Financing End of the line for zero financing?

Lilguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
With the latest fed increase are we at the end of the line for the zero interest consumer economy?

mddorange

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Kubota L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, Loaded rear tires, LP RCR 1860 5' Cutter, LP RTA 1258 5' Tiller, LP PFL 2042 Pallet Forks w/60" Extensions, KK BB60 Box Blade, KK PHD-12" Post Hole Digger
Yes, but the real problem is that a lot of businesses will jump even higher trying to get ahead of the next increase.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
With the latest fed increase are we at the end of the line for the zero interest consumer economy?
Zero percent financing ALWAYS has a cost and did not come into being after the 2008 crisis.
When supply and market conditions dictate, zero percent deals will be around regardless of the Fed rate.

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016

You could actually see more of it. They only show you "0" so they can increase the price so as to get their money they didn't get from interest. I bought a tractor that was a few bucks cheaper at 4.3% interest in the long run, than buying the thing for 0 interest but at the higher "0 %" purchase price .

tcartwri

Elite Member
Tractor
CT235
Zero financing was strictly marketing. I assure you they were not doing us a favor.

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MX5100, L4300, B7800. JD 790
Zero percent financing ALWAYS has a cost and did not come into being after the 2008 crisis.
When supply and market conditions dictate, zero percent deals will be around regardless of the Fed rate.

You could actually see more of it. They only show you "0" so they can increase the price so as to get their money they didn't get from interest. I bought a tractor that was a few bucks cheaper at 4.3% interest in the long run, than buying the thing for 0 interest but at the higher "0 %" purchase price .

Zero financing was strictly marketing. I assure you they were not doing us a favor.

Bingo on all three. Zero is just a different form of a discount with a little snake oil rubbed in..

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor; 5,400 pounds operating weight ~~~~~~~~ 37 horsepower
Cars or tractors, if you want the business you have to offer attractive financing.

The majority of customers shopping have acceptable credit but no money in the bank.

(Which is a pretty terrible statement about how financially unprepared the same folks are for eventual retirement.)

Kubota is based in Japan where the Japanese 10 year note was 0.07%, ( 7/100ths of 1% ) yesterday.

Without question "0%" financing is built into the net, net, net tractor price UNLESS you can pay cash and negotiate, in which case the "0%" premium can be squeezed out.

I speculate 90% of 17-horsepower to 60-horsepower tractors are financed.

Last edited:

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
Last car I purchased I paid cash.
Man that sales rep tried everything to sell me on financing it.
I very strongly suspect he got a fair kickback (or commission) above his normal commission for selling a car.

Call me old school but parents taught me to save for what I wanted, not buy on credit.
Only finance I ever did was on housing, and that for my primary dwelling. Cottages and toys were always cash.

On the other hand I also keep and maintain vehicles for long times as it is much cheaper in the long run.
I do research B4 buying and always get second opinions when not sure,

Just do not believe 0% is true, someone somewhere is paying for that borrowed money.
OK, if factory sponsored the % is on the manufacturers actual cost and not retail as we know it but still a hidden cost factor.

OP
L

Lilguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I have 2 dealers within an hour of me. Their quotes are within change of one and other and they both said they'd take 500 additional off deal for cash. So there are Big incentives from KUBOTA to push Zero finance.

Yes, dealers get kick backs for financing.
The longer the term the bigger the perk.

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor; 5,400 pounds operating weight ~~~~~~~~ 37 horsepower
On the other hand, inflation was 1.7% last year and likely will surpass 2% in 2017. Over a four or six year "0%" loan you are paying off the loan with continually depreciating dollars.

Kubota wants to move iron. The more volume Kubota has, the lower Kubota's cost per unit produced.

Financing is crucial to dealers, a necessary evil to Kubota, which can access cheap Japan capital but hates the financing risk it assumes.

Last edited:

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
When I bought my BX 6 years ago he price was the same, finance or cash. That is a penalty for paying cash. I financed even though I had the cash. And that was one of the fastest movers of CUTS and SCUTS in the state.

Ron

That was because it was a 'fast mover' did not need an incentive to sell.

Look at car adds, "up to $4000. discount", sure on the top, fully loaded, full list price model but only peanuts on the base every day version.
Then comes the pitch " To save $4000. and get all that luxury it is only 27 cents a day, less than a coffee"
and now we suggest the extended protection plan..............

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
When I bought my BX 6 years ago he price was the same, finance or cash. That is a penalty for paying cash. I financed even though I had the cash. And that was one of the fastest movers of CUTS and SCUTS in the state.
Ron

Ron, I ran into the same thing 8 years ago when we bought our tractor. Up until we got to the cash/credit question the bargaining went pretty much like these kind of things always do. That is to say that after a week or two of talking about everything from fishing to hunting dogs to how the weather was affecting crops, we had somehow found time to come up with an agreeable package price for everything we wanted. Then we got around to how I was going to pay for it.

Of course at that point our deal is still not final. It's all just talk and speculation; the dealer has no assurance that I'll go through with it. I knew about the 0% credit of course; everyone knows about that. But I'd deliberately left the cash/credit question for the very last because I figured on getting a few additional dollars knocked off for cash. To my surprise a week later he hadn't budged a penny. His price for cash and 0% credit were still identical. So just as you did, I went with the 4 year credit, too. And probably for a lot of the same reasons.

The dealer did say that the reason it didn't make any difference to him was because it didn't make a difference to Kubota. The Kubota home office would buy the 4 year 0% note from him for the same face value as if it were cash.
But it still bothers me. I cannot think of any reason why any business would rather have a note than cash. Any ideas?
rScotty

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
. I cannot think of any reason why any business would rather have a note than cash. Any ideas? rScotty[/QUOTE said:
For a local furniture business who touts "have up to 5 years to pay no interest charged" it simply moves furniture. It addresses the impulse buyer big time. I attempted to pay for the whole thing asking for a "purchase price" and it was the same as the 5 year deal. No discount. Why? because if these stores continued that practice, it gives less credence that a person is actually getting a deal with the 5 year plan. One still has to pay monthly. The still can repossess the furniture if monthly obligation is not met plus they get incentives from all the manufacturers . As is, furniture has a 100% mark up or more. What better way to make even more money with a 8%-12% invisible finance charge on a 5 year investment.

KubotaToy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota LX331HSDC (hers) and L45 (mine), RTV1100 (hers)

This!

:thumbsup:

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Last car I purchased I paid cash.
Man that sales rep tried everything to sell me on financing it.
I very strongly suspect he got a fair kickback (or commission) above his normal commission for selling a car.

Call me old school but parents taught me to save for what I wanted, not buy on credit.
Only finance I ever did was on housing, and that for my primary dwelling. Cottages and toys were always cash.

On the other hand I also keep and maintain vehicles for long times as it is much cheaper in the long run.
I do research B4 buying and always get second opinions when not sure,

Just do not believe 0% is true, someone somewhere is paying for that borrowed money.
OK, if factory sponsored the % is on the manufacturers actual cost and not retail as we know it but still a hidden cost factor.

Same here... grandparents and parents went through the Depression... only thing I've bought on time is a first mortgage... unless I can pay for something I can't afford it... really cuts down on impulse buying.

Oldoak

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5060GST, J D X758 GT, J D 855D XUV
Same here... grandparents and parents went through the Depression... only thing I've bought on time is a first mortgage... unless I can pay for something I can't afford it... really cuts down on impulse buying.
I am "old school" too. Couldn't agree with you more. First house mortgage and first new vehicle is are the only things I bought on time and paid interest on. Even now, we only use a credit card to avoid carrying cash. Any charges are paid off every month without one penny interest added. Thanks to my parents, we were taught if we didn't have the cash, we couldn't afford it and we don't need the latest and greatest of anything.

So when making a major purchase such as a new tractor, which isn't often, I'm always looking for a cash incentive, not "0" % financing.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
It's a great feeling not to be beholding to banks and finance companies...

As a small child each Thursday I would go with my Grandmother on market day... it always started at the bank where she withdrew cash and then we went on our way shopping.

She never had a credit card in her life and let it be known how much she disapproved when I proudly showed her my Sears Card at age 18... said this is how it starts and made me promise to never carry a balance... words I still live by.

Many of those low and zero interests come with strings such as a late payment triggers all the shadow interest to be added to the bill...

I realize that many simply buy on payments.... it seems to be the American way.

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Being older, I don't finance anything but pay up front and can say there is a big difference between any type of financing and a clean cash deal. That's kind of vague but I've learned how to manipulate this a bit but have found dealers very much prefer cash and will discount for a clean deal. Financing must help them but they know with a cash deal that sweetening the pot with a discount could result in an immediate sale and they do it. This especially occurs with aged inventory that they want to get out of and know it can be gone by the end of the day with the right price..

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
Yea, I never found a dealer willing to offer anything off for cash.

Matter of fact, last car I bought last yr, I was going to pay cash, and was told the price would be higher if paying cash, that their offer was based on their financing, at 0%... Of courses I financed with them at 0%.

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
After buying the tractor on the financing plan (I made it an auto pay to avoid late payments) I found that the price on implements was negotiable as you cannot finance them on the 0 % deal except as part of the tractor purchase. I am well aware that the financing is a hidden part of the price. Not much choice if you want a new tractor as all the brands are sold the same way. Does that sound like collusion between manufacturers. Also most of the cuts and scuts are bought by small land owners that do have a pile of cash but good enough credit. True farms (filing schedule F), buy larger tractors and that is a lot bigger cash market. My BIL, a corporate farmer, always paid cash at the dealers. But on large items like combines his banking arrangements were cheaper interest than any dealer could offer. He also always bought from the same dealer and could be counted on to buy at least one tractor/combine/etc per year. That changes the negotiation scenario quickly.

Ron

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
I just used the 0% financing. To use it you do not get to use a $1000 cash rebate. After dealing was done I asked the dealer to squeeze another $500 out, and they did. But also when you finance, you pay them $250 to file lean and paper work. So to use 0% it cost me $750 in the long run. Still cheap money, but it does keep you tied into the American rat race.

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
I have a Muslim general contractor I've done work for. We were talking and I asked why he didn't build more. He explained that he didn't have enough cash to do more. Their faith doesn't allow you to pay interest, or be 'beholden' to another. I jokingly told him he was in America now and supposed to be in debt up to his ears. He said it would have been nice sometimes to be able to. I can say he was never late on any payments and has a nice house, put his kids through college, one of which is a lawyer on a congressional committee in DC. All of this done interest free. Our government is funded partly by interest. It is something to think about, especially as you get older.

TheMadOne

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560HSTC-LE, formerly L3301
I would love to be able to pay cash for larger purchases. Two things stop me. Lack of spare "reserve" cash, and credit ratings. The lack of cash could be solved by simply delaying purchase until I have the money in hand, but I want to buy a larger place some day, and I often find waiting carries it's own penalties in lost time(and wages, in the case of things that help me get to work in bad weather). I've been working hard the last several years to get my credit rating up as high as I can to get the best rate on the land. A large part of that is having a solid payment history. When I got my second car I was a "ghost" in the credit system, since I'd only ever paid cash for things. That meant that I had to pay 40% down and a stupid high interest rate, something over 10%. And that was the best deal offered to me. I eventually got credit, then I got sick and had a couple of late student loan payments(made all my other payments, but between hospital bills and the actual illness I slipped up on the student loans). Those killed my credit rating, down into the low 500s. Ever since then I've been working my way back up and currently have a rating in the upper mid 600s.

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I have a Muslim general contractor I've done work for. We were talking and I asked why he didn't build more. He explained that he didn't have enough cash to do more. Their faith doesn't allow you to pay interest, or be 'beholden' to another. I jokingly told him he was in America now and supposed to be in debt up to his ears. He said it would have been nice sometimes to be able to. I can say he was never late on any payments and has a nice house, put his kids through college, one of which is a lawyer on a congressional committee in DC. All of this done interest free. Our government is funded partly by interest. It is something to think about, especially as you get older.

The Bible states the same philosophy as the Koran. Not sure whether modern Judaism practices what the old testament preaches. Christians sure don't, me being one.

Ron

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I would love to be able to pay cash for larger purchases. Two things stop me. Lack of spare "reserve" cash, and credit ratings. The lack of cash could be solved by simply delaying purchase until I have the money in hand, but I want to buy a larger place some day, and I often find waiting carries it's own penalties in lost time(and wages, in the case of things that help me get to work in bad weather). I've been working hard the last several years to get my credit rating up as high as I can to get the best rate on the land. A large part of that is having a solid payment history. When I got my second car I was a "ghost" in the credit system, since I'd only ever paid cash for things. That meant that I had to pay 40% down and a stupid high interest rate, something over 10%. And that was the best deal offered to me. I eventually got credit, then I got sick and had a couple of late student loan payments(made all my other payments, but between hospital bills and the actual illness I slipped up on the student loans). Those killed my credit rating, down into the low 500s. Ever since then I've been working my way back up and currently have a rating in the upper mid 600s.

Modern banking/financing does not support the practice of constitutional religious freedom.

Ron

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
I view credit as a tool. Sometimes it is good practice to use other people's money, other times it is not. I have seen potentially profitable businesses wither and die because the owners decided debt was a bad thing. There is no shame in profiting from the lawful use of others' resources.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
To bad it is a slippery slope to live beyond one's means or even gamble.

I use credit as I have a first mortgage (at 2.75%) and use charge cards that are paid in full monthly.

Many of the low or no interest rate offers comes with strings like shadow interest due should any payment be late... quite a shock to one person I know that bought furniture on time and totally legitimate.

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
I went with the 0% on the last 2 Kubotas I bought. Both times I offered cash and the dealer told me he could not do any better if I paid cash. I also ran into the same thing when I bought my last Toyota truck-The price was the same cash or financed. I did buy a Toyota car 3 years ago-I had the choice of $1500 cash back with 0% interest or $750 cash and 2.5% interest. I took the 2.5% and paid for 2/3 of the car in cash.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
I expect as interest rates rise the options will narrow...

Never in my life did I think I would have a 2.75 15 year fixed no cost home mortgage... it is just to attractive to let go so I do understand.

timswi

Tractor
Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring
Yea, I never found a dealer willing to offer anything off for cash.

Matter of fact, last car I bought last yr, I was going to pay cash, and was told the price would be higher if paying cash, that their offer was based on their financing, at 0%... Of courses I financed with them at 0%.

Yes that is absolutely true. The dealer recives a reserve off of the financing and if you're not paying that, it gets added back into the purchase price--they are not going to eat that. I've known people who negotated deals on new trucks and have the dealer refuse to sell it at that price when notified they were paying cash..I tell everyone who is paying cash, finance it and pay it off on the first payment..You pay a few bucks in interest fo a month or so but no where near the price increase incurred...Also never walk into a dealer and say I'm paying cash..You already lost...Referring to car dealers mostly here.

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yes that is absolutely true. The dealer recives a reserve off of the financing and if you're not paying that, it gets added back into the purchase price--they are not going to eat that. I've known people who negotated deals on new trucks and have the dealer refuse to sell it at that price when notified they were paying cash..I tell everyone who is paying cash, finance it and pay it off on the first payment..You pay a few bucks in interest fo a month or so but no where near the price increase incurred...Also never walk into a dealer and say I'm paying cash..You already lost...Referring to car dealers mostly here.

That's pretty clever. Finance but pay off on the first payment.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just jumping through the hoops to get the desired result.

MessickFarmEqu

Yes, dealers get kick backs for financing.
The longer the term the bigger the perk.

Completely and totally untrue. Its of no difference to us if you pay cash or finance unless your choosing a rate that requires participation on our part. In no case have I ever seen any tractor company pay the dealer for contracts.

timswi

Tractor
That's pretty clever. Finance but pay off on the first payment.

The only bad part about this, depending on your point of view, is that the financing company will usually recourse the dealer for the reserve earned on your deal...The dealer might remember that next time, or not....There is usualy a time that the account has to stay open before the recourse aspect matures...Depends on the financing company--Guessing 90 days or so if you like the dealer.

quotejso

Tractor
XG3025H
I went with the 0% on the last 2 Kubotas I bought. Both times I offered cash and the dealer told me he could not do any better if I paid cash. I also ran into the same thing when I bought my last Toyota truck-The price was the same cash or financed. I did buy a Toyota car 3 years ago-I had the choice of $1500 cash back with 0% interest or $750 cash and 2.5% interest. I took the 2.5% and paid for 2/3 of the car in cash.

Why not take the extra $750, could have payed it off either way?

timswi

Tractor
Look close at the fine print; some finance contracts have a penalty for early pay off.

Ron

prime vehicle loans generally don't, but RV's and other stuff like that can.

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
My post was backwards-I took the $1500 and 2.5% rather than the $750 and 0%. Paid off a 7,000 loan 6 months early with a total interest charge of $100.

Will

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
Sunday's San Francisco Chronicle came with a Kubota advertising insert offering 0 down, 0 percent financing over 48 months... kind of a wonder as there are no Kubota Dealers countywide around here...

The cover page offered Kubota Kommander-Pro Series z411KW-48 Mower at $5,999 with 0 down, 0 A.P.R. for 48 months.

Other featured products are B Series, BX Series, L Series and on the back cover RTV-X1120D with 48 monthly payments of $332.93

Kind of been thinking of an RTV-X1120D but have to wonder if I can really buy one for $15,981 excluding tax?

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
I got that offer in the mail.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
Even though I have bought two new Kubota Tractors I have received next to nothing in the way of Kubota Corp mail...

When I bought the second tractor Kubota had a loyalty program I learned about here on TBN...

I contacted Kubota and mentioned I was looking for a second Tractor and Kubota verified my purchase which tip the scale enough for me to buy the L3800...

My experience with Kubota doing right my customers is most satisfactory...

azkubotaguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060
I was able to get Zero Down, Zero Interest for 60 Months on my new L4060 HSTC 4x4 Cab Tractor, plus I believe 6 years of warranty.