Everlast PA300 Rookie

/ Everlast PA300 Rookie #1  

Underdog57

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
I haven't arc welded in 30+ years but I bought a tractor last year and everyone knows you have to have a welder also. :). I had narrowed my search to the PA200 but got a great deal on the PA300, so I'm looking for a little help in getting back in to the "sport". I plan on practicing a lot before I weld anything meaningful. What would be a good starting point for the settings on the Hot Start & Arc Force Control? I really enjoyed welding long ago and am excited to give it a go again. Gonna burn some 6011 & 7018 this weekend, should the work clamp be hooked to the middle port (E6010) when I use E6011 or any 60xx series rods? Also I bought 3/32" & 1/8" of each rod (6011 & 7018). Thanks for all the great info from all the great welders I read about here at TBN. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Everlast PA300 Rookie #2  
Experiment with the arc force and hot start. Normally 6011 would probably run best on the 6010 port but experiment with that too. Generally lower arc force for 7018 and higher for 6010.

/ Everlast PA300 Rookie #3  
About 4 or 5 on the hot start. If you go too high, you can really flame your rod if it goes too high.

About 3 or 7018 and about 5-7 on 6010/6011. But each unit and each customer may find a little different sweet spot depending upon how he/she welds.

Keep in mind, with an inverter, throw out what you know welding with a transformer welder. Arc force control is your friend...need a little more heat while welding? Push the rod into the puddle...which is sort of the opposite of a transformer welder.

/ Everlast PA300 Rookie #4  
My PA-300 is setting in the Post Office. I'm at the very end of the Pony Express trail:rolleyes:. I think the Post Office hates me! I've had stuff set in Tacoma for 5-days:shocked:. Tacoma is 30-miles away!:thumbdown:
With my V350-Pro I run the arc force at +9.5 for open root pipe welding with 6010. With hot pass, fill, and cap, or just a bead on a plate I like to run the arc force at +2.0 with 6010. This gives me the stack of dimes look without even trying. With 7018 I run the arc force at +2.0 also.
Seems as I remember with member Furu's Stickweld 250, his machine didn't have the range with the arc force as my V350-Pro, but ran a really nice bead with 7018. Just can't remember where we had the arc force.
For a beginner the adjustable hot start is just the ticket!:cool2: I'd say be careful with it when tacking. Other wise kept it turned up some. It just makes life so much easier to start a rod.:cool:

/ Everlast PA300 Rookie #5  
This "Hot Start/Arc Force" is new to me. :confused2:

I'm thinking of a real life farmer's scenario of welding over a crack on say a 1/4" bracket on a piece of machinery.
It's hard to get at to grind a V, so you just plan on putting a bead over the top of the crack and let 'er go for the time being since it's non critical.

You would need to get as much penetration as possible. So would you set the Arc Force high and use 7018 or would using 6010/6011 be better?
Since 7018 isn't a deep penetrating rod would the Arc Force make it penetrate as well as 6010/6011? :confused:

/ Everlast PA300 Rookie #6  
Joint prep will make or break you. But if you can't grind the crack to a V. I'd use 6010 or 6011. But if you turn the arc force all the way up, and used 7018. You could jam the rod right into the plate without worrying too much about the arc going out. ;)

The hot start is nice, not a real big deal to me. Believe it or not I've started a few rods in my time:D. But for a beginner it's the only way to go. Just makes life so much easier on the beginner.:cool:

/ Everlast PA300 Rookie #7  
If something cracked, there must be a reason. Not too many places you can't get with a die grinder. 6010 with low arc force will still have more penetration than 7018 with high arc force.

/ Everlast PA300 Rookie
Played with it some today, 1st time striking an arc in 30+ years! wow this thing is nice, started the arc 1st time and kept on going. Started with 1/8" 6011 on the right side of pic and ended up with 1/8" 7018 on the left side of pic, (the stuff on the lower RH corner of pic is my son in-law trying for the 1st time). I did go over the top of 6011 with 7018 a couple of times. Wow that 7018 makes a nice looking bead for a beginner. Still playing with the settings. I was at 100 A with the 6011 and 130 A with the 7018. Very impressed with this welder after only about an hour of use, and I know practically nothing about welding. I am almost afraid of posting a pic, but remember I'm an old man almost beginner! Comments and tips please!

image.jpg

/ Everlast PA300 Rookie #9  
Underdog those don't look bad at all:thumbsup:. I'll tell you a little secret. It's hard for anybody to make welds look good on a flat plate. Buy some 1/4 or 3/8-inch thick flatbar, cut it to 6-inch lengths. Do some lap, and fillet welds.