Ever encounter a coral snake?

/ Ever encounter a coral snake? #1  

strantor

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H
I've known the maxim "red & yellow kill a fellow, red & black you're OK Jack" for as long as I can remember. I've come across so many of the coral snake imposters over the years that I began to think maybe the coral snake is a myth. Well it isn't, I learned. My daughter went out one morning recently to open the chicken coop and came back in and told my wife there was a snake at the door. She went to inspect, and called me on the phone (I was already at work) and told me there is a coral snake at the back door. I told her "it's probably just a milk snake or whatever they're called. Are you sure about the colors?" She said she was positive; I still doubted. But I told her to kill it just to be safe. She killed it and sent me a picture. It was for real. I couldn't believe it. I've been looking twice and thrice at snakes my whole life, watching out for this probably mythical ultra deadly 3-tone assassin. To me, this was the equivalent of having a chupacabra slain on my patio while I was away.

When I got home I read up a bit on coral snakes. This is what I found; the top level information I think everyone should know, because there seems to be a lot myths about them.
1. They are real
2. They are fast
3. They have the second-strongest venom of any snake (second only to the black mamba)
4. They do NOT need to "chew" on you to deliver venom. They can bite just as well as any other snake.
5. They don't run in pairs. At least i wasn't able to find any evidence of it.
6. Nobody has been killed by one in decades. 0 deaths. From the most venomous snake on this continent.

How is that? How no deaths from a snake so venomous? If you google "most venomous snake" you'll find top 10 lists and the coral snake won't be on it. The reason for that is, Google thinks it's smarter than you; you're an idiot who doesn't know the subtle differences between the definitions of "venomous" and "deadly." Google determines that you have used a word too big for your vocabulary, and clearly you meant "deadly." So you're shown top 10 lists of the world's most deadly snakes. These are lists of snakes which are very aggressive, going out of their way to bite people. They claim hundreds of lives each year. The coral snake is not on that list because it's a scaredy-snake. It runs from threats and only bites when captured. Also the snakes on those top 10 lists generally have long, thick fangs that produce so much venom that it squirts out like it's trying to set a record. The coral snake has smaller fangs and smaller venom organs. It can't envenomate as efficiently as those other snakes.

It doesn't kill people often (i think), because:
1. It's a pretty uncommon snake
2. People are deathly afraid of it
3. It's deathly afraid of people, and skilled at evasion
4. It is not designed to be a man killer.

From now on, I look at coral snakes with about as much hesitation as an opossum. If i ever see one again.

Attachments

• 20200829_122545.jpg
    20200829_122545.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 284
   / Ever encounter a coral snake? #2  
I've seen quite a few when I lived in Florida and camped regularly. They were all running away from me. Congrats on having a wife willing to do battle with a snake!

/ Ever encounter a coral snake? #3  
We've been in Florida since 1957. And I've had my share of snake encounters. Mostly black racers. Several Rattlers, red and yellow chicken snakes, 2 Indigos, one Cottonmouth, one ring snake, water moccasins and one (maybe) Coral - it was gone when I came back to check the color pattern.
The Cottonmouth was by far the most aggressive. Tho lately the Racers seem to be going that way, curiously.
The odd thing is that the "coral" snake was at a house I owned in a city. All the others were in rural strings or hiking.
Coral or king he was the most pacific of the bunch.

/ Ever encounter a coral snake? #4  
Sorry Mate, I'm sure that the coral snake has a nasty venom but it isn't even in the top 11 most venomous snakes in the world.

Perhaps you are referring to Nth America.

We've got Tiger, Copperhead and White-Lipped venomous snakes here in Tassie, and I'm cautious around the Red-Bellied Black. The Mainland has the Eastern Brown (#2) and Coastal Taipan (#3)... 21 of the world's 25 most venomous snakes call Australia home.

/ Ever encounter a coral snake?
Sorry Mate, I'm sure that the coral snake has a nasty venom but it isn't even in the top 11 most venomous snakes in the world.

Do you have a source for that?
"Coral Snakes: Colors, Bites, Farts & Facts | Live Science" Coral Snakes: Colors, Bites, Farts & Facts | Live Science

Perhaps you are falling for the trap of most deadly vs most venomous? For example, i heard (did not confirm) that the daddy long legs spider is one of the most venomous spiders around, but its fangs are so short it cannot bit mammals. So it's harmless. I don't know if that's true but assume it is for the sake of example.

/ Ever encounter a coral snake? #6  
A couple days ago the news guy said baby copperheads are very active this time of year. Firstly, I thought babies came in the spring

Yesterday I saw what I though was a large earthworm, a night crawler we used to call them. Nope. Mr Copperhead. I’m not a hunter and take no pleasure in killing anything except,

Coyotes

Cockroaches

Copperheads

I See a pattern there, all start with Cs.

I guess the next on the list would be....

Carolina Fans!

Let’s Go Duke

Redskins having a ruff start.

/ Ever encounter a coral snake? #7  

We've got Tiger, Copperhead and White-Lipped venomous snakes here in Tassie, and I'm cautious around the Red-Bellied Black. The Mainland has the Eastern Brown (#2) and Coastal Taipan (#3)... 21 of the world's 25 most venomous snakes call Australia home.

Isn't there more things that can kill you in Australia than about any other place on earth?

/ Ever encounter a coral snake? #8  
Someone sent me a video of the 10 places on earth you ain’t gettin in. One was the seen vault in Norway? One was the Vatican archives. I know a Microwave engineer that worked at the archives, killing bugs in the picture frames so, I guess he could get in.

One of the other places was an island off Brazil. According to the video, it is so over run with the most poisonous snake in the world that people are forbidden.

Mines more poisonous than yours!

/ Ever encounter a coral snake? #10  

i think nearly everything eats you in Australia. Even Your kangaroos have issues. EE5D32B2-D470-4C08-A091-3A1CC798116F.jpeg