Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Scared the **** out of myself yesterday because I thought I was going to roll, it happened so fast it was over before I fully comprehended what was going on. Last weekend I had hooked my RC up after it had sat all winter for the first mow of the year, something I have done dozens of times. After mowing 8-acres while putting the tractor up I did not like the way the RC was aligned on the tractor so I adjusted the lift arm stabilizer bars to center the RC with the tractor and than put it under the shed.

Yesterday we went out to enjoy the nice day and work a couple projects and my wife had gone down to our pond to feed the fish, I try and run the tractor at least once a week so I jumped on fired her up and headed down the slope toward the pond, the RC was fully raised and I was only going 4-5 MPH. I was heading straight downhill and all at once the tractor slid sideways, muscle memory made me turn downhill but I was sure it was going over. It slide sideways about 15' and to my relief straitened back out, I still had no idea what had happened. I got off and walked around the tractor and everything looked normal, from the skid marks it was obvious the left rear wheel had locked up but still I could not figure out why. The soil in that area is the worse kind of clay and we had had a couple good rains so it was wet and slick but nothing I was not used to. Still confused I wrote it off that I should have had it in 4WD and it never would of happened. The tractor had basically slid to the bottom of the hill, so I walked the rest of the way to join my wife feeding the fish, and calm down.

Leaving the pond I put it in 4WD and slowly started backup the slope, as soon as I turned slightly sideways I heard some major clanking and this time when I looked it became clear what had happened. When I had adjusted the lift arm stabilizer bars I had put the left locking pin it the hole at the front of the slotted section of the adjustment bar, with the RC lifted it could swing just far enough to the left to allow the front RC chain guard to contact the left rear tire. Because of the slick clay and no 4WD I had basically turned my tractor into a zero turn with nothing to keep it from pivoting around the locked up left wheel. I think it was more luck than driving skill because after the tractor turned sideways the RC swung to the downhill side which allowed the left tire to start rolling again and saved my bacon. Going forward you can be sure I will insure the RC cannot swing into either tire and start wearing my seat belt even on short trips.

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #2  
Wow, it can be very scary when things start going sideways suddenly. I've got a few indentations in both of my tractors seats where my butt pinched the seat pretty hard. Glad nothing really bad happened. When I first purchased the old 8N Ford, a fellow that had owned one had it keep going into his pond because the momentum from the bush hog would keep it going forward. He told me to get one of those over-run coupler and I did. No problem with the Kubota. I always do put it in 4 WD before cutting and going down some of the steeper slopes on the backside of my 70 acres. I used the old 8N for years cutting the trails and had some close calls trying to stop on the steep slope, of one trail, that ends with a 6' drop off down into a creek. learned in my younger days to go to 1st gear and not be in a hurry. Feel very lucky that nothing really bad ever happened. The dang thing is supposed to have 2 rear brakes but only had one in place. I keep that one adjusted close to stop with. I have assembled enough parts to fix the other side with the proper hookup and a brake drum. I hate idiots that remove stuff like that and then don't say anything. :mad:

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #3  
Thanks for your story Mate.

Every tale reminds us to not get complacent.

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #4  
I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt and you figured out what was going on. I had a RUDE awakening last year. I bought a new VERY HEAVY(Rhino 950 @ 1050 pounds) rear blade. I was down my driveway - stopped - going to make an offset and angle adjustment on this manual blade. Pulled the pin on the offset arm - this heavy duty rear blade took off on its own and swung thru its entire arc in my direction. Thank goodness I had the blade raised to full height - I flattened out on the ground and the blade swung right over me as it went thru its arc.

I found that the blade is so VERY HEAVY - that on anything much over level ground - I can not push the blade to an "up hill" position. As a matter of fact - the blade will quite quickly move on its own thru its DOWNHILL arc.

I had wild visions of being sliced - like a salami - by my very own rear blade. And - NO - I'm not going to add hydraulics to control the blade - I'm just going to be a lot more careful.

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #5  
Bad things can happen quickly. Daydreaming has got me in trouble on a few occasions.

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #6  
I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt and you figured out what was going on. I had a RUDE awakening last year. I bought a new VERY HEAVY(Rhino 950 @ 1050 pounds) rear blade. I was down my driveway - stopped - going to make an offset and angle adjustment on this manual blade. Pulled the pin on the offset arm - this heavy duty rear blade took off on its own and swung thru its entire arc in my direction. Thank goodness I had the blade raised to full height - I flattened out on the ground and the blade swung right over me as it went thru its arc.

I found that the blade is so VERY HEAVY - that on anything much over level ground - I can not push the blade to an "up hill" position. As a matter of fact - the blade will quite quickly move on its own thru its DOWNHILL arc.

I had wild visions of being sliced - like a salami - by my very own rear blade. And - NO - I'm not going to add hydraulics to control the blade - I'm just going to be a lot more careful.

I did this exact same thing! Once. Doesn't take a steep grade either, just the crown of our driveway. I was able to hold the blade for 1 or 2 seconds, that was it.

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #7  
Good reminder Beltz...........thanks for posting it.

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #8  
Scary......I'm not much of an operator, so I creep along, but as I get more experience I am sure to become more of a hazard to myself.

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #9  
Ive done it too. Even when I think I am being methodical. I get out of sequence and forget.

/ Double Check Your Attacment Hook Up #10  
Ive done it too. Even when I think I am being methodical. I get out of sequence and forget.

Me too. I've forgotten to close the latch and safety pin my trailer hitch once on my boat and now I stop constantly to recheck myself.

Just finished repairing the kickstand on my new to me rake that I managed to drag off due to adapting the rake to fit my QH and finally extending the hook so I didn't need the top link adaptor.
I will have to watch myself with that "back up and grab it" maneuver from now on.