Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out

/ Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out #1  

pmsmechanic

Elite Member
Tractor
4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245
It looks like I'm going to have to do this to my house. I'm getting older and not as brave as I used to be so no more walking around on the roof of the house blowing the leaves out of the gutters.

I'm just wondering what others have used and how well they work. This will be a next summers project.

/ Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out #2  
If you have a leaf problem, it's going to be a problem for any covers. The ones I have seen have little holes that won't let much water into the gutter and I'm sure even less, when covered with wet leaves.

We had torential rain a few days ago and the gutters were over flowing. I'm sure that would be much, much worse with any kind of covers or screens. So what becomes the point of having gutters?

/ Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out #3  
Thank you for finally revealing to this "lower 48'er" what Mike Holmes has been saying on his TV program "Make it right" all these years.
I could never figure out what an "Eve-strop" was ! eh? :laughing:

Last edited:
   / Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out #4  
I am not sure anyone has fully solved that problem short of cutting all the trees down around their house. We have Douglas Fir needles that get everywhere, not so many leaves. Like you, I blow mine out from the roof and with 300 feet of gutter on the house alone and another 100 feet or so on the shop cleaning gutters is a pain.

/ Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out #5  
I can't speak for every design, but.....my gutter covers are the ones with holes the size of a BB pellet. The White Pine needles go thru the holes and ultimately clog up the nearest downspout. :thumbdown: Then I have to unscrew the cover etc to clean them out. As to leaves, sticks, Sycamore balls, Pine cones etc., they ultimately either blow off on windy days or gather in low spots along the gutter line. Using a ladder....or sometimes getting on the roof with a blower I still have to do the maintenance. My house is a ranch with a shallow pitch.

My conclusion: this cover is better than nothing, but ain't that great.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out #6  
Unfortunately you won’t get very good info here. The designs are specific to the type of debris and rainfall. The mesh may work well for big leaves but doesn’t work as good for needles and fines. The surface tension style work great for needles but are cost prohibitive to many. Asking neighbors, gutter contractors and a few roofing contractors down there will probably yield the best results.

/ Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out
Thanks for the advice. I won't have any trouble with pine needles as those trees are too far away. My issue is with poplar trees. They provide enough shade in summer that I won't be cutting them down.

I just noticed that I got the word trough wrong in the heading. Oh well at least you all know now that I'm not perfect!

/ Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out #8  
There are several things offered to keep leaves out of gutters. Two companies, K-Guard and Leaf Guard offer a gutter system with a metal Helmet designed to cause leaves to be diverted away from the gutter while allowing water to enter. Both are pricey. $13.00 -$14.00 dollars per running foot if existing down spouts are used.

Leaf Guard. Good picture showing the separation helmet system. LeafGuard Gutters | LeafGuard of Charlotte | Seamless Rain Gutters

K-Guard gutter system. Again a good picture showing the helmet system. This one also provides comparison photos. Gutter Guards | Leaf Guard System | Gutter Protection System | KGuard

/ Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out #9  
I have leaf guard gutters on my barn (right under pine trees) and they do their job very well. They perform like normal gutters as long as it's a moderate to heavy rain. For drizzle and light rain, there is still a lot of dripping over the edges. But they are immune to leaves and pine needles and overall do their job.

On our home, I only have gutters above our front sidewalk and porch steps. They are regular half-round gutters. I had used foam gutter inserts to keep the leaves out, and they mostly work well. However, after 2-3 years, they get clogged with fine debris and loose gravel from the shingles, and eventually they plug up so bad I need to remove them and clean them, which is no small chore. This spring, after they clogged up and swamped our porch with water, I removed them and never put them back in. Every 1-2 weeks in autumn, I have been manually blowing out those gutters. I rigged up a 1" PVC pipe about 10' long that reaches up and over the gutters, and hook that up to the "blow" port on my shop vac. Works surprisingly well to blow leaves and pine needles out of the gutter from a position on the ground.

Today I was on the roof with a leaf blower blowing leaves off our back porch roof (if they accumulate next to the house wall, it can overflow the edge flashing in a heavy rain) and just went around front to blow out the front gutters. Leaves have been falling so thick lately, I bet you won't even know I did anything in another day or two.

I am tempted to try screen-type gutter guards up front, but know darn well they will be a magnet for pine needles. Probably work fine for leaves though.

/ Eaves through covers to keep the leaves out #10  
Seems like those would not work on Fir needles which are much shorter than pine needles but I would love to be wrong on that. Seems fir needles would just follow the contour along with the water?