Emergency air evac, something to think about

/ Emergency air evac, something to think about #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Who has emergency Air evac insurance/membership??

Since many of us live in the "country", how many have thought about sudden emergency (usually Helicopter) membership? The predominate one in my area and in the mid, to South is Air evac Lifeteam,. This is the service we have for $65 year, for the whole house.

Air Evac Lifeteam

If you think about all the possibilities that can happen on the farm, ranch or open property, such as Heart attack, stroke, tractor accident, you name it, it is something to consider. Transport cost can almost bankrupt you for trauma flights.

While in law enforcement. I worked many accidents that required a Careflight, or Air evac (DFW area) to get someone to fast critical care hospitals, 30k for a 20 mile flight is not uncommon. "Sometimes" insurance covers some of the flight, but the membership will cover anything my insurance doesn't, similar to "gap" in the auto industry. Might check with you're insurance policy and see what you have, be proactive, it could save you allot of $$.

To get an idea, you can go to the link above and read the FAQ's section and do you're own research, then search in you're area for providers. Nice knowing if you have to be flown after a severe accident, you are covered. There are exclusions, so read up on it. As far as I'm concerned, it is cheap mental "insurance", that God forbid an accident, I wont be saddled with a 20-50k flight bill.

My county (Wise) here in Texas, has a "group policy" for county employees since one base is here in Decatur Texas.

We are considering a further "travel emergency ambulance" policy also, doing some price checking now. If you travel allot domestically, internationally, or just a RV'r, it is something smart to consider IMO.

BTW. I am in no way affiliated with any service, just was thinking some of you fellas may not know that this could be an available option for you and your family while "out on the range"

Last edited:
   / Emergency air evac, something to think about #3  
We have "medivac" up here. If the injury is determined crucial via the responding EMS the flight is called in. The service is covered, similar to ambulance service for a nominal fee.
We are located in a flight path for the helicopters - always flying overhead, always make me consider the situation. I remember years ago when they were first introduced. The main children's hospital in our region is located in a fairly affluent part of the capitol city. There was a lot of initial complaining about noise and disruption... my first thought was - heaven forbid if you or your children were in an accident and need the service - so sorry for disrupting the neighbourhood.

Glad to know they exist...

We have controlled landing areas around the province in rural fields, town etc. If the ambulance gets them to a landing spot they are airlifted. They have also shut down highways as well to accommodate medivacs.

/ Emergency air evac, something to think about
Lloyd, here, the police will clear any area they have too, I have shut down highways when needed. I could'nt imagine the cost to a family that had to have several members transported by helicopter. I have been at accident scenes where 2-3 choppers where needed.

/ Emergency air evac, something to think about #5  
The other night our VFD was called out to set up a landing zone - the local EMS called it for a resident. Looking at it time wise the whole time from calling 911 to helicopter at the hospital 70 miles away was about an 1.5 hours. If this could eliminate the EMS to drive out and evaluate then it would save at least 30-45 minutes.

Good point Don, that's where medically trained officers and deputies could speed things up. Unfortunately not many in Texas. I had only emergency triage in the academy and and officer survival taught at the FBI office in Austin. I think I learned more on the job, if a helo was needed. When I arrived and felt a chopper was warranted, I called for stand-by, this had the chopper hot, twirling and ready to go. I believe most VFD do this to if they are 1st n scene?.

/ Emergency air evac, something to think about #7  
Good point Don, that's where medically trained officers and deputies . . .
And right there is the problem, our VFD is not medically trained and does not respond to medical emergencies. In fact the SO just a drafted dispatch procedure and only trained personal can call for a helicopter. My job is to find out who the Sheriffs department deems trained. If I drive up on a severe vehicle wreck will I have to wait 20-30 minutes for EMS to arrive for them to authorize a request for a chopper, or will I have the authority to call one. Stand-by is not mentioned in the procedure and it should be the minimum authority to grant non-EMS trained VFDs.

Don, I think I would have to call, or better, visit the Helo crew. They will sure tell you what protocols they prefer. They may even have a lead on a school, (I believe it was Care flight that gave our landing class and that included several VFD personnel) My job was control and contain the scene, landing was secondary and usually we let the VFD handle that since they had the vehicles and manpower.

I know those crews are da&^ good at what they do and do it with passion ,but it isn't cheap.

I bet if you where a evac member, If yours has that, you could call for you or the Mrs. Worth asking them.