Don't read National Geographic!

/ Don't read National Geographic! #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
Sunday morning, I was at one of my favorite reading places browsing through an old edition of National Geographic. There was a short article about deer collisions and how common they are in various states. I'd had one myself and know many, many people who have "harvested" deer that way, so I was somewhat surprised to see that Missouri ranks well down the list, with PA and IL pretty far above us. So, on the way taking my wife to work at 6:30AM, I decided to add to my state's statistics. I got a nice doe for only $3900 damage to my 2003 Impala. Now I'm waiting to see what the claims adjuster has to say....the Blue Book says my Impala is fixable at that figure, and it's sure worth more than that to me, but in the past I've found that insurance adjusters have their own methods.

Someone else actually ended up with the deer...it was gone when I came back by, and I wouldn't have bothered with it anyway. However, I think I have enough fur in a couple of seams in the fender to make a nice mount.

Chuck

/ Don't read National Geographic! #2  
You would do anything for your state, would you?:D

I was closest getting a deer in this bow season while driving to the wildlife are, if I hit gas instead of brakes I would have nice doe now.

Anyway, damage to car is still better than getting hurt yourself.

/ Don't read National Geographic! #3  
Sunday morning, I was at one of my favorite reading places browsing through an old edition of National Geographic. There was a short article about deer collisions and how common they are in various states. I'd had one myself and know many, many people who have "harvested" deer that way, so I was somewhat surprised to see that Missouri ranks well down the list, with PA and IL pretty far above us. So, on the way taking my wife to work at 6:30AM, I decided to add to my state's statistics. I got a nice doe for only $3900 damage to my 2003 Impala. Now I'm waiting to see what the claims adjuster has to say....the Blue Book says my Impala is fixable at that figure, and it's sure worth more than that to me, but in the past I've found that insurance adjusters have their own methods.

Someone else actually ended up with the deer...it was gone when I came back by, and I wouldn't have bothered with it anyway. However, I think I have enough fur in a couple of seams in the fender to make a nice mount.

Chuck

Oh, they'll fix that car for you. We have a 2000 Impala LS that had over $4000.00 damage from a hail storm this past Father's Day and they fixed it up reeeeel nice. :)

/ Don't read National Geographic! #4  
Seems strange that you hit a deere with an Impala. JC

/ Don't read National Geographic! #5  
Occasionaly I drive I-66 into the Washington DC area and there are road kill deer everywhere... Seems the closer you get to the city, the worst the deer kill is and many are hit by semi trucks!

mark

/ Don't read National Geographic! #6  
When the subject of deer hits with cars comes up at work I often times have to remind the anti hunting folks that either the herd is thinned by the hunters who use the animal for food or they can be thinned by 4000 pound cars. Unfortunately, people die in some of these collisions.

I just don't think the anti hunting folks have really thought this one through.

/ Don't read National Geographic!
Oh, they'll fix that car for you. We have a 2000 Impala LS that had over $4000.00 damage from a hail storm this past Father's Day and they fixed it up reeeeel nice. :)

I hope they fix it. On our New England trip earlier this month, we were getting 32+ MPG on the road. I measured one leg at better than 35 MPG and didn't quite believe that one, but at every fill-up I was getting better than 30, and that included one day when we drove up near Mt. Washington. Seems to me the MPG increased after we got past the first 100K.

Chuck

/ Don't read National Geographic! #8  
Had a good friend exit the interstate (I-81) many, many years ago on a motorcycle and hit a deer... HE was KILLED... left a wife and 5 kids behind!

mark

/ Don't read National Geographic! #9  
When the subject of deer hits with cars comes up at work I often times have to remind the anti hunting folks that either the herd is thinned by the hunters who use the animal for food or they can be thinned by 4000 pound cars. Unfortunately, people die in some of these collisions.

I just don't think the anti hunting folks have really thought this one through.
Them and others like em never think things through that's why we have the conflicts.

/ Don't read National Geographic! #10  
Sorry to hear about your accident.

When dealing with the insurance company, I've found it helps allot to refuse their first few offers. They will go to allot of effort to convince you that it's as high as they will go, but the longer you hold out, the higher this number goes.

I've seen it happen several times, and heard of it from others. I can't guaranee that you'll get more by holding out, but be sure to know the actual value of your vehicle and be willing to take the time to drag it out. It's usually worth the effort.

Good Luck,
Eddie