EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #1  

sd455dan

Tractor
Rhino 554, Ford 550 TLB (JD X500, MTD, Gilson riding mowers) Ford 3000-Sold
Street vehicles—cars, trucks, and motorcycles—can't be converted into racecars according to the EPA.

The EPA has never pursued this before but looks like If a person races and only races a vehicle that was originally sold for use on road they want the performance parts removed and all factory emissions equipment replaced.

There are around 1300 race tracks across America and those who race are predominately running modified hi-way use vehicles.

SEMA is going to fight for what is a 2 billion dollar business.

It is called the RPM act

Last edited:
   / EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #2  
Indy ruined Indy car racing. The Indy 500 used to be a proving ground for racing tech. Ford Offenhouser engines used to be the preferred engine. Then came turbines, they started restricting air intake to slow them down. Honda introduced an active suspension system that kept all 4 corner of car 1" above track. Worked so well they outlawed it.

Stopped watching Indy car races when the only difference between cars was the paint job.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #3  
I'd guess there are a whole lot more emissions generated by the fans driving to the track than what the racecars put out themselves....

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing
Indy ruined Indy car racing. The Indy 500 used to be a proving ground for racing tech. Ford Offenhouser engines used to be the preferred engine. Then came turbines, they started restricting air intake to slow them down. Honda introduced an active suspension system that kept all 4 corner of car 1" above track. Worked so well they outlawed it.

Stopped watching Indy car races when the only difference between cars was the paint job.
I hear you , still watch it most years though. Also Wish they had what the 1960's NASCAR was...Before it got to the only differences in bodies was paint color

Modified production vehicles with tuned factory bodies and hopped up Production engines. That made it FUN and the Win on Sunday Sell on Monday a Real thing. Really increased the interest in new production cars. Halcyon Era Gone by.

Same goes for the original Trans Am racing.

Loved that.

Mustangs, Javelins, Camaros , Challengers, and Firebirds. All different bodies and engines up to 305 CU.

Drag Racing also will be affected.

I have to wonder if SEMA will argue "restraint of trade".

It does seem to fit.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #7  
You can blame this whole thing pretty much on the folks putting tuners on their diesel trucks and rolling coal all over town. People got sick of it and complained.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #8  
You can blame this whole thing pretty much on the folks putting tuners on their diesel trucks and rolling coal all over town. People got sick of it and complained.
Here's a thought!

Let's hire some guys, give them badges, fast cars, radios, guns and ticket books!!!

I bet the Donut Shops would thank us..... :)

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing
It is Funny you mention that Moss. I really like my Stock Cummins powered 2003 Dodge except for 1 thing and that is occasionally I have to really hammer the throttle to get moving when merging.
If the truck has not been floored for a while it does spew some black sooty smoke. It is embarrassing.
Why can't some smart tuner find a way to increase efficiency and get the engine to burn all of the fuel. I have wondered whether methanol and or propane injection would help reduce full throttle smoke.

I also Hoped the Sandia Labs discovery of using the Bunsen Burner tech on production diesels would come to pass. no Luck so far.

Not all diesel truck owners want to roll coal.

I think Gale Banks is on board with cutting smoke while increasing performance. Here is hoping That there will be a way to have our cake and eat it to.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #10  
Yes, I know that not everyone is out to roll coal. It's those darn kids I tell ya! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.