Dog Bite, New Problems

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I posted about a month ago about the young lady who had the stray dog come in the house and bite her. Well she now has another problem. Bear with me on this. I am reporting what the mother has said and neither of us are medical professionals. So the terminology or descriptions may not be accurate. This is all second hand info. Doing the best I can.

The mother was changing the bandages and cleaning the wounds when she noticed a place that didn't look right. So she took her to the family doctor. He cleaned the leg completely and found another similar spot a couple inches from the first. These places are in the largest of the four muscles on top of the leg that were shredded in the attack. For some reason there is a tunnel connecting the two wounds! The doctor immediately sent her to the would management center in the local hospital. They examined the leg, summoned some more doctors to look at it, and told the parents that they would have to do a procedure on it. It will set back her therapy for at least a couple weeks and be fairly expensive. Told them it could take up to fifteen days for the insurance to approve the procedure. It was late in the afternoon so the family went home. Early the next morning the wound center called the mother and basically said to heck with the insurance, if they don't pay we will eat the cost. Bring her in immediately. Cannot say for sure what the problem is other than two spots in the muscle have a tunnel between them. Can't cay for sure when the procedure will be or what it is but the mother said that the nurses were extremely concerned.

This is going to turn into a year long ordeal for the little girl.

RSKY

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #3  
Thanks for the post. Please followup with the results. As said, would assume some type of infection. It has certainly alarmed the medical staff.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #4  
Its could be the dreaded, spreading, flesh eating bacteria. Treatment requires surgically removing all the infected material.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #5  
Yeah, I fear that as well. I believe the infected flesh rots away.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #6  
The only good part - the mother recognized it as a problem.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #7  
The only good part - the mother recognized it as a problem.

Not so. At least the doctors wanted to move forward, not waiting for insurance.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #8  
Are the dog owners (if known) ponying up any of the cost. IIRC a couple of girls corraled the dog and ran off.

/ Dog Bite, New Problems #10  
Told them it could take up to fifteen days for the insurance to approve the procedure.

What insurance is that?

Sounds like emergency surgery to me..