Earth's Hottest Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Earth's Hottest Month #271  
^ I think you're right, rekees. It's interesting to see the number of people with a somewhat fatalistic attitude like this growing. I'm sort of drifting into that camp too, honestly. Probably too late to stop the damage we've done, now nature will take over and respond as needed.

Here's another good comic I can't resist sharing:
betterworldfornothing.jpg

/ Earth's Hottest Month
Just today a very positive public announcement from Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, regarding a major breakthrough in Laser Fusion. Incredibly they released for a short period of 100 Trillionth of a second(a single pulse), approximately 10% of the suns energy output for that time frame and received back 70% of the energy put into the experiment. Previous efforts had only reached just 3% energy back.

Sir you have posted a possible solution to Climate Change. (y) Fusion energy would be a game changer. It would no longer be necessary to dump billions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere.

Last edited:
   / Earth's Hottest Month #274  
It got over a 100 degrees in Phoenix? I don’t believe it, summers are usually cool and pleasant.

Deezler, please understand I’m not insulting you and I totally understand the point you are making, but you cherry pick data. Most people do, they pick the things they want to believe. I posted that people years ago said the earth was cooling. Someone else posted some links that agreed with this theory. You discounted them as being from unreliable sources, which may or may not be true.

I think if the experts just said we THINK, that earth may be warming, we THINK, that people are contributing to this trend, I’d respect them. They don’t use words like maybe or possibly though. I just can’t agree with anybody that insists something is fact on such a complex subject.

The Scientific Community deals with the truth and facts. What you are asking for and wanting is the Scientific Community to disregard all the test conducted, data collected, analyzed and cross analyzed and instead use theory or belief.

The American Tax Payer had better start counting the money in his/her pocket book. The bill is coming. High Tides in Miami Beach is flooding the streets.

Want to buy a home in the Florida Keys? Jump right in the prices are cheap. Water-Water, Water Ever Where.

Now of course one could say this is all theory and not fact.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #275  
Here are a few facts...:

For years conscientious. prudent people have been doing what they can to curb pollution etc...they recycle etc...some people will never bother unless money or other incentives are involved...

Long before the majority of the world ever heard about G.W. or climate change...consumers and industry have been trying to get away from the dependency on crude oil and it's products...

OK...So basically the efforts cited above mean people are already doing and have been doing what they can (on a personal level) to prevent contributing excessively to the advancement of AGW...

So...Why is there so much media attention and propaganda from entities (political and otherwise) with agendas?...What can the average prudent citizen do that they are not already doing?...why does every weatherperson on every TV station constantly mention climate change whenever there is an opportunity...when there is literally nothing anybody can do further about it...why is it constantly being mentioned ?

the only reason the entire climate change thing is being driven down the public's throat is nothing but subliminal propaganda and salesmanship (brainwashing)...!

What good does it do to constantly mention "climate change" every time there is a hurricane, a flood, a tornado etc., etc...? What is the point ?

/ Earth's Hottest Month #276  
Here are a few facts...:

For years conscientious. prudent people have been doing what they can to curb pollution etc...they recycle etc...some people will never bother unless money or other incentives are involved...

Long before the majority of the world ever heard about G.W. or climate change...consumers and industry have been trying to get away from the dependency on crude oil and it's products...

OK...So basically the efforts cited above mean people are already doing and have been doing what they can (on a personal level) to prevent contributing excessively to the advancement of AGW...

So...Why is there so much media attention and propaganda from entities (political and otherwise) with agendas?...What can the average prudent citizen do that they are not already doing?...why does every weatherperson on every TV station constantly mention climate change whenever there is an opportunity...when there is literally nothing anybody can do further about it...why is it constantly being mentioned ?

the only reason the entire climate change thing is being driven down the public's throat is nothing but subliminal propaganda and salesmanship (brainwashing)...!

What good does it do to constantly mention "climate change" every time there is a hurricane, a flood, a tornado etc., etc...? What is the point ?
There are not that many people in the U.S. that practice recycling, power saving, fuel saving, etc. on a meaningful level.

I'd guess less than 5%.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #278  
Ok Kev, I sat through the video finally. :p

Fairly well crafted arguments. Honestly, somewhat compelling. Some quick thoughts:
- No data was actually hidden, though. He was easily able to obtain it from public sources, after all. One would certainly hope that professionals, scientists, and policy makers will do their basic research and understand trends beyond the narrow confines of a chopped summary document.
- Sometimes there are legitimate reasons to constrain a trend chart to a certain range. For example, emissions of aerosols did have a real effect on keeping global surface temperatures cooler in the '30s-70s before we curtailed them with regulation. So trends since then are arguably more important.
- The video makers examples were rather narrow.
No one is blaming all current sea level rise on human activity alone. We know that increased global temps will melt more ice, so future sea level rise is FEARED to be worsening. It's not an instant feedback loop. But one only need look to the artic sea to observe a rapidly changing situation over the last decade. It kind of looks like the trend is increasing lately to me. For the majority of adults who agree that human carbon emissions are helping raise global temperatures, its a very easy connection to see how this will accelerate going forward.
12_12_sl-chart-11-2020.jpg

- 90 degree days in a random little Ohio town? awesome. How about 100 degree days in Phoenix? Sure looks like a trend here:
PHX_ge_100.png

Look at the under 32F and over 110F days too. Sh*t is changing, man.

So look, surely there are climate alarmists who are exaggerating their positions to win the battle of public opinion and bring investment to their cause. I wish they wouldn't. Personally, when I examine the data sources of the climate deniers/skeptics, they are much easier to disprove, or trace their funding directly to the fossil fuel industry, who obviously has a vested interest in disagreement on climate change.

I must always acknowledge the possibility of my own confirmation bias. I promise you guys that I really do try to always look at data sources and the motivations behind them. I don't have time to refute everyone's points in here... usually there are some allies willing to pull up the data as well lol.

In a related tangent, the past 2 years has seen my opinion of medical and pharmaceutical science change dramatically - and not for the better. Stay objective, folks.
deezler,

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and reply. I believe you are sincere. I will respond to one of your comments.

"One would certainly hope that professionals, scientists, and policy makers will do their basic research and understand trends beyond the narrow confines of a chopped summary document."

I have almost zero confidence that this is occurring. Most policy makers are just talking heads that are controlled by lobbyists or a few fervent constituents.

As far as "professionals and scientists" are concerned, put yourself in the place of Joe Scientists. They are on the receiving end of a $10,000,000 grant that could end in one year, two years, three years, or continue on depending on results of their investigation into climate change. Do you think they could be biased to report more study is needed? That things are more dire than they actually are and that more funding is urgently needed?

If I were one of those scientists I would certainly err on the side of caution and try to finish out my career supported by that grant. I would say to myself, "pushing this green agenda can certainly do no harm and might actually be doing good". "I can support myself and my family and by the time the truth is finally known 100 years from now, if we were wrong, I'll be dead and gone".

So, I respect your opinion deezler. I on the other hand am very very skeptical when it comes to the federal government, and they are the one's pushing the green agenda. When I see data manipulated the way this video demonstrates, I get even more skeptical.

Kevin

/ Earth's Hottest Month #279  
Why do people think that anyone disputing the cause is also disputing the effect?

/ Earth's Hottest Month #280  
There are not that many people in the U.S. that practice recycling, power saving, fuel saving, etc. on a meaningful level.

I'd guess less than 5%.

According to the EPA (dated 2 years) :
...On America Recycles Day 2019 (November 15), EPA recognized the importance and impact of recycling, which has contributed to American prosperity and the protection of our environment. The recycling rate has increased from less than 7 percent in 1960 to the current rate of 32 percent. An EPA study found that recycling and reuse activities in the United States accounted for 681,000 jobs and $37.8 billion in wages...

The one reason most commonly heard why people don't recycle is because it is too difficult or time consuming...and it is in may areas...they could make it so much easier

Status
Not open for further replies.