Educate me on furniture please

/ Educate me on furniture please #11  
A few years ago we had saved up some money for the wifey to get the living room furniture she wanted. She was looking for leather chairs and couches. We looked at the usual furniture stores and then Ikea. Ended up buying form Ikea. They had the "look" we/she wanted, the price was way cheaper than the other stores, and Ikea had a 10 year warranty. After a few years, the furniture looks brand new and we have no complaints. I did have to assemble the furniture but it sure was not rocket science. The reclining chairs had to have the base attached to the back of the chairs and there was a bit of a technique to use but once I figure out the first one the rest went together quickly. The couch just was a wrench exercise. The furniture is real leather on wood.

Give Ikea a look if they are near you. Our closest Ikea is a couple of hour drive away but worth the trip.

Later,
Dan

/ Educate me on furniture please #12  
Just something else to think about...a little used cabin and upholstered furniture and "critters"...they love that loose filled stuff.

/ Educate me on furniture please #13  
A few years ago we had saved up some money for the wifey to get the living room furniture she wanted. She was looking for leather chairs and couches. We looked at the usual furniture stores and then Ikea. Ended up buying form Ikea. They had the "look" we/she wanted, the price was way cheaper than the other stores, and Ikea had a 10 year warranty. After a few years, the furniture looks brand new and we have no complaints. I did have to assemble the furniture but it sure was not rocket science. The reclining chairs had to have the base attached to the back of the chairs and there was a bit of a technique to use but once I figure out the first one the rest went together quickly. The couch just was a wrench exercise. The furniture is real leather on wood.

Give Ikea a look if they are near you. Our closest Ikea is a couple of hour drive away but worth the trip.

Later,
Dan
Agree on Ikea. We have a chair and a half we bought 20+ years ago and it has held up well. We had it recovered once. The couch in our main family room is also Ikea. Has different covers, so we can put a fresh one on and wash the other. Keeps the dog look at bay.

/ Educate me on furniture please #15  
Long story made short:

Have a lake cabin, used maybe 10 times a year.
Something with removeable/replaceable cushions. The wood/log furniture is a good idea but how about decent quality outdoor furniture used indoors?

/ Educate me on furniture please #16  
....so i am considering the following:

* Microfiber
* PU leather
* Faux leather
How old is your furniture at your house, I would skip all 3 choices, bite the bullet and replace your home furniture with new leather and bring your old home furniture to the cabin.

Same with beds, too!! Buy new for your home and bring the old up to the cabin!

/ Educate me on furniture please #17  
Depending on the humidity etc...mildew can be an issue with leather and leather like fabrics...

/ Educate me on furniture please #18  
Ikea used to be very good in the past
Maybe for the kids rooms. Than i prefer to buy some old pieces and restore them myself. This way you can have some good quality materials and with the new touch they might look awesome. Have a loot at Pottery Barn reviews here, so many people found some treasures on their website.

Last edited:
   / Educate me on furniture please #19  
as much as this thread is revived after 6 years, ... interesting discussion