Electric Water Temp Guage help needed

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I've removed almost every wire on my tractor and I have it running better then I can ever remember. Best of all, I can now start it up easily every time I want to use it.

One of the downfalls to my drastic actions is that I no longer have a working water temperature gauge. It worked before I cut out all those wires, so I'm sure it's just a matter of figuring out what I need to run to make it work again.

On the back of by dash I have 3 machine screws that connect to the gauge. The letter T is in the middle as you can see in the picture.

IMG_4894.JPG

I know that I need ground, power from the key and a line to the sensor.

Does this make sense? The screw to the left does not appear to go anywhere, so that's my line to the sensor. Thhe scrrew on ththe bottom goes to the fuel gauge screw and then to the number 1 slot on a harness. I'm thinkinng thats power from the key. The screw to the right goes to most of my idiot lights. I'm thinking that must be ground since the source for those idiot lights would have to be power?

Do I have that right or am I backwards?

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed
I connected it like I thought would work. The gauge goes strait to overheating, maximum temperature as soon as I turn on the key. Engine isn't running, just they key is on, and the gauge reads hot.

Does this mean I wired it wrong, or is the sending unit bad? or something else?

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed #3  
So the sender has only one wire and ground return?

MAYBE, the dash has a regulated lower voltage output. This is often used for the gauges so they don't fluctuate with varying system voltage. You don't want your gauges to change when you increase RPM or if you ran your battery down.

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed #4  
Another option is a mechanical gauge if you have a place to mount it...may not be as elegant as the OEM gauge but no wires needed...

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed #5  
Have you considered tracking down a wiring diagram for the tractor? Depending on the tractor the gauge may never "see" twelve volts in normal operation. Many instruments, especially in older equipment, are fed a regulated five volts - give or take.

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed #6  
Not sure if this helps, but here is my dash I rebuilt for our 1978 Case 580C backhoe.
I used the original tach/hour meter and installed mechanical Autometer gauges on Kydex as the mount to hold it it all together.
Just my :2cents:
20170728_102011_1501705062377.jpg

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed
I gave up on the gauge and bought a mechanical gauge. The sending unit has a short sensor that fits into the water thermostat housing. The mechanical gauge has a long sensor that does not fit. I've ordered an adapter kit from Amazon, so I'm hopeful that will solve this issue. During the cooler months, I wasn't too worried about over heating, but now that temps are in the 80's and going to be a lot warmer pretty soon, I really want a functional temperature gauge so I can know when to stop bush hogging and clean out my radiator screen.

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed #8  
Not sure if this helps, but here is my dash I rebuilt for our 1978 Case 580C backhoe.
I used the original tach/hour meter and installed mechanical Autometer gauges on Kydex as the mount to hold it it all together.
Just my :2cents:
View attachment 653851

Hey that is very good work. :thumbsup:

Do you think Kydex would stand up to the sun on a open tractor without a cab or sun shade?

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed #9  
Eddie, a call to a local dealer's part department may can tell you the voltage that is suppose to be used. Keep up the good work, have a Volvo excavator may be doing this with. Mechanic who is helping me does not seem to concern about out ability to have working temp guage so might be ones that run off of 12 volts. He is well aware my system rus lower than 12 volts.

On tractor overheating when mowing don't over look the air filter.

/ Electric Water Temp Guage help needed #10  
Hey that is very good work. :thumbsup:

Do you think Kydex would stand up to the sun on a open tractor without a cab or sun shade?

Dieselscout, I think it would hold up pretty good, I used the thicker stuff forget what size but the real thin kydex was to flimsy.