Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower??

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #41  
In theory yes but a when you’re comparing a compact tractor the HST one will almost always be done faster. Even in a test that’s a direct comparison of driveline power like pulling a wagon up a hill the HST could end up winning. A compact gear tractor never has enough gears to get the right one and you have to compromise on to slow. The HST could go exactly the speed you want.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #42  
The convenience of not having to feather a clutch or keep one hand on a shifter when doing a delicate operation or where speed could vary widely & rapidly, HST is nice.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #43  
I owned a gear shift for 15 years and never thought twice about having to use the clutch so frequently. I would grade my driveway, plow snow and haul logs, so it really was not an issue at all. Then the time came for me to get a larger tractor last year and since all the dealer had was HST, I figured I'd test drive one since they are so popular. I spent an hour on their lot and didn't really have a chance to put it to work. But I was anxious for a new ride so I bought it and had it delivered a day later.

The big day came and I was planning to spend the weekend spreading about 15 yards of loam. Inside of the first hour, I knew I had made a mistake. I would approach the pile and the machine would bog down and then finally get the balls to lift a load. It almost felt like a 1-2 second delay from what I knew. No where near as responsive as my gear was. Needless to say, I was disappointed and called the dealer and he asked me to stop by so he could "teach" me how to drive an HST, because they are clearly different than gear. Even after spending an hour learning that you do not press down on the pedal when approaching a pile, it just did not feel right to me.

Since they did not have a gear version on the lot, I drove to another dealer and hopped on a shuttle shift version of my tractor and knew in 10 seconds flat that was what I wanted. It fit like a glove. So I returned my HST with 3 hours on it and waited another 3 weeks for a shuttle version to come from the factory. Best decision I ever made.

I'll agree with earlier posts that HST is more popular because the majority of suburban tractor owners (who make up a lot of the tractors sold) are clueless how to use a clutch. There is no doubt that HST's have their place for certain types of work, as do shuttle/gear. It is a personal preference and I cannot think of a single occasion where my shuttle did not do everything I have asked it to do, even delicate task that require me to move only an inch.

While you may not spend much time using the clutch with an HST, you make up for it reaching for the cruise control.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #44  
I owned a gear shift for 15 years and never thought twice about having to use the clutch so frequently. I would grade my driveway, plow snow and haul logs, so it really was not an issue at all. Then the time came for me to get a larger tractor last year and since all the dealer had was HST, I figured I'd test drive one since they are so popular. I spent an hour on their lot and didn't really have a chance to put it to work. But I was anxious for a new ride so I bought it and had it delivered a day later.

The big day came and I was planning to spend the weekend spreading about 15 yards of loam. Inside of the first hour, I knew I had made a mistake. I would approach the pile and the machine would bog down and then finally get the balls to lift a load. It almost felt like a 1-2 second delay from what I knew. No where near as responsive as my gear was. Needless to say, I was disappointed and called the dealer and he asked me to stop by so he could "teach" me how to drive an HST, because they are clearly different than gear. Even after spending an hour learning that you do not press down on the pedal when approaching a pile, it just did not feel right to me.

Since they did not have a gear version on the lot, I drove to another dealer and hopped on a shuttle shift version of my tractor and knew in 10 seconds flat that was what I wanted. It fit like a glove. So I returned my HST with 3 hours on it and waited another 3 weeks for a shuttle version to come from the factory. Best decision I ever made.

I'll agree with earlier posts that HST is more popular because the majority of suburban tractor owners (who make up a lot of the tractors sold) are clueless how to use a clutch. There is no doubt that HST's have their place for certain types of work, as do shuttle/gear. It is a personal preference and I cannot think of a single occasion where my shuttle did not do everything I have asked it to do, even delicate task that require me to move only an inch.

While you may not spend much time using the clutch with an HST, you make up for it reaching for the cruise control.

I wouldn’t be that apposed to a good shuttle shift transmission and not at all apposed to a torque converter transmission like a lot of construction equipment has. But those are a totally different beast than a dry clutch gear trans.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #45  
Wow, this thread is really getting a little tribal! I grow weary of reading "if anyone who doesn't agree with my particular choice of transmission, they are obviously mistaken." Having owned and/or operated HST, geared tractor with dry clutch or shuttle for many years, I can understand how someone could prefer one over the others, either way. None can claim absolute superiority for all conditions, and each have advantages in certain conditions. And if one has any ability at all to adapt, one could easily live with any of them under most any condition.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #46  
Wow, this thread is really getting a little tribal! I grow weary of reading "if anyone who doesn't agree with my particular choice of transmission, they are obviously mistaken." Having owned and/or operated HST, geared tractor with dry clutch or shuttle for many years, I can understand how someone could prefer one over the others, either way. None can claim absolute superiority for all conditions, and each have advantages in certain conditions. And if one has any ability at all to adapt, one could easily live with any of them under most any condition.
Well stated. For my uses after owning a gear drive tractor for 12 years and now a HST for almost two years, HST is better for me. Both will accomplish the work I need to do on my property but the HST is faster and easier to operate.

There is no right or wrong, just what works best for the most of the users uses.

Last edited:
   / Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #47  
....and ALL transmissions have parasitic loss of power between the flywheel and the final drive. Obviously, HST's have more than standard gears. All distills down to what you prefer.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #48  
Why I prefer my hydraulic shuttles. One, there is no dry clutch to wear out and two it's extremely manageable especially when moving in small increments. The 'clutch' is a wet multi plate wet pack so there is basically no wear. In 6000 hours, I've never adjusted the freeplay on the 'clutch' pedal and that is 99% loader work.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #49  
It amazes me how many commenters have dropped a portion of the question (seemingly to support their position). The ‘from the PTO’ has disappeared from their responses.
Perhaps it was poor word choice, but at the same time it is out many will state the hp issue from gear drive to HST drive.
Frankly the brand makes little difference in this discussion. Stay in the same brand your choice green, blue, red, orange or whatever. Select a model that comes in both a gear and HST drive, and you will consistently see that in the HST drive less hp gets to the PTO. This makes the tradition engine hp description much less useful. And face it 99% of tractor buyers ate doing so for PTO project involvement, be it mowing (finish or rough), tilling, broadcasting material or any number of activities. So now with the movement so strongly toward HST, PTO hp becomes more important than engine hp.
The simple fact is that with an HST tractor, more hp will be consumed prior to reaching the PTO than on a gear driven tractor. Is this a bad thing? Probably not! But for PTO operations, the buyer needs to aware!

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #50  
To continue splitting hairs that don't make much difference; the PTO drive does not go through the HST, so there is no power to be lost to the PTO because of a HST. So if the tractor is stationary the PTO HP on a HST or shuttle will be identical. If the tractor is being driven, engine hp is being used to both power the PTO and to move the tractor. The HST does use more of the engine hp to drive the tractor, making less available to the PTO. But in a situation such as mowing heavy brush where PTO hp is an important consideration, the PTO is usually consuming the bulk of the engine HP while moving the tractor isn't using much power at all, so the real world difference is quite negligible. However in the extremely rare instances you are mowing thick brush while going up a steep hill at maximum speed in high range, you would likely see a noticeable difference.