DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ?

/ DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ? #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
I am thinking about buying a new M7060 that has A DPF. Can anyone confirm how long these filters last and what is the replacement cost ? I thought I read somewhere that at some point it is a $3000 situation! Also, my understanding is as this filter deteriorates the tractor performance will suffer. I realize this is all new technology and I am sure Kubota doesn't want this information to become common knowledge, but does anyone have any idea what this is going to cost me down the road? Thanks!

/ DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ? #2  
There's a video from Messicks' about it. I believe they say life is about 3000 hours though how you operate the tractor will make a big difference as will using incorrect oil. or engine malfunctions. You can look up the part on Messicks' web site. There are DPF cleaning services, mainly aimed at long haul trucks, costs start at $75.

It's not entirely new technology. On the road diesels have been using them for a while.

One dpf cleaning outfit:
DPF Cleaning Program - Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaning Services

/ DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ? #3  
approx 3000 hours. right now about $450-550 to clean it I think. Cost should drop all the time. I 'think' I heard the DPF can regen about 200 times before it needs cleaned, so it will depend on how hot your running an engine. Some guys are hitting 40-50 hrs between regens in some applications.

costs about 3k if you manage to screw everything up and the can needs replaced.

a VAST majority of the problems with this stuff are caused by the operator.

/ DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ? #4  
approx 3000 hours. right now about $450-550 to clean it I think. Cost should drop all the time. I 'think' I heard the DPF can regen about 200 times before it needs cleaned, so it will depend on how hot your running an engine. Some guys are hitting 40-50 hrs between regens in some applications.

costs about 3k if you manage to screw everything up and the can needs replaced.

a VAST majority of the problems with this stuff are caused by the operator.

Are they running at max RPM all the time to get 40 hours between regens ? I've been running my l4060 around 2200-2300 and getting around 12 hours between regens. Thanks

/ DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ? #5  
My 3901 regens at 22-24 hrs. I normally run at or just slightly below PTO rpm.

/ DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ? #6  
I have a kubota mx5200dt (gear shift not hst) and my first regen was at 22 hours. I now average 12 to 14 hours between regens. Have 800 hours with no issues yet. I do a lot of forward and reverse loader work, skidding firewood, stationary work at high idle (1500 + rpms), and bush hogging. When bush hogging and a regen starts, it goes into regen mode almost immediately (regen light stays solid). Any other task requires pto speed for awhile to get it going into regen mode. In other words regen light will flash for awhile, even after I raise rpms so raise rpm light goes off.

it does not seem to matter what task I predominantly do between regens, it almost always hits right around 13 hours like clock work. I wonder if a hst model that spends most of its time at full rpms even during direction changes or precision placing would have longer intervals between regens then my gear model that throttles up, then down for such maneuvers???

When I bought mine around 2.5 years ago I had my choice of hst or gear. I asked dealer which model has more dpf issues and he said the hst they are finding. Not because of the design, but because the operator s seem to putt around half throttle and let them idle a lot more then they were seeing with the gear models operators who ran the rpms higher usually and shut the engine off more then letting it sit and idle. Whatever? I bought the gear because that is what I wanted. Like I said, it has been flawless for about 800 hours regen about every 13 hours. I actually (so far) don't mind this style engine. Kinda like it, but that's a different topic.

/ DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ? #7  
I have a kubota mx5200dt (gear shift not hst) and my first regen was at 22 hours. I now average 12 to 14 hours between regens. Have 800 hours with no issues yet. I do a lot of forward and reverse loader work, skidding firewood, stationary work at high idle (1500 + rpms), and bush hogging. When bush hogging and a regen starts, it goes into regen mode almost immediately (regen light stays solid). Any other task requires pto speed for awhile to get it going into regen mode. In other words regen light will flash for awhile, even after I raise rpms so raise rpm light goes off.

it does not seem to matter what task I predominantly do between regens, it almost always hits right around 13 hours like clock work. I wonder if a hst model that spends most of its time at full rpms even during direction changes or precision placing would have longer intervals between regens then my gear model that throttles up, then down for such maneuvers???

When I bought mine around 2.5 years ago I had my choice of hst or gear. I asked dealer which model has more dpf issues and he said the hst they are finding. Not because of the design, but because the operator s seem to putt around half throttle and let them idle a lot more then they were seeing with the gear models operators who ran the rpms higher usually and shut the engine off more then letting it sit and idle. Whatever? I bought the gear because that is what I wanted. Like I said, it has been flawless for about 800 hours regen about every 13 hours. I actually (so far) don't mind this style engine. Kinda like it, but that's a different topic.

That sounds pretty close to what I'm seeing, I also have a gear transmission. Mine is still new, judging from your experience look like mine will stay about the same.

/ DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ? #8  
Are they running at max RPM all the time to get 40 hours between regens ? I've been running my l4060 around 2200-2300 and getting around 12 hours between regens. Thanks

Yes. Typically SSV \ SVL, machines running at max rpm.

/ DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Life & replacement cost ? #9  
Does the BX23s have a DPF? It's mentioned in the owner's manual, but I dont see a DEF tank.. Apologize for the dumb question, but tractor was delivered yesterday and I forgot to ask the dealer about this (well it didnt even occur to me that there was a DPF on a small tractor until I saw the section in the owners manual last night)