dry out water block gravity flow diesel fuel filter

/ dry out water block gravity flow diesel fuel filter #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
I have diesel tanks for both on and off road diesel with a Goldenrod water block fuel filter with clear bowl installed on each one. These are large metal tanks and condensation creates water in them which successfully gets caught by the filter. However, I have had problems with the filter stopping up from the water (not sediment) and blocking fuel flow.

The replacement filters are about $14 each.

Can they be dried out and reinstalled successfully or is a new filter required each time it stops up??

/ dry out water block gravity flow diesel fuel filter #2  
Many of the bulk fuel filters that have moisture absorbent added to the filter medium use a derivative corn product that is the same as what is used in disposable diapers. That absorbent does link up with the water and can swell as well. While very effective at water removal product life can be quite short. Our own company sells those as does CIMTek. Drying them out does not work.

/ dry out water block gravity flow diesel fuel filter
Thanks..... this seems to match my experience...I thought that I'd dry one out and give it a try, but it didn't work well....thought I'd ask and get a second opinion.

Sigh, quite expensive to replace:(

/ dry out water block gravity flow diesel fuel filter #4  
John,

Hi buddy!

I use the same system and was having the same problems. I decided to go with the non-absorbent filters for the Goldenrod system and just drain any water out the petcock at the bottom of the amber bowl.

By the way, if you want better pricing on the filters, set up an account at Filter1. All their filters are Wix and directly cross-reference to Napa Gold.

Filter1 Wix heavy duty engine, oil, automotive, truck, and tractor filers.

Below is the Wix Water Absorbent Version filter for the Goldenrod
Price $8.84
Part Number: 24042
UPC Number: 765809240421
Principal Application: Goldenrod Fuel System - Water Absorbent Version

The non-absorbent price is $4.62
Part Number: 24043
UPC Number: 765809240438
Principal Application: Goldenrod Fuel Systems - Standard Version

The Housing itself (entire system including bowl) is $46.62

Part Number: 24380
UPC Number: 765809243804
Principal Application: Goldenrod FW Separator Housing -

RFB....thanks for such a complete post... great info...good to know where to go for less expensive water block filters...will try them!:thumbsup:

/ dry out water block gravity flow diesel fuel filter #6  
I get all of my filters from them...air, oil, fuel for truck and tractors, atvs, cars etc.

Any 6 filters mix or match is free shipping.

The only filters they do not have are the HST and Cabin air filters. Here are some part numbers for the 5030 filters:

33507 Fuel
46489 Air outer
46490 Air inner
51311 Oil

Now that's a full service post:laughing:

Again, thanks for such complete detail. Now, I know where to go for all my filter needs.... and, with seven motorized vehicles....I have lots of needs:D

/ dry out water block gravity flow diesel fuel filter #8  
I've never ever had a water problem in 32 years of driving diesel cars and 6 years with my tractor. Guess if you live in the humid south that it could maybe be a problem with tractor fuel. I don't know. We lived 6 years in Baton Rouge with our 240D.

If the water stopper stuff doesn't swell, I'd think an alcohol wash should absorb the water. Not sure what it would do to the stuff that swells though.

Ralph