DPF on 40 HP and lower

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #1  

Dsewell1963

Tractor
2021 Massey Furguson 1840E
Does anyone know of problems with DPF on new tractors?
Im about to buy a new Massey Ferguson and concerned about issues with this.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #2  
Its rare to have issues with the newer DPF systems. That being said, it does happen. Also there's no way to determine what issues may come up after 1000, 2000, 3000 etc miles. Its an unknown.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #3  
I don't know if any brand or model is better than any other for DPF track record. Most users seem okay with them. My concern was great enough that I stayed below 25 horsepower. I did go with 4WD and it's been quite adequate for my needs. I run a five foot brush hog and move stuff with the loader. I don't NEED a bigger tractor, though I was tempted.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #4  
It can be a issue if the tractor is not worked. Keeping the exhaust hot and RPM's up help. Massey is a great tractor and I am sure you will like it.

I was more concerned with the ECMs on tractors so I went with a Branson because it is a simple mechanical injected system. Also if the DPF becomes a problem you can simply replace it with a muffler on the Branson.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #5  
Stricter Tier IV off-road diesel engine emission reduction standards phased in on dealer tractor inventory during 2009, impacting tractor prices. By 2012 almost all dealer inventory was Tier IV compliant.

Tier IV emission standards require tractor manufacturers to add or revise pollution reduction technology on new tractors generating over 19 kW power = 25.4794 horsepower.

Most manufactures can meet Tier IV requirements without a Diesel Particulate Fillter up to about 27 horsepower via engine design and injection timing.

DPF is used by the majority of tractor manufactures for more powerful tractors, but not all.

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) captures exhaust particulates (soot) in a ceramic matrix. When tractor engine runs sufficiently hot, accumulated particulates burn off periodically without operator intervention. If engine is not run continuously hot long enough to burn off particulates, diesel soot accumulates in the matrix. Once heavy soot accumulates in DPF the tractor forces soot clearance with the tractor parked and throttle open to about 2,200 rpm for about sixteen minutes, which makes the DPF REALLY HOT to burn off all accumulated soot. Burning off accumulated soot, either during operation or parked is called REGENERATION.

Regeneration is an infrequent DPF event with my Kubota three cylinder engine.
Generally once every sixty engine hours. (Very consistent in Florida due to warm weather.)

60 hours X 60 minutes = 3,600 minutes.

16 regeneration minutes /3,600 = .00444 = 4/10s of 1% of engine time is consumed during parked regeneration.

Fuel cost for sixteen minute parked regeneration @ 2,200 rpm ~~$1.00.

Forty percent of my regenerations occur during operation, sixty percent parked.

The average residential tractor operates eighty engine hours per year, according to industry surveys.

3,000 hours DPF Life / 80 hours = 37.5 years of residential use prior to DPF replacement.

Diesel Particulate Filter supersedes tractor muffler.
At some point in time DPF needs to be replaced.
At some point in time tractors with mufflers need the muffler replaced.

Last edited:
   / DPF on 40 HP and lower #6  
A few models like the Kubota B3300 (now discontinued) have had problems.

I recommend reading the brand-specific section of this site for that brand to see if there are a lot of people with problems.

A lot of DPF problems are caused by operator error- delaying regens and idling the tractor around. Read the manual and operate the tractor like the manufacturer says.

Generally the DPFs on CUTS are pretty reliable. If they do get clogged, they can be cleaned for a few hundred $$.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #7  
It can be a issue if the tractor is not worked. Keeping the exhaust hot and RPM's up help. Massey is a great tractor and I am sure you will like it.

I was more concerned with the ECMs on tractors so I went with a Branson because it is a simple mechanical injected system. Also if the DPF becomes a problem you can simply replace it with a muffler on the Branson.

Im hopefully bringing home a Massey 2850Mhst/cab this week but the Branson 20 series hst/cabs were on my shortlist for that reason and others. I will also be going straight to the Branson dealer if anything falls through on this Massey deal.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #8  
I anticipate the same problems to someday happen on my tractor that happen in my '09 truck, sensors will start dying and I'll have to chase them down and replace. Reported problems that I've seen are pretty far and few between, can't even think of one off hand. Just run it hot when you can and don't override regens when it wants to regen.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #9  
Yes but on your truck with the OBD connector and a code reader you can diagnose the problem,
tractors using CAN buss and propriety communication protocols are going to be more difficult.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #10  
I haven't read of a lot of problems with the DPF, although we haven't had any of the Tier IV emissions solutions on tractors long enough to know all about them.
Diesels engines have historically gone 5000 to 10,000 hrs. between rebuilds. Some go longer. Most Tier IV engines aren't there yet.

I will say that for us old timers who prefer working their diesels at lower RPMs, this new generation of Tier IV high RPM motors isn't very attractive.
There is also questionable logic involved in running continuously at high RPM in order to make less pollution.

But at this point you don't have many choices in new tractors. You get to be part of the experiment.
rScotty