Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating?

/ Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating? #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Didn't know whether to post this here or on the 'Country Cookin' forum...

Anybody know if exhaust pipe tubing comes plated or coated with a durable material that would be toxic if it couldn't be removed? I'd be willing to hone the ID if necessary. It's for a cooking widget that would be in contact with frying food.

Thanks.

/ Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating? #2  
Possibly Galvanized might be the only coating I can think of.

/ Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating? #3  
409 SS exhaust tubing is usually not coated. As stated previously, mild steel exhaust tubing is galvsnized.

/ Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating? #4  
Yep definitely go stainless.

/ Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating? #5  
I suspect that the piece has already been selected, hence the question as to what MIGHT be on it.

/ Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating? #6  
If coated at all, it's "aluminized". Factory pipe is usually coated.

/ Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating? #7  
The stuff I used to get was coated with some type of machine or preservative oil. The same as the sheet steel products. I never tried but it probably wouldn't taste good raw or cooked. :cool:

The box-store connectors typically had a plastic or paint (clear) coating to hold down finger print corrosion and rust. Galvanized would definitely be no-go for food.

SS is probably the best. 303, 316, 40x or even a high tech SSC-6MO for acid resistance.

/ Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating?
OP here- Thanks, guys.

I thought it might be easy and cheap to buy tubing for this at any local muffler shop. (This project is just a whimsical experiment.) Since asking for your opinions, I found a major distributor of exhaust system components online that describes their tubing as aluminized. (Aluminum coated) Direct food contact with aluminum is controversial. Also wondering if "aluminized" is conflated with "galvanized", which is actually, a zinc coating. I heard that welders avoid galvanized steel for health reasons and doubt if galvanize would be used on such a commonly welded product.

Stainless tubing is almost perfect but probably only available from online suppliers. No matter how small the quantity, most of my online orders for steel end up at over $50. I just spent 20 minutes trying to get a shipping estimate for SS tubing online that required my zip code but wouldn't allow me to enter it in their little box. Much to be liked about brick and mortar.

Last edited:
   / Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating? #9  
I set fire to myself wearing an old jacket trying to weld galvanized. So, it's not just the fumes.

I have heard it, but I'm not even sure what alluminized exhaust components are. I mean. If they really cared that my exhaust lasted, it would be stainless!

/ Does exhaust pipe tubing have any protective coating? #10  
I set fire to myself wearing an old jacket trying to weld galvanized. So, it's not just the fumes.

I have heard it, but I'm not even sure what alluminized exhaust components are. I mean. If they really cared that my exhaust lasted, it would be stainless!

Aluminized Automotive original equipment exhaust pipe lasts a very, very long time. I have some in use that's old.