good Winner might include accepting the gift of a medal with respect and grace, not disrespect.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #60  
I wonder. Does disrespecting the American flag on the world stage benefit a cause, or harm the cause on the national stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.