Drilling multiple holes in a line.

/ Drilling multiple holes in a line. #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I’m building a landscape rake and need to drill 50 3/8” holes spaced two inches apart along a straight line. I plan to use either 1/2” or 3/8” angle or something similar. I have a floor drill press, but it’s not a great one, but adequate. I’ve even thought about buying a mag drill if I thought it would help. Saw a off brand online for $450 that got good reviews.

How would you guys do this? Using a starter punch seems inaccurate. I thought about building a jig with an indexing pin, or a template. Any ideas on how to set this up? And what bit would be best, or even an angular cutter on a mag drill.

I want them to be accurate so the tines will look even and straight.

I thought about clamping a fence on my welding table, having in feed and out feed roller supports, adding a 3/8” stud to my table in the two inch from bit position as an index, then just work my way down, moving the steel one increment at a time. Seems this would work with a mag drill. Would be harder on my drill press since the table is so small and sometimes rotates with a off set load.

The angle will be 84” long and depending on what I can find at the scrap yard, could weigh up to 100 pounds. I want it stout.

Thanks for any advice!

/ Drilling multiple holes in a line. #2  
Make a nice clean scribe line along the length whatever distance in from the heel you decide, using a try square as a gauge. Measure off the running distance, if 2" centers, mark it off running so the error doesn't add up. i.e., 2", 4" 6" etc, Scribe the lines, center punch with a sharp punch and predrill a small hole, 1/8" or so with a hand drill and go from there with a 3/8" drill in a hand drill. Unless you have another use for a mag drill, it seems like a big expense.......M

/ Drilling multiple holes in a line. #3  
If I was doing it myself...I would make up temporary supports etc. and extend the table on my existing drill press to accommodate a long fence...then just mark out the 2" spacing and drill away...

Another option is taking the angle to a welding/fabricating shop and have them punch the holes...

/ Drilling multiple holes in a line. #4  
Well - in my situation I would have little choice. Measure and mark out all the spots for drilling. Chuck up a small drill bit - 1/4" - in my drill press and go down the line drilling smaller starter holes. Chuck up the size you want for final hole size and go back down the line.

I would clamp down a backing plate on the drill press table - that way the angle iron can only move - left/right - not forward/back also.

/ Drilling multiple holes in a line. #5  
I wouldn't drill them. I would use a large angle or box member and weld to the face of it.

/ Drilling multiple holes in a line. #6  
A mag drill won’t work “per se”. Not enough mass for the magnet to work without a bigger base and jig.

Steve (BuckitCase) will hopefully chime in if you decide on this route. He has the mag drill/multiple hole via jig all figured out.

Since you already have a drill press consider what others have mentioned for layout and buy an annular sheet metal cutter for your press.

IMG_2406.JPG

The best way would be to punch the holes on an iron worker. Since I got mine earlier this year I only use my drill presses less than half the time.

IMG_2407.JPG

Last edited:
   / Drilling multiple holes in a line. #7  
I made a small rake for my Steiner but bolted each S tine to a bushing and mounted them on a shaft, so they can float or be arrested.

I would make a template with maybe ten accurate smaller holes, say 1/8, clamp it progressively along and just make a dimple, then use a pilot and the larger drill.

It is hard to get a center punch on target, but I find the iron worker to be a lost cause for accuracy, unless you prepunch the holes anyway..

We used to use a bluing ink for layout work, but I just color the metal with a sharpie, so the scribing shows up nicely and rub it off with some acetone.

I would love to find an automatic center punch that isn't so thick, you can't see the point.

/ Drilling multiple holes in a line. #8  
I would buy some peg board (1" hole spacing) to use as a template. Cut a piece and silicone it and clamp it to the steel and then drill a pilot hole in every other hole (1/8" or 3/16" depending on the peg board). Go back with the larger bit.

/ Drilling multiple holes in a line. #9  
We used to use a bluing ink for layout work, but I just color the metal with a sharpie, so the scribing shows up nicely and rub it off with some acetone.

I would love to find an automatic center punch that isn't so thick, you can't see the point.

I use blueing ink also.
IMG_2409.JPG

And you’re right about center punch accuracy. If I’m REALLY particular I’ll use my optic punch for layout. Sometimes I tap lightly with a prick punch followed by a regular center punch. MOST times I’m just too lazy and use the auto center punch

Below left to right in order of preference (quick and dirty to OCD)

IMG_2408.JPG

/ Drilling multiple holes in a line. #10  
When I did the holes for the grader blades on my land plane, I made a quick jig to cut the holes with the plasma cutter. Needed 5/8 holes in 3x3x3/8 angle. Stuff is pretty heavy to set up in the drill press or mill. Saved hrs of drilling.