Eagle vs Fox Who takes home the Rabbit?

/ Eagle vs Fox Who takes home the Rabbit? #2  
Saw the video this morning. That was one lucky fox - he could have been the target instead of the rabbit. He was young, and hopefully learned a valuable lesson! The photographer said the fox landed safely and was playing with his siblings.

/ Eagle vs Fox Who takes home the Rabbit?
Some pictures
2D2DA326-268A-4A83-AD28-D91C0AECBD3C.jpeg734C49EE-3A03-4F83-AFA5-DDD25179E8E1.jpeg34659403-C75F-48A1-8338-A76DAD028C0B.jpeg62C72976-0305-45A0-9663-F3D9E2E9E086.jpegD541296B-46CD-4409-AB49-645A86C36047.jpeg

Saw the video this morning. That was one lucky fox - he could have been the target instead of the rabbit. He was young, and hopefully learned a valuable lesson! The photographer said the fox landed safely and was playing with his siblings.

The eagle was struggling for altitude before the fox dropped off, the rabbit plus fox was a lot for it. Once the eagle loses air speed his lift is decreased, simple aerodynamics. They generally are thought to be able to effectively carry 5 or so pounds. While the Fox was small and young, the rabbit and he were likely more than that. I watch them nearly every day where I live and 5 pounds is about right. They usually blind a fox or coyote with talons to the face so that it dies or can be killed on the ground if that is what they are going to eat.

/ Eagle vs Fox Who takes home the Rabbit? #5  
I have noticed bald eagles are real bullies -- they will wait for an osprey to catch a fish, and then steal it away. Ospreys tend to be hard working birds, and it's sad to see them get pushed around.

One time I was out working on my property with my tractor and eagles were harassing an osprey who gave up and dropped his fish right near me. Eagles wouldn't come get the fish with me there though. I hung out there for 10-15 minutes until the eagles went away. Not on my watch you bald bullies!

I've even see the eagles stealing from each other. Watched two bozo eagles crash through a stand of pine trees while fighting over a fish.

For what is supposed to be a majestic national bird, they are really not a class act.

/ Eagle vs Fox Who takes home the Rabbit? #6  
We have lots of bald eagles around this time of year. At low tide we have about 20 or so that stand around in the flats and fish in the small streams and tide pools. Lots of photographers come and set up with their big Canon lenses and tripods to catch beautiful wildlife/scenery photos. I have tried, but my lens isn't quite up to par. Here is an old pic...

IMG_9329.JPG

/ Eagle vs Fox Who takes home the Rabbit? #7  
I have noticed bald eagles are real bullies -- they will wait for an osprey to catch a fish, and then steal it away. Ospreys tend to be hard working birds, and it's sad to see them get pushed around.

One time I was out working on my property with my tractor and eagles were harassing an osprey who gave up and dropped his fish right near me. Eagles wouldn't come get the fish with me there though. I hung out there for 10-15 minutes until the eagles went away. Not on my watch you bald bullies!

I've even see the eagles stealing from each other. Watched two bozo eagles crash through a stand of pine trees while fighting over a fish.

For what is supposed to be a majestic national bird, they are really not a class act.
I watched a bald eagle grab a salmon and he couldn't get airborne so he flew to shore and dropped/rammed it against the rocky cliff. Had to grab it again and repeated the action. Quite smart that one I thought. He got a great meal.

Last edited:
The bald eagles do go into the water as well. I have seen them hover just above the water and drop into it to pick up something just under the surface (usually dead) and fly off. They do not always swoop in and snatch something from the water, although that is the norm if whatever it is is floating or swimming at the surface. One time an eagle got too soaked and could take off out of the water so it swam by its wings to my beach, stood there for a while then flew off.

/ Eagle vs Fox Who takes home the Rabbit? #9  
We have lots of bald eagles around this time of year. At low tide we have about 20 or so that stand around in the flats and fish in the small streams and tide pools. Lots of photographers come and set up with their big Canon lenses and tripods to catch beautiful wildlife/scenery photos. I have tried, but my lens isn't quite up to par. Here is an old pic...

View attachment 555526

Good catch.

/ Eagle vs Fox Who takes home the Rabbit? #10  
When I saw my first Bald Eagle in Alaska, I was in awe. After a while getting use to them, they're lucky the feds protect them.