Dog pics

/ Dog pics #1,711  
Gilly is now 9 weeks old. One of my older dogs has started playing with him (At last!) and he has discovered the joy of playing in our local lake. Here he is splashing in the shallows.

/ Dog pics #1,712  
Best $72 I've ever spent. Lab+Mastiff. Two-time rescue from the pound. We're her third owners. "Xena" was her name and we kept it: she still wears her original collar- it's her heritage :) Third time is a charm I suppose- she's got 40 acres to roam, plus the general neighborhood. Got her at 11 months of age. She's now six. She guards our fowl when she's outside (and when inside the house she'll alert if there's any trouble outside): guards against both ground and aerial predators. Never intended for her to be our LGD (Livestock Guardian Dog), but we ended up needing help and she came to OUR rescue. We're hoping that when we do get certified LGDs that she'll help train them.

P1090015.JPG

/ Dog pics #1,714  
Nice looking dog DB. Obviously cared for.

My first dog since I was a kid. Waited a long time because I didn't want a dog w/o having property.

Picture of her with some of our fowl (Guinea Fowl; they're the first to react to threats; the dog is keyed on/off of them), she was enjoying a nice sunny day and this mob showed up!:

P1090325.JPG

/ Dog pics #1,715  
We have Guinea fowl as well. Used to have over 20 but down to 7 now. We sold the girls as they drove us nuts with their noise. They are great for warning of snakes and goannas. As soon as they start calling the dogs go running.

Just took this pic out my computer room window. Shows some guinea fowls, goose, chooks and Mained geese

/ Dog pics #1,716  
Ha ha! We had about that many a couple years back and they slowly got picked off by owls: rather than roosting in the coop they'd roost up in the trees. Current batch (wife's idea, no mine!) is now close to that number and they've been holding steady: they are really good about getting back to their coop at dusk- we did a better job at bonding them to the coop.

So used to Guineas that I am not sure I could deal with all the silence if we didn't have them! :laughing:

It's great to see the interaction between the animals. We've got other fowl and the work by the Guineas and the dog help keep them safe.

Another dog picture ("Hey! I'm working here!"):

P1100227.JPG

/ Dog pics #1,717  
That's a great looking dog. Looks a lot like my Black Mouth Cur. Always has a serious look on his face. I suppose they should because they're serious about their job!

Last edited:
   / Dog pics #1,718  
Alien, that's cool. It's like here, our windows are our "TV" :D

Another picture of Xena (why no one at the animal shelter was interested in her is beyond me- folks were all agog over some Pit Bull when we showed up to see Xena; I'll forever be grateful for the Pit Bull :)):

8491898938_67c2f3a7b6_o.jpg

/ Dog pics #1,719  
That's a great looking dog. Looks a lot like my Black Mouth Cur. Always has a serious look on his face. I suppose they should because they're serious about their job!

Always serious, like this?:

8582014808_0fa9e36b51_k.jpg

:laughing:

This dog has many faces. She can look like the silliest dog there is or she can look like one of the most ferocious dog that you'll ever see.

/ Dog pics #1,720  
Yeah, mine looks like that when asked to do something he really don't want to do.

Are you sure yours is not a black mouth cur? We were told ours was a mastiff/shepherd mix and turns out to be a BMC. Best dog we've ever had.