Doesn't get much more rural than this....

/ Doesn't get much more rural than this.... #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
C131DA34-2CB7-4EF2-9911-08998DE6132B.jpeg

/ Doesn't get much more rural than this.... #2  
Looks like his front wheels sunk in the ditch to me but funny headline anyway.

/ Doesn't get much more rural than this.... #3  
We are as rural as it gets; this happened to me Saturday morning...

Attachments

• iii.jpg
    iii.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 203
   / Doesn't get much more rural than this.... #4  
Not just in rural area. When I worked in Central NJ I had to use a road that had a farm on both sides.
2 days a week would be cattle crossing and I would get stuck if I left for work late until the cows were all across.
This is near somerset NJ, so not very backwoods.

/ Doesn't get much more rural than this....
Not just in rural area. When I worked in Central NJ I had to use a road that had a farm on both sides.
2 days a week would be cattle crossing and I would get stuck if I left for work late until the cows were all across.
This is near somerset NJ, so not very backwoods.
When I was a kid there was a dairy farm just north of here that had the milking barn on the west side of the road and the pastures on the east. They milked twice a day, so 4 times a day they'd close the road with gates to get the cows into the barn to be milked or back into the pasture to graze. It's one of my fondest memories as a little kid. Sitting in the car with my family watching the cows cross the road on our way to or from the beaches at Lake Michigan. :)

/ Doesn't get much more rural than this.... #6  
Same thing happened to us on Saturday. We left the ranch early in the morning to go grocery shopping. While in the store, I get a voice mail from the county animal control saying that there are "loose black and white cows" on our road, about four miles from the ranch. We are thinking "WTH??!, They were chewing cud happily when we drove out." We raise the only black and white cows on the road (belted galloways, and the local brand inspector knows that we are the only ones around), so we figure that they have to be ours. Almost everyone around us raises black angus, though one or two have a couple of Charolais, so it sure seems like our cattle got out and some tourist drove behind them to push them down the road. That means the cows are going to be hot and upset, and everyone is six months pregnant at the moment.

We can't exactly speed home, but we dropped what we were doing and head home trying to think what the heck could have happened. Sure enough about four miles from home, cow flops in the road. We are thinking this is not good, not good at all. A bit further on, we come around the corner and see a sheriff's assistant driving down, and flag her down. As we speak with her, she confirms that it is a herd of loose black and white cows (we are still thinking "darn! How did our cows get out?") and that they are looking for the owner. We fess up and say that we breed black and white cows, to which she says, "Oh, no we are looking the owner Mr. XXXX XXXX.", who is our neighbor, three and a half miles down the road, but they don't know where he is for some reason. (Seriously? I saw the deputies there last week on a call.) We offer to show her his place, and a mile up the road we come to the herd of cattle consisting of;
one upset black bull,
six Charolais cows,
an angus steer, and
a pair of Herefords
Mystery solved, some loose "black cows" and some loose "white cows"... not some loose "black and white" cows.

Ours were still snoozing in the shade when we got home.

Rural life...

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Doesn't get much more rural than this.... #7  
There some out there would call the police and make stink about it,but the cows etc. only doing what they no best for them.

/ Doesn't get much more rural than this.... #8  
Back when we milked cows the night pastures were across the road from the barns so 60 to 100 milk cows crossed the road daily. A neighbor walked his down the road daily 40-60 milk cows for a mile every morning and afternoon.
After switching to beef we move 60 to 120 across the road several times a year.

/ Doesn't get much more rural than this.... #9  
Typical Nevada scenes...keep in mind most of Nevada is still "Open Range" designated so livestock have the right of way.
IMG_2569r.jpg

P1090195eptbnr.jpg

/ Doesn't get much more rural than this.... #10  
That’s a beautiful sight Deserteagle71.
I hope it didn’t make you late to where you were going, but those mountains and cattle make a beautiful picture