down pressure?

/ down pressure? #1  

jiminpa

Bronze Member
Tractor
massy 35 diesel
does kubota tractors (grand L series)have any downpressure on the three point lift? looking at L3410 or L3710.

/ down pressure? #2  
Jim, I have yet to use a tractor with down pressure at the 3 pt. hitch. Gravity is all I have ever had. I have however, used the tilting hydraulics to add down pressure to my boxscraper. Problem is, its limited in travel and limited to tractors that actually have tilt cylinders added. Rat...

/ down pressure? #3  
I've heard that after-market down-pressure kits are available. A dealer should be able to locate one. However, I don't think many people would find one very useful very often. For many uses, simply putting some weight on top on an implement should do the trick.

/ down pressure? #4  
Tom and Rat are right. There's no downward force on your 3 pt hitch. If you need more downward force, you add more weight to the implement.

Bill Cook

/ down pressure? #5  
Hate to break the illusion of no down pressure but-- my IH 340 Utility will lift the rear wheels off the ground using the rear blade. I really wish that the "new" utility size tractors had this feature as it is great for doing grading and finish work. I also understand that some of the 100 hp+ units have this feature. For anybody that has tried to use a three point to dig post holes - down pressure is esential in hard material. You are simply not going to get the jopb done by stackin mom and the kids on top of the drill.

/ down pressure?
hey that's what i was doing with the old massey when that question hit me,post hole drilling.found a hard spot and can't go more than 20"down,even with me "rocking"the auger.took the teeth off and sharpend them,will see if it helped.still scrapping up money for a new tractor,looks like a L3410 will win.

/ down pressure? #7  
I WASN'T ABLE TO PUT DOWN PRESSURE ON THE 3PH WHEN I DUG A HOLE WITH THE POST HOLE DIGGER ON MY B2710, BUT WHEN I RAISED THE FRONT OF THE TRACTOR WITH THE BUCKET, I BURIED THE AUGER! ALMOST LEFT IT THERE WITH A BUSH TO HIDE IT. NOW THATS DOWN PRESSURE /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ down pressure? #8  
GVW, I had a IH 340 Utility (about 1958 model?)until about 6 years ago. It also had power steering, live pto and a torque amplifier, but it didn't have position or draft control. I never tried to dig post holes with it, but putting down pressure on a disc or blade only made the wheels spin. I kept that tractor 15 years and got good use from it, but I really enjoy my more modern Kubota!!

Gene in MS

/ down pressure? #9  
A post hole digger is the only application I can think of that down pressure would be useful (because the tractor's not moving). If you used downpressure for a dragged implement you also reduce your traction by the amount of down pressure you pick up. Thats why downpressure from the 3pt is not as effective as adding weight to the implement. As far as a post digger look at a previous post that explained how some people welded a large (2-3 inch OD) pipe to the post digger head, then inserted a long pipe into that and used the leverage to increase the down pressure. Seemed to be a pretty cheap and effective way to increase the down pressure.

/ down pressure? #10  
Actually, I have a post hole digger that has a hydraulic ram on the top and it is configured in such a way that it will pivot the top of the digger with trememdous pressure via a valve (the one I use for the hydraulic rippers on my box scrapper). This also eliminates the down pressure of a 3pt hitch. Rat...