Earth's Hottest Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Earth's Hottest Month #471  
I partially agree that its sad that desert was turned to farmland, but what are we supposed to eat?
Theres 300+ million people in this country alone. We have to have food to survive. That may be "sad" to you, but its a necessity for survival.
Maybe another viewpoint, one would say "its sad theres so many people in LA and San Fran wasting so much water which could be used to grow food"???
California IS the most populous state. Maybe some of the more whiny ones complaining about heat and drought could move to Alaska? Theres lots of room there for people and its much cooler and more rainy.
Yet they stay in CA, consuming water and food and complaining 24/7 about heat, fires, and water shortages.
The average household in San Francisco uses 41 gallons per day...

/ Earth's Hottest Month #472  
So was Kudzu....
i heard 2 stories about kudzu

1. brought in to feed livestock

2 brought in to control erosion

what it does is ...... it eats the woods!

i met a guy years ago who made some nice supplemental $ renting goats to control the kudzu.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #473  

NASA seems like a good source.
Yes they do. That's a 6 year old report.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #474  
I was feeling bad for Californians in this drought, as wells are running dry and people do not have enough water to bath, drink etc. Then I read an article about how rice farmers in central CA have grandfathered water rights, and they grow rice on 500,000 acres and flood their fields 6" deep. The article said this allotment of water in 2021 is enough to supply LA's water needs for 4 years.

I don't feel bad any more. If you are insane enough to grow rice in a drought, you make your bed, you sleep in it.
i mentioned before, pbs show on water said 90% of fresh water used for ag.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #475  
I hope MossRoad caught this reference.

Both the Arctic and Antarctic, as well as Greenland , are On Track for very normal ice levels.

I guess that is an environmental catastrophe for some.
Yes, I did catch that reference. Nasa shows Greenland ice mass loss past 18 years.

Not sure where you're getting your data.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #476  
   / Earth's Hottest Month #477  
You may find this interesting.

ftp://ftp.gfz-potsdam.de/pub/home/kg/incoming/GARCA/REFERENCES/CRYOSPHERE/2007_BRENNER_IEEE_ICE_SHEET.pdf
I can't open it. Got another link? I'd like to read it.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #478  
Just a disclaimer here...

I drive gas burning cars and trucks. I heat with wood and natural gas. I like my electricity and flush toilets. Fast food. Airplane rides. All of it. So I'm a consumer.

I really do think the key to the future is nuclear power and a move away from fossil fuels for heating and electrical generation.

Many people could use an electric vehicle IF IT WAS AFFORDABLE. I know I could. But I'm in the used car camp when it comes to responsible use of my finances. I'm not going to purchase a used EV and face battery pack replacement costs. Not yet, anyway.

I'm also in the camp that I think the burning of fossil fuels over the past 100 years has affected the environment that we live in negatively. It used to be said that the solution for pollution was dilution. I think we're nearing the point of over-saturation in the air and oceans if we continue on that path. If we switch to nuclear and back off on fossil, we might get to a point where things will slow down.

I see wind and solar as supplemental until storage can be resolved, but really, I'd rather see a few nuclear plants in an area VS 10,000 windmills and solar farms.

Anyhow, that's my stance on the subject.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #480  
Just a disclaimer here...

I drive gas burning cars and trucks. I heat with wood and natural gas. I like my electricity and flush toilets. Fast food. Airplane rides. All of it. So I'm a consumer.

I really do think the key to the future is nuclear power and a move away from fossil fuels for heating and electrical generation.

Many people could use an electric vehicle IF IT WAS AFFORDABLE. I know I could. But I'm in the used car camp when it comes to responsible use of my finances. I'm not going to purchase a used EV and face battery pack replacement costs. Not yet, anyway.

I'm also in the camp that I think the burning of fossil fuels over the past 100 years has affected the environment that we live in negatively. It used to be said that the solution for pollution was dilution. I think we're nearing the point of over-saturation in the air and oceans if we continue on that path. If we switch to nuclear and back off on fossil, we might get to a point where things will slow down.

I see wind and solar as supplemental until storage can be resolved, but really, I'd rather see a few nuclear plants in an area VS 10,000 windmills and solar farms.

Anyhow, that's my stance on the subject.

Im almost 100% agreement with that.
Id like to see a shift on making power generation sources clean up their act FIRST, then lets see how the environment does, rather than make everyone go EV and recharge them with the same polluting power plants.
Make much more sense.

What the heck is the problem with nuclear power plants and cleaner burning natural gas plants getting built? Could create a large, positive economic boom, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.