Driverless Cars

/ Driverless Cars #571  
Ask Boeing about coders not knowing about planes and making rookie mistakes causing airliners to nose dive.

Code control and experienced supervision is required, as is a lot of infrastructure to allow cars to see through obstructions like snow (lane control) etc.

/ Driverless Cars #573  
Just my opinion but I believe driverless cars will be safer and more efficient.

I spent my career on the road. Ask any pro truck driver what they think about human drivers. Many incompetent coupled with a bad attitude.

And it's far worse here than any other place i've driven.

Something about that....."i'm american and i pay taxes so i can squat in the left lane" ......

that does not happen in any of the other places ive driven.

I think robot policemen are a better solution also.

I'll take on your second opinion first - errr, Robocop ? (-:

ONE of the BIG problems I have with many car drivers is their unwillingness and/or inability to stop before the stop line.
They want to stop ON the cross walk - well, maybe there aren't any pedestrians on it right now, but the tractor trailer rig trying to make the hard right turn needs some space to turn in.

I look forward to the day when autonomous vehicles are "allowed" to do whatever speed is appropriate under prevailing conditions (weather, traction/braking, traffic spacing, etc.) not some artificial limit that the town elders thought "safe" and a high percentage of drivers disregard - although there is revenue to be had from violators.

/ Driverless Cars #574  
... - although there is revenue to be had from violators.

That there is ....which begs the question if/when automation breaks the rules who gets the ticket? ...because I seriously doubt various levels of government are going to give up on that revenue stream anytime soon. Much like: will "fuel taxes" eventually be levied on electricity when/if everyone actually switches to electric cars?

/ Driverless Cars #576  
Automatic braking for anything in my lane and not being able to accidentally wander out of my lane would be a plus especially if every vehicle had the same safety features. Humans have been the weak in automotive safety for a long time. AI is no better than the technology and with AI replacing human programmers safety issues should become less and less.

Last edited:
   / Driverless Cars #578  
that was my point, it worse here than.....should i name
all the places i've driven?
Try Egypt or Mumbai. No one pays any attention to traffic lights or the local police. Roads change direction based on when too many cars want to go in one direction and then if you want to go in the other direction in the correct lane, you're out of luck. Rules change constantly, and watch for Camels, elephants and Ox, they don;t give right of way.
And make sure to go around all the burnt out wrecks by the side of the roads and highways and pedestrians running out in front of you at random places.
This is why they are testing driverless cars mostly in Europe and North America,

/ Driverless Cars #579  
Try Egypt or Mumbai. No one pays any attention to traffic lights or the local police. Roads change direction based on when too many cars want to go in one direction and then if you want to go in the other direction in the correct lane, you're out of luck. Rules change constantly, and watch for Camels, elephants and Ox, they don;t give right of way.
And make sure to go around all the burnt out wrecks by the side of the roads and highways and pedestrians running out in front of you at random places.
This is why they are testing driverless cars mostly in Europe and North America,

Worst places I’ve driven are Mexico City and Israel (anywhere). If you are not crazy aggressive driving you are stuck in the same place all day!

MoKelly

/ Driverless Cars #580  
Sounds like a good place to test automatic driving. Passes there, should pass anywhere.