Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection?

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Common for gasoline engines.

If it starts and runs without smoke , is that good enough.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection?
   / Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #4  
This is a TRACTOR forum.

A bit harsh maybe? I don’t know of many tractor owners that don’t have at least one chainsaw.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection?
A bit harsh maybe? I don’t know of many tractor owners that don’t have at least one chainsaw.

OK

Chainsaws or compression ignition $20K+ second hand tractors

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #6  
I would on anything that is easy to get at. Diesels can be a little more of a problem. I personally dont have any adapters for them.

I dont see why you couldn't make that a condition of sale performed by you or a mechanic. If they dont like it, I guess they dont want rid of it.

If I was selling something I would agree to let you have it checked, if you were standing there with the agreed amount when it passed.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #7  
Sure would add to the price of the tractor. Either to the seller of buyer. In a private sale anyway. Honestly don't know of anyone ever doing it..

Suppose it's good insurance.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #8  
If we are talking about brand new tractors - no. Used equipment - maybe but only if the startup and idle indicated the need. First off - I don't see ANY dealership allowing you to do a compression check on a new tractor. Secondly - you show up and want to do a compression check on a used tractor I'm selling - I say NO. YOU are **** retentive and will surely find SOMETHING wrong with the used tractor I'm selling - one way or the other. I do not want to have to deal with you and your inbred problems. Go away.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #9  
Yes.

On a used gas tractor crank it up and listen for any noise or look for white or blue smoke out the exhaust. Ask the owner if it uses any oil and the maintenance and history of the unit. Check the dipstick for water in the oil and the radiator for condition of antifreeze. Look at the tires and overall condition. Never asked for a compression test and don't think it is appropriate.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #10  
you show up and want to do a compression check on a used tractor I'm selling - I say NO. YOU are **** retentive and will surely find SOMETHING wrong with the used tractor I'm selling - one way or the other. I do not want to have to deal with you and your inbred problems. Go away.

I agree. I wouldn't allow anyone to start taking things apart to do tests on it before they decide if they want it or not. There are other ways to check if the engine is in good running condition by observing it running.