Electronic Ignition for M-F with Continental gasoline engines

/ Electronic Ignition for M-F with Continental gasoline engines #21  
Good one fried1765
I don't have a flat spot on my property, without 4WD I leave the chains on all year, better traction in the forest when skidding wood and dragging rocks :)
This 65 year old tractor cost me 1/6 of a new one and its really strong and serves me well.
If only it had power steering, it just means I have stronger arms I guess.
I still have my 1951 8N (without power steering).
I too have never bought a new tractor, but have a 1989 Ford, and a 2006 Kubota.
Both have power steering!
The 8N sits looking rather lonely in a corner of my barn, having not been run in the past ten years.
If it had a loader like your TO35, and being without PS, plus me being 80, my 8N would simply be impossible for me to use!

Last edited:
   / Electronic Ignition for M-F with Continental gasoline engines #22  
I still have my 1951 8N (without power steering).
I too have never bought a new tractor, but have a 1989 Ford, and a 2006 Kubota.
Both have power steering!
The 8N sits looking rather lonely in a corner of my barn, having not been run in the past ten years.
If it had a loader like your TO35, and being without PS, plus me being 80, my 8N would simply be impossible for me to ever use!

/ Electronic Ignition for M-F with Continental gasoline engines
Looks like changing the plugs did the trick sputtering practically gone, used tractor for 3 hours to move 20tons of gravel with back blade.
Previous ones had fouled up, I cleaned them with a wire brush and carb cleaner but I guess that wasn't enough.

I used Champion D16 plugs because that is what was installed originally.
I see some using Autolite 3116 what are you guys running on your continental Z134 gasser?

View attachment 707008
Nice tractor! All I've ever used is the Autolite plugs (y). & I don't know the number :unsure: I buy them at NAPA & they are for a Z134 Continental gasoline engine & I've never had any problems with them & since I put the Pertronix in they last 3 times longer & that is what was in the M-F 50 when I bought it.
Looks like changing the plugs did the trick sputtering practically gone, used tractor for 3 hours to move 20tons of gravel with back blade.
Previous ones had fouled up, I cleaned them with a wire brush and carb cleaner but I guess that wasn't enough.

I used Champion D16 plugs because that is what was installed originally.
I see some using Autolite 3116 what are you guys running on your continental Z134 gasser?

View attachment 707008

/ Electronic Ignition for M-F with Continental gasoline engines #24  
Did the electric ignition conversation last month on a massey 135 continental z145. Engine was reliable prior to the conversion but now the plugs are much cleaner and it seems a lot smoother. People have noticed that the engine sounds different...in a good way. Lol. The engine does blow a little blue smoke while under load, so gonna replace the valves to start with and maybe pay someone to redo the pistons and rings. Any recommendations?

/ Electronic Ignition for M-F with Continental gasoline engines #25  
may not be the valves. what is your compression?
how easy is it to replace the valve seals?

/ Electronic Ignition for M-F with Continental gasoline engines #26  
may not be the valves. what is your compression?
how easy is it to replace the valve seals?
Havent checked compression yet. Not sure about the seals. People have told me that the pistons, sleeves, and rings and bearings are pretty easy to replace.

/ Electronic Ignition for M-F with Continental gasoline engines #27  
I just ordered a Pertronix ignitor and coil for my brothers little WD45,
he already had one on one of them so now both WD's will have it.
I ordered them straight from Pertronix with a 10% discount for signing up on their site.

I just ordered a Pertronix ignitor and coil for my brothers little WD45,
he already had one on one of them so now both WD's will have it.
I ordered them straight from Pertronix with a 10% discount for signing up on their site.
Sounds like a good deal! I Put a set of these in all 3 of my classic automobiles before I put them in my M-F 50 & I put a set in a boat as well never had any issues with them & they are very reliable & they have been installed for over 20 years on all 5 applications (y).

Havent checked compression yet. Not sure about the seals. People have told me that the pistons, sleeves, and rings and bearings are pretty easy to replace.
On my M-F 50 I just replaced the piston rings & the valve stem seals & she has been running fine since then & that was a little over 20 years ago & a little blow by is quite normal.

Hey fellow TBN members ! This is for M-F owners who are tired of points & want to do a simple conversion to a electronic ignition & use the stock distributor, cap,& rotor. Benefits set your timing once & forget it plugs are less prone to fowling, & all you need to check is the distributor cap & rotor button for wear,& spark plugs last 2 to 3 times longer.o_O I've been using them on my M-F 50 for 22 years! & have replaced cap & rotor twice & plugs once & she gets used year round (y). It'a ( Pertronix ) brand you will need to get the no. of your distributor located at the base it's a tag recommendations, New 8mm plug wires ,Pertronix Flamethrower coil. Best place to get the the Pertronix & coil as far service & price is CBS Performance & there website is www.cbsperformance.com If your still using your tractor as a working tractor & plan to keep it & want reliable performance it's a good investment IMHO:cool:. I will follow up with a picture of the install in place;).View attachment 700188View attachment 700188
I brought this up for Earlybird112 & another member suggested Autolite no.386 for plug number! I also use the Autolite plugs in my tractor & that is what came in the tractor when I bought it used 25+ years ago.