Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #21  
I have the 60" deck which may be part of the problem. I have removed the baffle inside the boot. I was experimenting to see if I could get it to engage the deck more fully. My deck does not have a deflector on the deck shoot. There appears to be a mounting hole for one. I guess this is what I get for trying to save a few dollars and buying a used one. It was in excellent shape and claimed to be only used once. I suspect the one time the previous owner may have hit something and decided it wasn't worth it. I can't see how the front bracket would be bent otherwise. It worked great with my kludged assembly. If I can get it figured out it should be nice with the leaves once they fall.

I dug out my boot kit assembly instructions which cover both size decks, and appears they got you the wrong boot kit. It looks to me that the parts you showed are the boot kit for the 54" deck (K6056-03000). A few of the parts in the 54" kit are the same as for the 60" kit, but there are many key parts where they look very similar and everything mounts the same way and all that, but the part numbers are different and slightly different sized, etc. I now understand why it won't all come together. BTW, it also appears there was one part missing from the kit you got, the "Plate, mower 54" (K6056-3168-0) which is that shoot deflector thing I was calling the inner deck baffle thing. (one of the many parts that is slightly different between the 54" and 60" deck.)

If you got a pretty good price for the used catcher, I'm sure you'll still be money ahead even if you have to order the correct boot kit for the 60" deck.

For the 60" deck the boot kit is K6056-01000.

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #22  
I got a voice mail from the dealer today. I can't make it there during the day. They confirmed I have a boot kit for a 54" deck. They have a kit for a 60" now I just have to find time to get there to confirm it will work. I hope they will just exchange the two. Thank to all for your help!

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #23  
Last weekend as I was going out of town I stopped by the dealer and picked up what I thought was the correct boot kit. I attempted to install this weekend with no success. the only thing that seems to match is the mower plate. The second front bracket I received does not match the holes in the deck. The second rear bracket is the same as the first and mounts into its holes but boot will not reach the bracket when installed. I am really at a loss. I have a RCK60B-23BX deck and think I have all the correct parts but still it does not fit! IMG_0578.jpgIMG_0579.jpgIMG_0580.jpgIMG_0581.jpgIMG_0582.jpgIMG_0583.jpg

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #24  
This has to be pretty frustrating for you. I hate to say it, but I think you still haven't gotten the right parts, or at least not all the right parts according to what I see in my instruction manual. Note - I got mine a couple years back, so it's possible some of these parts have changed, but I don't think that's real likely... I believe if you had all the correct parts it should just go together like mind did.

In my instruction manual it shows that the "Deck stay" (back bracket that mounts on the deck) is the same part number for both the 54 and 60 deck so that's not an issue. However, the "Boot stay" is a different part number. (This is the bracket bolted on the rear of the Boot that mates up with the rear Deck Stay.) The Boot stay for the 54 inch deck is a single metal bracket that is bolted onto the boot. It looks just like the one you show in your pictures. The correct one for the 60 inch deck is actually two metal pieces bolted together that then make up the complete Boot stay. The assembly of those two pieces (that make up the Boot stay) is bolted to the boot.
DSCN2570.jpg
Left is 54 inch Boot stay, right is 60 inch boot stay.

The "Fulcrum stay" (the front bracket that mounts on the deck in front of the chute opening) is also a different part number for the two sized decks. To me, looking at the drawings in my instructions, it looks from its shape like the one you have may also be for the 54 inch deck. I think that's why it won't fit your deck holes.
DSCN2571.jpg

However, you said that the inner Mower Plate mounts correctly, so seems you may have gotten the correct one for the 60 inch deck??? (Unless that it is also the 54 inch deck version but just happens to line up with your bolt holes...) The Boot itself looks basically the same between the two sizes (although two different part numbers) so I can't guess if you have the right one of those.

DSCN2572.jpg

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #25  
Frustrating is an understatement. I bought a Kubota because I had a local dealer and I thought I would have a reliable tractor. I am beginning to think maybe I made a mistake when the dealer is not able to get me the right stuff. I've attempted to get help from Kubota but can't reach anyone. You've been most helpful. What I see in the instruction pages you posted I agree I have some wrong parts and I think if the components looked like shown it would fit. Thanks.

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #26  
Frustrating is an understatement. I bought a Kubota because I had a local dealer and I thought I would have a reliable tractor. I am beginning to think maybe I made a mistake when the dealer is not able to get me the right stuff. I've attempted to get help from Kubota but can't reach anyone. You've been most helpful. What I see in the instruction pages you posted I agree I have some wrong parts and I think if the components looked like shown it would fit. Thanks.

I did a little more looking at this. I'm not sure how far you want to chase this, but here is some more info.

Looking at the part list again, I see there are only three parts different between the 54 kit (which I think you have) and the 60 kit. Of course they are the most critical parts. They are:
Case, Assy Boot
Stay, Fulcrum
Plate, Mower

I noticed there is no separate part number for just the "Boot stay" that is referenced in the installation instructions. I think the "Case, Assy Boot 60" must come with the Boot Stay installed. I recall the Boot came as one item in my kit. That is, the "Case, Assy Boot 54" came with the Boot Stay already mounted on it. I am guessing that you have the 54" boot assembly (with the 54 Boot stay installed). This leads me to think, as mentioned prior, that you also have the 54 front Fulcrum Stay - particularly since it won't install in the deck holes.

You may still want to work with your dealer to see if he will do some exchanging for the correct kit and save you money - these parts aren't cheap. If you're at the point where you want to pursue getting the right parts on your own here's some additional info. There is a Kubota dealer (Messicks) that is active on this site and they are very helpful. Both with questions here in the forums, or if you call to order parts, etc. I looked on their web site just to see what I could find...

I went to their parts pages and typed in the Boot assembly part number for the 60 deck, K6056-30010. It found the part, but says it's been replaced by part number K6056-30012. Clicked on that to get to the new part. Ouch! Not cheap!
Kubota CASE, ASSY BOOT Part #K6056-30012

I then looked for the Fulcrum stay, part number K6056-31510. It found the part, but says its been replaced with a part number, replaced again, replaced again... clicked on replacement part numbers until I got to this Fulcrum stay:
Kubota STAY, FULCRUM Part #K6057-31520

I didn't look up the mower plate, as it seems they somehow maybe got that correct part to you.

If you are thinking of ordering these parts on your own I'd suggest calling Messiks toll free number and work with them directly to double check on what I found and that the 60" Boot assembly does indeed come with the Boot stay, etc...

I sure hope you're able to get the right parts and everything working. I've really been happy with having one. Best of luck!

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #27  
Ralphie I do not own one of those contraptions so my input
is very limited but here is what I found. Your awnsers may
be contained in one or all of these threads.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/204851-bx-grass-catcher-boot-question.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/210196-do-you-have-grass-bagger.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/155411-gck60-23bx.html

Additionally I sometimes find awnsers by simply looking at
correct part explosions BUT, when I enter "gck60-23bx" into
the Kubota parts system (link following) there is NO MENTION
of the Collector Boot you are wrestling with. Not even a
picture of it! So there is more to see.

CLICK HERE to go to the Kubota parts online manual and under
MODELS if you type "gck60-23bx" (no quotes) and look at everything
you will see what I mean, SO, next if it were me I might get the
exact model number of the cutter and enter it and then look
for accessories for it and compare.

If you find you need any Kubota parts I highly recommend Lashley Tractor. They have conistantly
been cheaper on price on everything I have checked. Additionally
so long as an item is not "wholegoods", if it is over $50.00 the
shipping is FREE. I usually hunt down a guy there named Tracy.
Please tell him Hello for me and Good Luck!

Be sure if you figure it out to post out specifics herein for the next guy!

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #28  
Additionally I sometimes find awnsers by simply looking at
correct part explosions BUT, when I enter "gck60-23bx" into
the Kubota parts system (link following) there is NO MENTION
of the Collector Boot you are wrestling with. Not even a
picture of it! So there is more to see.

CLICK HERE to go to the Kubota parts online manual and under
MODELS if you type "gck60-23bx" (no quotes) and look at everything
you will see what I mean, SO, next if it were me I might get the
exact model number of the cutter and enter it and then look
for accessories for it and compare.

Artisan, great link to the online part explosion / part list! I was not aware of those pages, and they sure will be useful! Thanks!

Yes, when you enter the Grass Catcher model number you only see all the parts that make up the catcher itself. You'll want to look up the Boot Kit (K6056-01000) that is appropriate for your size mower deck. On that link from Artisan, go over from the Model tab to the Parts tab and enter K6056-01000 for the Boot Kit. It comes up with a bunch, so scroll down to BOOT KIT RCK60B23BX that is for your RCK60B23BX mower deck. There are two entries, it looks like one using the older original kit numbers with the newer supersceded numbers. Either one of those (once opened) will give you the part numbers you are interested in.

Having looked at this, I'm more confident now in the part numbers I gave that I think you need (for the Boot assembly and Front fulcrum stay.) But, I would still recommend having your dealer, or any other dealer you decide to work with, verify my work. Pleae don't spend a bunch of money on my word alone!

Last edited:
   / Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #29  
Glad you (and hopefully others) discovered the link I sent
to the Kubota Online Parts. It wasn't long ago kubota decided
to make said available to the populous, a wise decision it was.

Now we can figure out a lot on our own!

But, the other link to, Tracy, at Lashley Tractor is a way
better link IMO because it saves so much money! It's a HUGE
money saving link. I have yet for anyone to tell me that they found
a part for a Kubota, at a Kubota dealer, for less. As tracy says;
"We just do it different."

Be SURE to tell Tracy Hello for me if you call! He has helped me much.
I think they were the first Kubota dealer ever in that part of the
country...

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #30  
Thanks to everyone for your support. The dealer ordered a new boot kit. I got there this morning to pick it up. I just installed it. There are some alignment issues but overall the boot is different from the original two I was trying. Also the front bracket had a completely different design. The internal deck grass deflector is the same and I still have the issue with a missing mounting hole. I did not install the deflector into the deck this morning as my need to use the grass catcher won't be until next Spring now. The short of it is I had the wrong components and that is why it would not work. Thanks again!