Dove Hunting ... Opening Day

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
Any dove shooters out there?
Anybody else make opening day a yearly ritual like I do?
Where do you hunt and is it with the same group?

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #2  
Ours starts along with Goose season today the same 4 will participate as have for 12 years this will be my dog's 8th year and as always he is more exited than we are when he sees hip waders. I just finished loading hevi shot 10 gauge loads fof geese in a few hours and I had a good stock pile of 28 gauge for doves in the afternoon. I am going to bed now, have to be up in 4 hours to kick off a long awaited hunting season. Good luck and stay safe to all who go out. I'm hoping for some birds with jewelry on.

Brad

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #3  
Any dove shooters out there?
Anybody else make opening day a yearly ritual like I do?
Where do you hunt and is it with the same group?

Taking my son on his first hunt on opening day, hope it turns into a tradition:D

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #4  
Used to have a big breakfast meal and kickoff day at Tyndall AFB in Florida... Big deal on one of the largest AFB's in the country... Went thru boxes of shells using a O/U browning bird gun... never did hit a dove... things are like flying bats to try to hit!

mark

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #5  
Never really got into doves. Went a few times to different places in the Valley when I lived in CA, and shot quite a few birds too. Just didn't get the warm and fuzzies over them and never really tasted any that made me want to go out and get more of them.

When I bought my land, I didn't see any for the first year. Then as I cleared land and got areas of it under control and mowed, they started showing up. I can now see dozens of them in a group fairly regularly. I won't shoot any of them as they are more fun to see and hear then eat.

Good luck to those who are out hunting!!!

Eddie

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #6  
Was going to go, but yesterday we did 10 qts of tomatoes, pick 40 lbs of grapes and started 5 gal of wine. I must be old just couldn't get going this morning. We hunt your own ground. here is a few picks of last year. In one pic, over the sunflowers off of tractor, there are doves flying not sure if you can see them. I'll go the next day or so.

DSC01109.JPG

DSC01104.JPG

DSC01156.JPG

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #7  
I got out yesterday morning. We shot our limits then cooked a bunch up on the grill along with some venison sausage. Washed it down with an ice cold Shiner Bock. Life is good!

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #8  
never really tasted any that made me want to go out and get more of them

I with you, Eddie. Way back when I was a kid, I heard doves were hard to hit and good to eat. So I took my shotgun and went and shot some one day. Yep, they're pretty good, but there wasn't enough meat there to be worth a shotgun shell. So I never did it again.:rolleyes:

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #9  
Breast em' out, rinse, salt and pepper, wrap each boneless breast with one piece of bacon, insert toothpick to hold together and grill. You will not eat anything better in my opinion.

Brad

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #10  
We opened the season Monday hunting on our place North of Austin. Myself, adult son, 6 friends ... some his, some mine. Everybody got birds...about 8 to 12 birds each... some hunted only morning, some afternoon, some all day.

I got into some white wings, everybody else just morning doves. Today, we went out again... fewer birds, longer and faster shots required...son shot an Egyptian ring neck (I think that's what it's called, anyway it is not a native but is proliferating profusely and we shoot more each year).