Earth's Hottest Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Earth's Hottest Month #181  
but for people like me that care about reducing carbon emissions, the international shipping trade is an abomination that needs reduction asap.
The white sailboat outside of Michelin Group’s Swiss office doesn’t have a sail at all. Instead, it has a wing. The puffy, inflatable structure towers over the vessel, resembling an enormous meringue with a spine of stiff peaks. At sea, it cuts through the wind like an airplane wing, sending the sailboat flying across the water. Now Michelin wants to fit the technology onto cargo ships. The goal is to harness wind energy to reduce the use of diesel fuel—and thus curb greenhouse gas emissions.
The French tire maker unveiled its Wing Sail Mobility, or WISAMO, project earlier this month. The set-up operates with the push of a button. First, the telescopic mast rises from its base, reaching up to 17 meters high. The wing, which starts as a pile of fabric, slowly unfurls as a small air compressor inflates the double-sided material. As wind flows over the 93-square-meter wing, the variations in air pressure create lift, helping propel the vessel forward. When the ship approaches a bridge or encounters rough weather, the system automatically retracts.

Attachments

• A275EA6E-CC1A-4BC6-8E61-6E0CF88AA308.jpeg
    A275EA6E-CC1A-4BC6-8E61-6E0CF88AA308.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 49
   / Earth's Hottest Month #182  
So you aren't taking the first 3 to 4 billion years into account.
What?

Earth formed about 4.54 (ish) years ago.

Oceans formed about 250 million to 500 million yrs (ish) after that.

Life began anywhere from 100 million yrs, to 750 million yrs (ish) after that.

Life has been on Earth for *at least* 3.4 billion yrs, according to the earliest fossils.

Earth has had life on it for a major majority of it's existence.

-----

You asked:

I've seen this sentence more than a few times, and i wonder if they are referring to the history of the planet as a whole, or just for the short period of time since life was on it?

I said:

Well, since life started about 500 million to 1 billion years after Earth formed, I'd say.. both.

Since I said 'both' in answer to your question (since life has been here a majority of the planet's history as a whole), how did you get that I wasn't considering the first 3 to 4 billion years?

/ Earth's Hottest Month #183  
Totally useless waste of a thread. Floods and extreme weather events are happening and will get worse. The polar ice caps are melting at an alarming rate. You don't need science to see this is happening.

There are two issues which are totally thrown under the rug in this useless tug of war about what caused this and what to name it.

1. What are we going to do when things get really bad re floods and weather events? I suppose we adapt.

2. Should we really not try and curb pollution because of what it does to air we breath, the water we drink, and the food we eat? I think we should, for our children's sake at least.

But we continue to "allow" China and other big polluters to go on.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #187  
......My very strong opinion on this entire climate change is it’s not science, it’s opinions. .....
melting polar ice caps and loss of permafrost regions is not science?

/ Earth's Hottest Month #188  
melting polar ice caps and loss of permafrost regions is not science?
No it’s fact. What is causing it is opinion. Global warming? Manmade climate change? A anomaly? Natural climate change? None of the above?

/ Earth's Hottest Month #189  
Mossie I share your observations. Also have you noticed the thousands of dead young Hoosier trees? These trees should be in their prime and certainly not dying. Perhaps they are sending us a message --> Humans, the heat is killing us, either fix Climate Change or you will soon become us! ☠️
No. I haven't noticed any dead trees other than ash trees. Where are you seeing them and what species are they?

/ Earth's Hottest Month #190  
Totally useless waste of a thread. Floods and extreme weather events are happening and will get worse. The polar ice caps are melting at an alarming rate. You don't need science to see this is happening.

There are two issues which are totally thrown under the rug in this useless tug of war about what caused this and what to name it.

1. What are we going to do when things get really bad re floods and weather events? I suppose we adapt.

2. Should we really not try and curb pollution because of what it does to air we breath, the water we drink, and the food we eat? I think we should, for our children's sake at least.

But we continue to "allow" China and other big polluters to go on.
The thread is not "totally useless".
You DO need science to see this is happening. Without science we would have never developed airplanes and satellites to view this "big picture". It is collection of the data that shows the glaciers are retreating.
As far as your numbered points:
Yup, don't live where it's dangerous - fires and floods included.
Yup, but if the pollution created in China by underpaid workers (near slaves) stays in China it doesn't affect me much.
I'll save my rage for more local issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.