Easy top link extension

/ Easy top link extension #1  

jodieadair

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
I have installed Pat's easy change on my tractor and love the ease of use but a major problem is that the top link needs to be extended to make up for the added lift arm length.
This is not a new problem, a simple search shows many others with the same concern. For some purchasing a longer top link is the answer but as my top link and many others is hydraulic, it's not that simple.
The link extension needs to be rigid, so a chain or and extender that creates a pivot point simply would not work.
Some more talented members welded brackets to extend the top link but that is not an option for me and others that do not weld.
I would have been happy to buy one but I could not find one anywhere.
So I figured I could at least try and come up with something.
I purchased four simple straight brackets, some threaded rod and nuts and came up with whats in the pictures.
It is very simple and requires no special tools. The total cost was under $40.

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_132358710.jpg
    IMG_20200525_132358710.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,136
  • IMG_20200525_132402030.jpg
    IMG_20200525_132402030.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 1,695
  • IMG_20200525_134831907.jpg
    IMG_20200525_134831907.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,255
   / Easy top link extension #2  
Nice job.....

/ Easy top link extension #3  
It's probably OK but you have changed the manner in which force can be applied (now with some leverage) to the top link connection point.

/ Easy top link extension #5  
Gooder-un :thumbsup:

/ Easy top link extension #6  
I was glad to find this. I have an Easy Change on the way, and am concerned about the top (hydraulic) link length. I might have a harder time solving the problem, though, since my Ventrac just has a single set of holes on the tractor side, so it's not obvious how I can extend that with rigidity.

/ Easy top link extension
It turns out this did not work well and I ended up having to purchase a longer hydraulic top link.

/ Easy top link extension #8  
Can you expand on why it did not work well? I am assuming the flat bars bent into a pretzel, but it would be good to know the details.

/ Easy top link extension
It worked for lighter tasks but it broke when tested with a subsoiler. I think it would work if constructed differently but the cheap fix did not work.

/ Easy top link extension #10  
This style looks stronger:

top link extender 002.JPG
top link extender r.jpg