electric trailer brakes on tractor?

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor? #1  

jiminpa

Bronze Member
Tractor
massy 35 diesel
can electric trailer brake controller be used on a tractor? reason is i have a 6x10 dump trailer i use for firewood, when it is full it is real heavy and my area is real hilly. i know my massey 35 will not stop it going down hill, but a new tractor is in the works.

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor? #2  
I would presume yes, you just would have to figure out how to operate it since tehse are usualy tied into the brake pedal on a vehicle.

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor? #3  
It would be fairly easy to rig up a brake pedal switch, otherwise just use a momentary push button that could manually apply when needed.

Otherwise I believe there are hitches that will convert the surge pressure to electric, but I'm sure they're expensive.

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor? #4  
If your tractor has break lights just follow the instructions same as you would a pick-up . Power from the battery or fuse box with a fuse and to the ground wire on the brake light switch. If this don't work then I'm wrong :)

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor? #5  
Many brake controllers have a manual engage brakes button or lever. I use my lever on the controller in my truck every time I hitch up. Stop everything from 30mph or so with just trailer brakes to determine if you need to adjust them. You want it strong enough to stop with authority, but not quite strong enough to lock up the trailer tires.

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor? #6  
Many new tractors have brake lights already, and a 7 pin connector on the back to hook up to your trailer. Mine has the harness, and the back part of the 7 pin plug, I would just need to buy the plug kit.

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor?
thanks! i got 2' extensions on the trailer,i can get over a cord of wood on it.makes it heavy!

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor? #8  
Also be handy for moving fill....I don't build my trailers without brakes anymore..

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor? #9  
And hay rides!

/ electric trailer brakes on tractor? #10  
I am assuming you have a commercially manufactured trailer that is wired and has brakes. If you are going to pull It with the MF 35, you need to decide how extensive a wiring job you want to do. If it never hits the road, I would consider splicing into the brake wire lead near the hitch along with a ground wire to a 2 conductor coupler. The tractor side leads would go to ground and to an inexpensive trailer controller with a manual activation sliding switch. The brake controller will have 3 leads in (ground, power, and a lead from the brake pedal switch, which you don't use) and the one output to your coupler. Most controllers have a digital readout and some type of adjustment setting. It needs to be mounted in a position that allows you easy access to "feather" as needed.

When that new tractor arrives, hopefully it will have the matching trailer plug and directions for wiring in the brake controller. If not, just transfer what you have to the new ride. Good luck, ht