Duck and Dog Fencing

/ Duck and Dog Fencing #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I started putting fence posts in 2 years ago along my driveway. I cut the posts myself on Lee's goat farm (Weldingisfun). Lee loaded them with his Mahindra's loader after I limbed the trees. Since I did so much work, I was treated to a vension supper. Yum. 4-23-10 Six to Twelve Inch Cedar Logs.jpg4-23-10 Stacking Cedar Logs.jpg4-23-10 Unloading Cedar Logs.jpg

After I got the logs home, I cut them to length and pressure washed them. I decided right then I would never strip cedar posts with a pressure washer again. Ever! Luke and I planted them on beside my half of the paved street that is on my property. I use it as a driveway.12-8-12 Posts Lining Up.jpg12-8-12 Luke Cleaning Out Post Holes.jpg

Last Spring I fenced in my island duck pond with non climb horse fence and a corral board on top.
1-31-15 Island Pond Gate & Fence.jpg1-16-15 Duck Island Pond Fence.jpg

I love the look. So now I am fencing in about half my property so my Heeler pup can run free. First I finished the wood privacy fence on my close neighbor's side. I started this fence in 2002. I just finished it in Dec. 12-26-14 Wood Fence Finished.jpg12-24-15 Brandi on Trailer with Fence Boards.jpg

hugs, Brandi

/ Duck and Dog Fencing
Next I installed posts for my front yard along the Cul-de-sac. I then stretched the fence tight enough to strum the wire. I like a tight fence! I stretch it with pine 2x4s bolted to the wire with a come-a-long anchored to the loader bucket of my Mahindra. I put the backhoe stabilizers down and nothing moves. I came up short with the wire where the driveway turns from pavement to dirt and gravel, so we had to add another bracing post pair 12 feet from the end. Talk about frustating. I have made numerous rookie mistakes so far. Like putting a brace post too far from the end post, over 7 feet. I cross the brace posts with barbed wire. My dangerous mistake was using used, rusty barbed wire and tried to twist it tight. Don't do it. I won't again. It broke and almost wacked me in the face. Another mistake is not putting the pressure washed, stripped posts in without concrete. I pulled about a dozen of them up and reinstalled them with Quickcrete.
1-16-15 Cul-de-sac Posts.jpg1-27-15 Cul-de-Sac Fence.jpg1-27-15 Front Fence Corner Bracing.jpg1-31-15 Driveway Fence Going Up.jpg1-31-15 Fencing cul-de-sac & Driveway.jpg1-31-15 Driveway Fence Stretched.jpg
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Duck and Dog Fencing
Here We're installing the posts between the duck pond fence and my barn. I'm leaving a 16 foot gap for a gate. Deep post holes are easy with a hydraulic auger on my backhoe. I planted a 16 foot treated pole for the gate post. It's 4 feet deep. I will swing a drag wire from the top of the pole to the far end of the gate. I use the wire bottom gates and bolt a corral board across the top. But I will be making a walk through gate near the mail box out of corral boards and non climb fence. Never know when I will get the horses this higher cost fence entails.;)

My friend Brady has been helping me all week, since I took off over a week and swapped out his truck engine. After 5 days of quiet, he suggested I pull my truck up and crank of the CD player. We listened to Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac the rest of the day.
1-31-15 Fence Brady Action Shot.jpg1-31-15 Truck CD Belting Out Stevie Nicks.jpg1-31-15 Cedar Fence Posts.jpg1-31-15 Brady Hiding Behind Post.jpg
hugs, Brandi

/ Duck and Dog Fencing #4  
You've been busy!!!! Are you going to get any goats or is this just to keep the ducks safe?

Eddie

Last edited:
   / Duck and Dog Fencing #5  
NICE stuff!! I love those cedar fence posts. I wish I could get them around here.

/ Duck and Dog Fencing
You've been busy!!!! Are you going to get any goats or is this just to keep the ducks safe?

Eddie
Eddie,
The ducks are fully enclosed as of last June. This will be for my Heeler to roam free and not leave the property. Later on........I'll probably get a horse or two. I most likely will open the gate from time to time and turn out the ducks for more free ranging. They have about 1/4 acre now to roam around the pond.

I do have a goat or sheep when ever I want one. I gave a Southwest pass to a friend of my daughter's that raises goats or sheep. I wouldn't want one goat. Two or more is best. But a goat will keep a solo horse company.
hugs, Brandi

/ Duck and Dog Fencing
NICE stuff!! I love those cedar fence posts. I wish I could get them around here.
Thanks Mark. Yeah.......too bad cedar is not plentiful up there like it is around here. I take the cut off chunks of cedar and put them around the barn in cubby holes. I sweep up the saw dust and put it in cloth bags I hang in closets or stuff in drawers in the house. I use everything but the bark. The bark is a mess to deal with after pressure washing!
hugs, Brandi

/ Duck and Dog Fencing #8  
Brandi, looking good sis, nothing better than when a fence is done:thumbsup: Are you going to cut a drip angle on those post, or coat them?

BTW, still have all the ducks?

/ Duck and Dog Fencing
Brandi, looking good sis, nothing better than when a fence is done:thumbsup: Are you going to cut a drip angle on those post, or coat them?

BTW, still have all the ducks?
Dennis,
Sis?:laughing: I will be cutting the tops at a 45 (or so) degree angle. Yes, I still have the ducks.:cool: 2-1-12 Ducks Almost a Year Old.jpgA coon got one drake:mad:, but he (or she) never has been back. Weird critters really came out after Booger was put down.:(
I love watching them swim and dabble. They are really goofy.
hugs, Brandi

/ Duck and Dog Fencing #10  
You always do such a nice job on your projects. This fence looks great. I am jealous of the auger and the backhoe. I have about 1,000 feet of fence to do on the uncleared portion of the property and a 3 point auger just doesn't cut it out here.