Engine choice: Kawasaki FX1000 vs Yamaha 824cc EFI

/ Engine choice: Kawasaki FX1000 vs Yamaha 824cc EFI #1  

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
Anyone have any real world fuel consumption info for these two engines? I'm considering getting a zero turn mower and the models I'm looking for use one of these engines. The Yamaha 824cc is a 33HP EFI engine (might be the MX825V model?) and the Kawasaki FX1000 is a 35HP carb. Just wondering how they compare in fuel usage? Logic says the EFI would be better but I don't want to assume.

Also, does anyone have any feedback on dependability? One Bad Boy dealer I've talked to only orders the Yamaha engine in models where it is offered (he's also a Yamaha dealer, so...) and another one I talked to tries to only order the Kawasaki FX1000 because of problems years ago with Yamaha engines and Vanguard engines. Yamaha makes some pretty good stuff across many vehicle categories so I have faith in them. But Kawasaki engines are all over the place in small engine vehicles so obviously they do pretty well.

Thanks,
Rob

/ Engine choice: Kawasaki FX1000 vs Yamaha 824cc EFI #2  
I'm pretty sure the Yamaha is basically a re-badged Subaru...

When Subaru got out of small engines, Yamaha bought some of the engine line, Kubota bought a couple and the rest went to a china company.

Not that, that means the Yamaha is bad, but it does give you some idea of what you are looking at...

BTW, Kawasaki has turned out some mower engines that weren't great too, like all the ones that had plastic valvetrain problems!!

SR

/ Engine choice: Kawasaki FX1000 vs Yamaha 824cc EFI
Interesting. My Bad Boy dealer, who is also a Yamaha dealer (marine and motorsports) indicated the Yamaha in the Bad Boy was a derivation of their marine line. But I know dealers don't always have full facts.

/ Engine choice: Kawasaki FX1000 vs Yamaha 824cc EFI #4  
Right now, my 2012 Gravely 460 Zeroturn has that FX1000cc 35HP Kawaski engine in it, and currently doing 2150 hours on the meter. With good maintenance, I fully expect to get to see the 3000 hours mark. It's a reliable, dependable unit and very easy on the maintenance. I am a big Kubota/Kohler fan when it comes to mowing engines, but this Kawaski just keeps going strong, and has been holding up extremely well.

Last edited: