Backhoe Dolly for LS XG3025 LB1106 Backhoe

/ Dolly for LS XG3025 LB1106 Backhoe #1  

fgsiii

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XG3025
I have searched the forum several times hoping to find information on building a dolly for the LS 1106 backhoe, all without success. There are many posts about backhoe dollies but all for different manufactures. The long subframe makes the LS backhoe substantially different from the other manufactures that I've been able to find. Has anyone built a dolly for the LB1106 or one of the larger LS hoes? I'm guessing the weight of the LB1106 is in the 900 to 1000 pound range, has anyone determined the exact weight to include the subframe? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ Dolly for LS XG3025 LB1106 Backhoe #2  
Could you post a picture of the backhoe off the machine? I drove by my dealer a few days ago and they had the XG3025 with a back hoe and I did note the long subframe. Does all that come off with the hoe?
I'm just curious as I have a MT125 which has a much smaller hoe and more coventional but it would be interesting to see what that truly looks like off the machine.

Last edited:
   / Dolly for LS XG3025 LB1106 Backhoe
Yes it all comes off with the hoe. Unfortunately I currently have plans to use the backhoe on several projects before I attempt to take it off, maybe someone else can provide the photo you are interested in. I did see a photo of one somewhere on the net but don't recall where.

/ Dolly for LS XG3025 LB1106 Backhoe #4  
I have a JD 485 Backhoe (currently mounted on a JD 5055E) that I've been thinking about a dolly for some time. The backhoe weighs somewhere between 1460# and 1800#. The 1800# is the shipping weight the dealer gave me. The subframe is looonnnngg. From the pivot point of the boom to the front of the subframe is 6.5' and from the pivot point to the bucket is another 4'. I've put off building a dolly because finding the casters that would support the weight wasn't happening - until another thread on this forum let me know that Surplus Center has some really nice swivel casters that will support 1,000# each. Four of those arrived yesterday.

Most of the weight is balanced near the pivot point so 2 casters will carry 90% of the weight and will only need other casters for balance. I'll have to see what I have in the way of metal before I actually come up with a design. My first thought is that i'll only need to span 3' for the heavy weight bearing supports, but it will have to be at 2 levels because of the way the subframe is designed. Once I get that figured out, the rest should be easy.

I also have a project that requires the backhoe, so it will be a while before I get a chance to work on this. I'll try to remember to take pictures, otherwise, the steel might only be imaginary :laughing:

/ Dolly for LS XG3025 LB1106 Backhoe #5  
This is not my backhoe (this is a jd 595 - i think) but it gives you an idea as to what mine looks like off the tractor with the really long subframe.

jd_backhoe.jpg

Thanks for the info & photo 3Ts. That backhoe looks to be much larger than the one on my XG3025 but very similar in design, at least from the looks. I'm going to check out the casters at the Surplus Center. I think steel wheels would be the way to go, especially if the hoe sits on the dolly for long periods of time. It would be hard to move with flat spots on the wheels.

/ Dolly for LS XG3025 LB1106 Backhoe #7  
This is not my backhoe (this is a jd 595 - i think) but it gives you an idea as to what mine looks like off the tractor with the really long subframe.

View attachment 561055

Wow!! Thanks 3Ts for the picture. That's a lot of hoe/sub-frame that goes forward. I had no idea it all came off like that. Pretty amazing. I would love to see a video of how you get that on the ground.

Again thanks for the picture. Certainly answers my curiosity.

/ Dolly for LS XG3025 LB1106 Backhoe #8  
I would love to see a video of how you get that on the ground.
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: So would I! There are "only" 2 pins that have to be removed to take it off or put it on. Piece of cake, how hard could it possibly be? :confused: I've got it down to 2 hours to take it off or put it on. The 2 pins are easy, it's the side to side alignment and parallelism that's the problem since the tractor has to be moved within 1/4" accuracy for it to go on. Thus the dolly for the fine adjustment.

That picture is for a larger backhoe than I have, I put that up to show how the subframe looks.

On edit: Once the pins are pulled and the blocking is in place the backhoe will demount itself using the stabilizers and boom/dipper stick. Coming off is a lot easier than going on, but it needs to come off in a particular configuration or it won't mount without a lot of :hissyfit:.

/ Dolly for LS XG3025 LB1106 Backhoe #9  
Here is a pic of my 3102 backhoe for XU series machines.
IMG_1712.JPG

Getting it off takes about 3 minutes. Getting it back on takes me about 15 minutes or so. Its all about getting the tractor lined up. With 2 people, its actually pretty quick. One drives the tractor, the other guides and works the backhoe controls to get the subframe the right height and level.

Here is a pic of my 3102 backhoe for XU series machines.
View attachment 561092

Getting it off takes about 3 minutes. Getting it back on takes me about 15 minutes or so. Its all about getting the tractor lined up. With 2 people, its actually pretty quick. One drives the tractor, the other guides and works the backhoe controls to get the subframe the right height and level.

3Lfarms thanks for the photo and the info. Do you think a dolly on a concrete pad or floor would make a "one person" installation easier? Initially I was thinking about storing the backhoe on a dolly in one of the bays in my shop. The dolly would allow me to move the hoe close to the wall so I would still have useable space in the center. However looking at the size of the subframe & hoe combined I might not have enough space to do that inside of one of the bays. My other option would be to pour a concrete pad under one of my shelters and store the hoe there, so the question, would a dolly be beneficial in that scenario for a one person operation?