Does gas really go bad?

/ Does gas really go bad? #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I have always heard and sort of believed it does.

My father passed away in 2014. My mom died this year and I cleaned out and sold their house last week. I found a chainsaw in Dad痴 shop that 100% hasn稚 been touched since 2013 and likely wasn稚 used for at least a few years prior to that. Where we live is almost all farm ground and chainsaws don稚 get used here like they do in many parts of the country. In fact most people here don稚 even have them.

Anyway for giggles I decided to see if I could start it. Started on the fifth pull and seemed to run perfectly. Dad didn稚 use stabil or any of the new premix fuels in a can. If gas goes bad so quickly how did this thing operate perfectly on at least seven likely ten year old gas?

/ Does gas really go bad? #2  
You win the lottery. Drain it ASAP. Best to use non ethanol gas.

/ Does gas really go bad? #3  
I have always heard and sort of believed it does.

My father passed away in 2014. My mom died this year and I cleaned out and sold their house last week. I found a chainsaw in Dad痴 shop that 100% hasn稚 been touched since 2013 and likely wasn稚 used for at least a few years prior to that. Where we live is almost all farm ground and chainsaws don稚 get used here like they do in many parts of the country. In fact most people here don稚 even have them.

Anyway for giggles I decided to see if I could start it. Started on the fifth pull and seemed to run perfectly. Dad didn稚 use stabil or any of the new premix fuels in a can. If gas goes bad so quickly how did this thing operate perfectly on at least seven likely ten year old gas?

Just my own experience... I've never had a fuel problem with "old" gasoline. I only use 87 octane 10% ethanol. I've been using that since the 80's. It's the fuel that's recommended by all of my engine manufacturers, so that's what I use. I've had one (1) fuel line go mushy on a chainsaw. I'm told it was ethanol related, but no one can confirm that. Most of my engines get used regularly, but things like the log splitter can sit for a year or more. Never a fuel problem. Our first tractor was a mid 70s IH2500b with a gas engine. It would sit all winter out on our remote property. I'd check the glass water bowl under the fuel tank and never found water in the tank in the 10 years we owned it.

There's all kinds of stories about old gas, ethanol, etc... I don't doubt people have problems with it. I guess I've just been lucky. ;)

/ Does gas really go bad? #4  
I have absolutely had 'old gas' turn to junk. Yellowed, cloudy and stinks really, really bad. And it wasn't anywhere near 10 years old. Maybe 2 at the most. Did it take on too much moisture through condensation? Could be. Stored in a 2+ gallon plastic container.

Could the gas in the OP have been pure gas rather than corn juice?

/ Does gas really go bad? #5  
Sometime you can mix old gas with new gas and it will run fine...dump old gas and little carb cleaner.

/ Does gas really go bad? #6  
Yes, gas absolutely does go bad. Especially the ethanol crap they force us to buy now. The alcohol in ethanol combines with water and corrodes the inside of your carburetor. And gas left for very long will lose its aromatics, the volatile molecules that make it easier to start your engine.

Rebeldad is right, you won the lottery on that one. I'm amazed that the carb wasn't totally clogged, but pleased for you that it wasn't.

/ Does gas really go bad? #7  
I've seen gas go bad, if it's over a year old, it can get gummy, and even get hard.. if you don't expect to use it within a year, it's best to dump the gas in the tank, then run the engine on the gas left in the carburetor until it stops!. I recently worked on a generator that had 2 year old gummy gas, the guy went to use it in a storm, and it wouldn't start, it was gummed up with gummy gas..

/ Does gas really go bad? #8  
Owning a plane makes avgas available to me. 100 octane, 2% TEL. That stuff NEVER goes bad.

auto fuel is bad juju for anything that doesn't have a catalytic convertor. My Model A and Harley do better with Avgas, even my chainsaw likes it (and smells better too) My old sears tractor the grandkids drive when they visit works great.
There's paperwork available for airplane engines to allow the use of autogas, as long as there's no alcohol. At the airport they called it "Mogas" but as far as I know, it's not available anymore.. I do hear that some marine fuelers have it available.

If auto gas can be get sealed from moisture, it will last longer.

/ Does gas really go bad? #10  
Did the Wiki thing with gas the other day. Filled my 5 gallon can with regular unleaded at the filling station (BP), took it home, took a 1 gallon clear plastic water jug, put a pint of bottled water in the bottom with red food coloring, dumped in the regular unleaded to about an inch from the top, put on the lid and shook it up real good and sat it down and watched the corn alcohol precipitate out of the gas to the bottom of the jug along with the entrained water. This morning all the corn alcohol is in the bottom with the water and the gas is clear as water. Gonna siphon it off and fill it again and again and again, until I have at least a 5 gallon can for the small engines. Non e-gas is hard to find around here and those stations that have it charge a premium price for it.

You do need to add about 1/2 ounce of acetone to the 'refined' gas to get the octane rating back up. Removing the corn alcohol drpos the octant rating a bit.