Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower??

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #81  
I’ve never seen a small tractor like 5,000 pounds or less on this side of the pond with 12 gears. 4 with a hi/low would be a more common package. Admittedly I haven’t spent much time looking at small geared tractor transmissions because I don’t have any desire to have one.
My mahindrs 2810 has a 12x12 shuttle tranny. But when brushhogging i still would like more gears sometimes. My old mf 255 is an 8x2 and you are never in the right gear.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #82  
Maybe you young guys like shifting the gears as us old fogies like
the hydro's as our knees and clutches don't get along so good.

One question I have is never brought up.

All I ever read is that clutches can be troublesome for knees, but what about the need for your right foot to be constantly applying see-saw pressure to a treadle? I would have to think that can be just as painful to some instances.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #83  

All I ever read is that clutches can be troublesome for knees, but what about the need for your right foot to be constantly applying see-saw pressure to a treadle? I would have to think that can be just as painful to some instances.
Trust me, it isn't. Also Hydro machines have cruise control (most do anyway) so you can take your foot off of the pedal (s) for some length of time like while mowing. Until you need to maneuver around something the cruise keeps the pedal mashed. Of course a gear tractor can mow just as well as long as the terrain and the load on the mower is even. Just set the throttle in the chosen gear and away you go. BUT when the mowing is NOT even, then the hydro shines.

When you come to the sections that is up hill or bumpy or the growth is high, just take over and rapidly adjust the pedal pressure as needed to slow down and speed up as needed. No swatting of flies and stomping of rats like you have to do with gear and even range swaps to maintain the speed you need. Hydro really shines in this application. Likewise hydro is superior in loader/fork work. It just is. I have owned both types several times over and the results are in.

Just like gear is superior in some application like plowing a large field. There is no doubt. Gear machines will produce less heat and have superior fuel economy. Everything you do out in a field as long as it does not require much speed or directional changes will benefit from the greater efficiency of a gear machine.

After you have done 8 hours of loader work with old knees with a gear machine, you will understand the benefits of a hydro machine in loader work. It is that simple.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #84  

My decision to upgrade to a tractor with HST was sped up by a case of quad tendonitis. A day pushing the clutch on my previous tractor or a few trips up and down a ladder and I was useless for a couple of days. The HST pedal causes me no problems and I rarely use cruise.

For my uses, mostly bush hogging and FEL work, HST is so more efficient.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #85  
Tractor PTO is mechanical/gear all the way through.

Engine power transfer to the PTO will be the same whether tractor has a gear transmission or an HST transmission as PTO does not interface with the wheel transmission.

Engine power transferred to tractor wheels will be higher with a gear transmission.

HST is easier to use and speed choice infinite but it is pump/hydraulically driven, which is less efficient transferring energy than mechanical/gear drive.

Only a few tractor brands offer an HST transmission on tractors generating more than 60 engine horsepower. Over 60 engine horsepower most new tractors are available only with gear + shuttle shift.

HST and Gear/Shuttle are equally reliable.

HST and Gear/Shuttle are more reliable than traditional Gear/Clutch .

VIDEO:

Neal Messick, Messick's Tractor, ( five stores in Pennsylvania )
relates that Messick's sales are 90% HST in tractors of 60 horsepower or less.
HST if for the little flower bed tractors.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #86  
And Cat 938 wheel loaders.

Most new mid size wheel loaders have hydro transmissions now. Less shock, faster cycle times, seemingly endless power and faster speed. How? I have no idea. But they move. And dig like no torque converter machine I've ever operated.

/ Does HST Transmission Rob Horsepower?? #87  
Trust me, it isn't. Also Hydro machines have cruise control (most do anyway) so you can take your foot off of the pedal (s) for some length of time like while mowing. Until you need to maneuver around something the cruise keeps the pedal mashed. Of course a gear tractor can mow just as well as long as the terrain and the load on the mower is even. Just set the throttle in the chosen gear and away you go. BUT when the mowing is NOT even, then the hydro shines.

When you come to the sections that is up hill or bumpy or the growth is high, just take over and rapidly adjust the pedal pressure as needed to slow down and speed up as needed. No swatting of flies and stomping of rats like you have to do with gear and even range swaps to maintain the speed you need. Hydro really shines in this application. Likewise hydro is superior in loader/fork work. It just is. I have owned both types several times over and the results are in.

Just like gear is superior in some application like plowing a large field. There is no doubt. Gear machines will produce less heat and have superior fuel economy. Everything you do out in a field as long as it does not require much speed or directional changes will benefit from the greater efficiency of a gear machine.

After you have done 8 hours of loader work with old knees with a gear machine, you will understand the benefits of a hydro machine in loader work. It is that simple.
The hydro trannys have been inproved over the years and now there
is very little difference between the two. Those who want a standard
tyranny's just buy them. I prefer the hydro mush easier to use. Everyone has there opinion on tranny's just like tractors that's why they made so many different tractors and models to choose from

willy
wanna keep a blonde busy? write on the top of the paper both sides
"OVER"

Last edited: