Dog pics

/ Dog pics #2,561  
Sorry about the long post. my two dogs are currently in the vet with an IV stuck in them.

Shepard’s: Max (101lbs) & GiGi (84lbs)

Yesterday to the best of our guess, around 5pm the dogs got ahold of a whole bag of grapes and ate every grape in the bag. When I got home around 12am I noticed the grape bag on the ground along with a few grape vines still perfectly intact, no bite marks on the vines. So I figured they just picked the bag and vines out of the trash and carried them to the couch.

My sister rents a room in my house currently, they were her grapes, she left the grapes beside her bananas on the counter well out of normal reach of the dogs, one of them must have jumped up on the counter and dragged the bag off. Together they ate the whole bag.

She replied saying the bag was full of grapes, I immediately called the local animal hospital and informed them of the situation and they said bring the dogs in right away.

It was around 1am by the time I got the dogs to the hospital, they did the exam, told me my options and took the dogs to induce vomiting, they got grapes out of both dogs, but not much which means most of the grapes are in their systems at this time.

They gave me a quoit of how they put it would be their “golden treatment”. That included the dogs spending 24-48 hours there on an IV, blood tests, charcoal etc etc. $1200-$1650 per dog. I about swallowed my tongue. I knew it was gonna be high but not that high.

The second option was to take charcoal home with us and administer it after the anti-nausea meds kicked in, and gamble that was enough.

The vet informed me that it’s a 50/50 chance the dogs will react to the grapes or not, there is no way of knowing whether or not if one will react or not. But if they do it’s vomiting and kidney failure.

I called my primary vets office, her answering machine has the ability to leave a message if there is an emergency and she will call is back. Surprisingly the vet called us back within 10 mins, we informed her of what was going on, what they planned to do and asked what her office could do for them and if we could get them in first thing when they open (5 hours from that conversation), she wasn’t for sure what dogs they had coming in today and if they had enough space but she would see them first thing.

I decided to go with plan B which was $460 per dog and take them to my vet as soon as they opened for further treatment there.

So to recap, at the emergency pet hospital, they induced vomiting, gave them a anti-nausea medication, drew blood for a blood test, gave them (forget what it’s called), fluid under their skin, like a big limp of fluid, gave us the proper amount of charcoal to take home to give them. My sister felt guilty and paid for one dogs treatment at the emergency hospital. I know she didn’t do it on purpose, I never got upset with her or blamed her, the dogs got up on the counter where they shouldn’t have been and ate something they knew wasn’t theirs. Plus I told her that’s what the emergency fund is for, like Dave Ramsey says, it turns a crisis into an inconvenience. Lol

Charcoal wasn’t fun, there was just so much of it, one dog got 350 ML, the other dog got 450 ML in these big syringe style applicators.

So by the time we got home, got the charcoal in the dogs, it was around 5am and the vet office opened at 8am, needless to say I only got about 2 hours of sleep lol.

I took them into my vet, reiterated what the hospital did (hospital sent them records and bloodwork results) and asked them where we should go from there. They still suggested an IV which flushes the kidneys, I asked how much it was.... (remember the difference between what I chose and the IV in house 24-48h treatment option was a $720 per dog difference), the vet assistant said it would be $200 for both dogs per day, the only stipulation is they close at 7pm and aren’t there all night). I said let’s go ahead and do the IV, I said I’ll call back in around 5pm and get an update of how they are doing, there was concern about leaving the IV in all night, if they are planning to take the IV out for the night, I will make arrangements to have them picked up at 7pm and I would bring them back tomorrow morning at 8am when they open for another day of IV fluids. They also plan to do more bloodwork tomorrow morning to test their kidney function.

I’ll post back here when I get more information.

So the moral of the story is to keep the dang grapes and raisins, out of the reach of the pups lol.

Also the numbers I threw out are actually pretty good numbers, I have read where other people were quoted far more than I was at the emergency vet. IMG_2616.JPGIMG_0451.JPG

/ Dog pics #2,562  
Sorry about the long post. my two dogs are currently in the vet with an IV stuck in them.

Shepard’s: Max (101lbs) & GiGi (84lbs)

Yesterday to the best of our guess, around 5pm the dogs got ahold of a whole bag of grapes and ate every grape in the bag. When I got home around 12am I noticed the grape bag on the ground along with a few grape vines still perfectly intact, no bite marks on the vines. So I figured they just picked the bag and vines out of the trash and carried them to the couch.

My sister rents a room in my house currently, they were her grapes, she left the grapes beside her bananas on the counter well out of normal reach of the dogs, one of them must have jumped up on the counter and dragged the bag off. Together they ate the whole bag.

She replied saying the bag was full of grapes, I immediately called the local animal hospital and informed them of the situation and they said bring the dogs in right away.

It was around 1am by the time I got the dogs to the hospital, they did the exam, told me my options and took the dogs to induce vomiting, they got grapes out of both dogs, but not much which means most of the grapes are in their systems at this time.

They gave me a quoit of how they put it would be their “golden treatment”. That included the dogs spending 24-48 hours there on an IV, blood tests, charcoal etc etc. $1200-$1650 per dog. I about swallowed my tongue. I knew it was gonna be high but not that high.

The second option was to take charcoal home with us and administer it after the anti-nausea meds kicked in, and gamble that was enough.

The vet informed me that it’s a 50/50 chance the dogs will react to the grapes or not, there is no way of knowing whether or not if one will react or not. But if they do it’s vomiting and kidney failure.

I called my primary vets office, her answering machine has the ability to leave a message if there is an emergency and she will call is back. Surprisingly the vet called us back within 10 mins, we informed her of what was going on, what they planned to do and asked what her office could do for them and if we could get them in first thing when they open (5 hours from that conversation), she wasn’t for sure what dogs they had coming in today and if they had enough space but she would see them first thing.

I decided to go with plan B which was $460 per dog and take them to my vet as soon as they opened for further treatment there.

So to recap, at the emergency pet hospital, they induced vomiting, gave them a anti-nausea medication, drew blood for a blood test, gave them (forget what it’s called), fluid under their skin, like a big limp of fluid, gave us the proper amount of charcoal to take home to give them. My sister felt guilty and paid for one dogs treatment at the emergency hospital. I know she didn’t do it on purpose, I never got upset with her or blamed her, the dogs got up on the counter where they shouldn’t have been and ate something they knew wasn’t theirs. Plus I told her that’s what the emergency fund is for, like Dave Ramsey says, it turns a crisis into an inconvenience. Lol

Charcoal wasn’t fun, there was just so much of it, one dog got 350 ML, the other dog got 450 ML in these big syringe style applicators.

So by the time we got home, got the charcoal in the dogs, it was around 5am and the vet office opened at 8am, needless to say I only got about 2 hours of sleep lol.

I took them into my vet, reiterated what the hospital did (hospital sent them records and bloodwork results) and asked them where we should go from there. They still suggested an IV which flushes the kidneys, I asked how much it was.... (remember the difference between what I chose and the IV in house 24-48h treatment option was a $720 per dog difference), the vet assistant said it would be $200 for both dogs per day, the only stipulation is they close at 7pm and aren’t there all night). I said let’s go ahead and do the IV, I said I’ll call back in around 5pm and get an update of how they are doing, there was concern about leaving the IV in all night, if they are planning to take the IV out for the night, I will make arrangements to have them picked up at 7pm and I would bring them back tomorrow morning at 8am when they open for another day of IV fluids. They also plan to do more bloodwork tomorrow morning to test their kidney function.

I’ll post back here when I get more information.

So the moral of the story is to keep the dang grapes and raisins, out of the reach of the pups lol.

Also the numbers I threw out are actually pretty good numbers, I have read where other people were quoted far more than I was at the emergency vet. View attachment 594486View attachment 594487
Man I'm sorry to hear that. My prayers to you and your dogs that they're ok after treatment.

They're beautiful looking dogs.

/ Dog pics #2,563  
My GS has stolen a few sticks of butter off the counter. I think we finally got counter surfing trained out but a fresh steak may be too enticing. Never had an issue with grapes but we are careful that the dogs don't get any. Hopefully all goes well for them and you.

Frey.jpg

/ Dog pics #2,565  
Come home to the $%&*! neighbors dog at the front door...

D.png

Wish they would neuter him. Go to play with him and he gets so excited... won't bore you with the details LOL

/ Dog pics #2,566  

My house rule is no grapes or raisins in the house. None. Zero. I had a dog I gave IVs to at home for 4 years because a dog sitter unknowingly fed it grapes. I hope your dogs recover. Great fast action on your part!

/ Dog pics #2,567  
BFJ, I really hope that your pups get better. Great job realizing what happened and getting them treated. Nice looking pups.

/ Dog pics #2,568  
About 7 or 8 years ago the one that short circuited the labrador's brain enough to get up on the counter was a venison meat pie with lots of onions (venison and lamb both fry her inhibitions), she got about half of it. Tried to induce vomiting and was on the phone to my vet and ASPCA poison control. Tried to get her vomit a couple more times, then got in the truck to take her to Tufts. Stopped for gas on the way and when I went to get back in the truck she wouldn't get out of my side, so I picked her up and moved her over. Vomit on the center of the bench seat. Talked to poison control again who figured we were in the clear. "Good girl, now we can go home!"

These things always seem to occur late at night on a weekend when the regular office isn't open...

/ Dog pics #2,570  
I've had dogs forever and never knew about grapes being toxic. Thanks for the info. I've been researching it and apparently the effects range from nothing or mild to deadly depending on the dog or grape variety with little predictability.