Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I'm thinking of going to look at a Downeaster 10K deck over trailer, it's got a 8x20 deck, which includes a 4 foot beaver tail. Has 6K axles, but titled as a 10K, which is what I want. Looks clean in the pictures. It's a 2006 and supposedly low use, tires and brakes are allegedly good. He's asking $4,000 which I think is high. New it went for $5,500. Downeaster, according to a rep at the manufacturer is out of the equipment trailer game, sticking to dump trailers. What are your thoughts on a decent price for the trailer and quality of Downeaster? The size and specs are right what I'm looking for. Would be used for hauling the occasional tractor, implements, general use and hay transport.

image.jpg

Pic from seller.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #2  
Nice trailer. Nearly the same as mine. I gave $1500 for mine, boards were rougher and has MH type 14.5" wheels/axles. My opinion, $2000 - $2500 is fair for a 7 year old used trailer.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please.
If it looks real nice I was thinking of offering $3000. I've seen Downeaster dump trailers, I've borrowed a friends a couple times, seems well built.

Do you guys have any thoughts as to how Downeaster compares to other trailer manufacturers in quality?

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #5  
$3000 is top dollar on that. I can get new comparable for $3500 here.

Chris

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #6  
Downeaster is very good quality but their paint sucks just like most so at 7-8 years old in NE it could be covered in surface rust or worse underneath and have a paint job in it's future. I would look at this closely as well as check brake function for the same reason. Now I'll disagree with the others somewhat about the price. Being in MA you're prices are going to be higher and you likely will not find new for nearly as low as you would in some areas of the country. That being said 4K is a lot towards something new, so even if this one is close to perfect make sure you take a look around.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #7  
Used trailers in the N.E. are sold at a premium price. You can't buy a new 20' deck over for $3500. here. I think its because of the limited number of trailer builders in the N.E. Used trailers here sell for big $$$. I recently saw a 2009 20' 12K PJ deck over sell on CL for $3500. without a spare tire. I offered $3200 figuring I'd have to spend a couple hundred for a spare and my offer was turned down.
I've been thinking of upgrading to a 22'-24' 12K tilt bed trailer but the new prices are $6-7K here.
I have a 2006 H&H 7K 20' power tilt bed with removable fenders and a winch. It was $5500 new in 2006. Has 4 new wheels and radial tires and new brakes on all 4. Painted trailers need upkeep in the N.E. Mine has been repainted twice since I've owned it. New 22'-24' tilt beds cost $6-7K here.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #8  
I think I would be taking a vacation to the Midwest if I lived in the North East to get my trailers.

You could do so every 3 years and trade up while getting 100% plus of your initial purchase price back.

Chris

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #9  
I think I would be taking a vacation to the Midwest if I lived in the North East to get my trailers.

You could do so every 3 years and trade up while getting 100% plus of your initial purchase price back.

Chris

You could do even better maybe by hauling a piggy-back trailer home on top. :laughing:

The axle placement on the OP's pic looks pretty far to the rear, which seems to be common on deck-overs and 5th wheels. I always wonder about tongue weight on that set-up. ??

You could do even better maybe by hauling a piggy-back trailer home on top. :laughing:

The axle placement on the OP's pic looks pretty far to the rear, which seems to be common on deck-overs and 5th wheels. I always wonder about tongue weight on that set-up. ??

I was wondering the same on axle placement