Electric vehicles during a disaster

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #1  

Gee Ray

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bota L2501, NH TL80A
I was listening to the radio today. An interesting topic came up. How would the people in Florida evacuate for hurricane in electric vehicles. it wouldn’t take much for the charging stations to be overwhelmed leaving thousands of motorists stranded as the storm approached.

The second part of the problem would be how do you function without a power grid to charge your electric vehicles. As of now I’ve seen the gas stations bring in generators to run the gas pumps. I don’t think there’s enough generators to recharge all the cars.

I then got to thinking about up north in the winter time and an ice storm/snow storm could also disable the power grid for a long time. One could also add in the problems with tornadoes and floods.

I thought it was an interesting question for all the greenies out there.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #4  
This feature only scratches the surface of what vehicles and their electricity storage capacity (w/ bi- directional charging) could have on energy markets and usage. It would be a revolutionary change to society like computers 1990-2022.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #5  
Got it covered
2ikvozc745s21.jpg

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #7  
Whats worse is when evacuations begin, some will leave with only partially charged batteries, which will inevitably die and block traffic resulting in death and injury for those stuck behind the dead EVs.

Its just a matter of time before this becomes a regular event.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #8  
Yep! I have been saying the same thing about evacuations for months now. No one come up with any answers.

You don't need the power grid to fail in a blizzard, just a small backup on the highway and then a few dead batteries and then it will collapse, thousands of dead vehicles blocking plows and rescue vehicles. Don't forget, battery efficiency drops in cold weather and these EVs do not have excess heat to warm the cabin. IDK, how many will freeze to death? Of course there is always the green solar energy solution: you know, the June sunshine will solve the blizzard problem!

As for using your EV to power your house during a disaster, what's going to recharge the car???? Just more "green" BS that they don't have a second brain cell to think out.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #9  
I would truly like to try an EV but I fear it would never be practical where I live.

Last year, Winter arrived the 22nd of September and never left until late April, early May. It was below zero most of that time. I am afraid the mileage would be cut drastically and I could possibly be stranded and freeze to death.

In my previous life, I had to gather water samples at my 9 schools. The route was 480 miles round trip and had to be done after midnight to get them to the Lab on time. Many nights, I saw no other vehicles on the road. I would not have tried this in any EV.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #10  
Batteries will always be the bane of electric vehicles...This is why all efforts should be being made to develop safe, economical fuel cell or similar technologies...

...The possibilities are endless for smaller scale power supplies...could eliminate a majority of last mile transmission lines...and all the problems hurricanes and other weather disasters do to the last mile infrastructure...