EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #1  

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
NOTICE: as of January 3rd 2014! EVERYONE please READ and RE-POST to your FB friends or other Forums you visit we (USA Citizens need to respond to this!) :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

There are actually Federal EPA rules (in the EPA for comments NOW) regarding ALL WOOD BURNING stoves of ANY TYPE. The are limiting the amount of ash, soot and any type of byproducts/non-combustible materials that would go into effect in next year or so. These rules would force EVERY wood stove, wood boiler or Wood Stove MANUFACTURE of such device manufacture to prove their stoves meet these new standards. It would force dozens or perhaps Hundreds of small wood stove manufactures out of business (I believe it is why they are doing it as much of it is backed by big oil) ::)

Regulatory Actions for Residential Wood Heaters | Residential Wood Heaters | US EPA

I suggest everyone email the EPA on these over stepping bounds that would basically force every stove to have some sort of catalytic system that would have to be maintained & only last so long. LINK BELOW :mad: :mad: :mad:

a-and-r-Docket@epa.gov

Other methods of telling them off here.

How to Comment on the Proposed New Source Performance Standards for Residential Wood Heaters | Residential Wood Heaters | US EPA

here are some of these new rules that will kill jobs, force people to burn OIL, GAS and PROPANE that dumps millions of tons MORE carbon into the atmosphere.

Ordinances and Regulations | Burn Wise | US EPA

and here

Residential Wood Heaters | US EPA

Mark M

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #2  
I live next to a low-tech, soot spewing OWB operated by an idiot that hasn't got ambition enough to cut wood more than a week ahead of the stove. I have to close my windows & doors on perfectly fine spring & autumn evenings due to the stench of incompletely burnt wood drifting down the hill from next door; been that way for several years. My only recourse is to wait for the thing to wear out.
Regulations like this can't come fast enough, it's a shame they will only apply to new units.

There's your opposing viewpoint.

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #3  
This should be left to the discretion of the states. For instance, San Francisco loves the smell and pollution of wood smoke, and voters there support burning millions of acres of forest every summer. Voters in Colorado have learned their lesson, and need something to do with the millions of trees they are cutting down in residential areas.

I do agree with the regulation of hydronic heaters. Those lousy water jacket heaters never get hot enough in the firebox for a clean burn. They spew soot and creosote all over.

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #4  
It really doesn't matter how well-engineered or clean burning a stove is, if it is operated by an idiot. :laughing: I suppose it is somewhat possible to overcome idiocy through engineering. I think there should be more focus on poor usage. Most stoves would probably not be very objectionable if used sensibly. That's the shame of it.

How do we go about punishing stupidity or just plain laziness? We need to figure that out, and not just for stoves. Why would it be a bad idea for RickB's neighbor to be hauled into court for being an idiot and general nuisance?

I'm surprised the proposed regulations leave coal burning stoves untouched.

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #5  
I predict a significant increase in cost of used stoves.

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #6  
I live next to a low-tech, soot spewing OWB operated by an idiot that hasn't got ambition enough to cut wood more than a week ahead of the stove. I have to close my windows & doors on perfectly fine spring & autumn evenings due to the stench of incompletely burnt wood drifting down the hill from next door; been that way for several years. My only recourse is to wait for the thing to wear out.
My neighbor moved his wood fired boiler from his basement to his garage. Now all his smoke goes directly into our house. State EPA says.. too bad so sad nothing they can do about it. I need to close up our house as well when he starts burning and it could happen anytime throughout the year as he burns construction waste in it as well as heating his house. He uses his used diesel motor oil to start the fire which is it's own disaster. I have talked to him about it, he apologizes and then just keeps doing it. His attitude is nobody can tell him what to do on his property. I wish there was some way to get him to burn properly and stop stinking up the neighborhood.

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #7  
It really doesn't matter how well-engineered or clean burning a stove is, if it is operated by an idiot. :laughing
: I suppose it is somewhat possible to overcome idiocy through engineering. I think there should be more focus on poor usage. Most stoves would probably not be very objectionable if used sensibly. That's the shame of it.

How do we go about punishing stupidity or just plain laziness? We need to figure that out, and not just for stoves. Why would it be a bad idea for RickB's neighbor to be hauled into court for being an idiot and general nuisance?

I'm surprised the proposed regulations leave coal burning stoves untouched.

That's really funny, and so true. Reminds me of when I was with the DEQ. We were in a conference regarding the issuance of a permit for a new medical waste incinerator. The room was full of Engineers, Lawyers and enforcement people, bickering over the operational requirements for the incinerator. The incinerator folks were irate because they thought the training and operational conditions were too stringent, and made the off hand remark that they were spending two million dollars for the incinerator. The permit engineer replied that "It doesn't make much difference how much you spend on the equipment if it's operated by Curly, Moe and Larry." I had to agree. As it turned out, the engineer was right.

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #8  
I predict a significant increase in cost of used stoves.

I have burned wood in my Fisher woodstove for 40 years and it emits very little smoke. All my neighbors burn wood also, and there is no problem with any of them. The wood boilers unfortunately belch smoke quite regularly, and when they do, it lasts for quite some time. Some of it is from what is being burned, and some of it is the nature of the stove. Unfortunately we are all being lumped into the same category, and woodstove owners are going to pay the price for something they did not cause. I will agree that the wood boiler industry and their users need to clean up their act, because in truth, they are polluting and they stink.

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #9  
This is all over the internet, and basically is a mountain being made out of a molehill. "EPA GOING AFTER WOOD STOVES"....ah, baloney. It only applies to new stoves being manufactured. There are tons of old stoves out there ( that ought to go the scrap pile IMHO ), and will be for 100 years.

The new stoves don't use catalytic converters for the most part.....that was 1st generation technology to reduce emissions. The 2nd generation stoves use re-burn or gasification technology. A series of stainless steel tubes in the ceiling of the stove routes the exhaust gas thru the tube and out a row of holes in the tube. The stove burns those gases, reducing emissions, increasing heat output, and reducing wood use.

They are a vast improvement over the older stoves. I've owned both, and would never go back to my old Fisher air-tight stove. BEST I could do with it, using well seasoned wood, was about a 5 gallon bucket of creosote cleaned out each spring. New stove, about 1/2 a #10 can ! Almost nothing ! And you can see the difference outside...new stove puts out almost no smoke.....

I'm sorry it took the EPA to get stove manufacturers to make better stoves, but there it is.

Side by side comparison of old and new stoves.

Advanced Woodstove Technology - YouTube

/ EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014 #10  
this has nothing to do with pollution, they cannot figure out away to tax wood. why not require oil burner service every year, how about requiring all tractors to pass a emissions test, and of course stop all home oil changes lest we forget welding with out air cleaners certified by the EPA.
no sir this is just more federal control:thumbdown: