Everyone have a good Memorial Day

/ Everyone have a good Memorial Day #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
And remember our troops now and in the past, who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can all be free.

Attachments

• usapow.gif
    usapow.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 129
   / Everyone have a good Memorial Day #2  
I think of my dad every Memorial Day. He was a WWII vet and I remember him going out and putting up our flag on special days when I was a little kid. It was the late 60s before he got one with 50 stars. Ours had 48. I still have it.

/ Everyone have a good Memorial Day
MossRoad said:
I think of my dad every Memorial Day. He was a WWII vet and I remember him going out and putting up our flag on special days when I was a little kid. It was the late 60s before he got one with 50 stars. Ours had 48. I still have it.
Very cool, My dad was also in WWII, army sergeant. I still have a couple of his purple hearts, and various other metals. He's gone now, but told me he once backed into Patton’s car and got chewed out for it. I have great respect for anyone who serves or has served. :eek:

/ Everyone have a good Memorial Day #4  
MossRoad said:
My Dad was a wwII vet , I also had a lot of my uncles that was in that war one of them was shoot and parralized from the waist down at age 19, I was told yesterday that another uncle wwII vet had a heartattack but refused to go to the doctors. He said what will be will be. He has had a heartattack before and went to the hospital but I beleive this time he is more at peace with his destiny and is ready to go. Reflecting on this is sad in one sense but in another we have to admire their courage, and we definitly need to remember and when we see that flag flying high we need to remember their sacrifice and all those that have served .

/ Everyone have a good Memorial Day #5  
I saw a bumber sticker the other day with the following: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a vet"
We owe our vets & active duty folks a lot.

Skip

/ Everyone have a good Memorial Day #6  
Remember that what they did, and continue to do, is what enables ALL our freedoms to own and enjoy our tractors as we do...

Having worn the uniform for 27 years myself, it's heart-warming to see these comments... :)

toy said:
My Dad was a wwII vet , I also had a lot of my uncles that was in that war one of them was shoot and parralized from the waist down at age 19, I was told yesterday that another uncle wwII vet had a heartattack but refused to go to the doctors. He said what will be will be. He has had a heartattack before and went to the hospital but I beleive this time he is more at peace with his destiny and is ready to go. Reflecting on this is sad in one sense but in another we have to admire their courage, and we definitly need to remember and when we see that flag flying high we need to remember their sacrifice and all those that have served .
I also have two uncles one Army, one Marine that were in the WWII both still alive. The uncle that was a Marine had a mortar go off close by, and was buried up to his waist in dirt and unconscious. He was almost left for dead, but another Soldier walking by happened to hear him moaning so they dug him out he recovered after a few weeks in the hospital.

Your both right, we owe a lot to our military men past and present. The least we can do is have a moment of silence bow our heads, and remember those lost or missing in action. 27 years? wow, can't say enough about this. A personal thanks to you Kent, and anyone else on here for your service to our country. ;)

/ Everyone have a good Memorial Day #8  
My dad shot down a P-38... well, not really... the story goes like this...

He was on some island in the south pacific, extending a runway. There was a swamp at the end of the existing runway. Dad was, among other things, a demolitions officer. So his commanding officer tells him to blast the swamp. Dad consults his field manual, and it tells him to put one stick of dynamite every so many feet, a couple feet down. He does, pushes the plunger, and the swamp burps some mud into the air and falls right back where it came from. His C.O. tells him to halve the space between holes and do it again. He does, pushes the plunger and the swamp burps again. So the C.O. tells him to halve the space once more AND double the dynamite. He asks the "Are you sure about that?" question, gets chewed out for asking, and follows orders. He pushes the plunger, the swamp vaporizes and a huge chunk of coral flies through the air and smashes a P-38 parked on the other side of the air field. His buddies painted a P-38 on the side of his jeep. :D

Dad went on to finish college after the war interrupted it, become an architect, painted watercolors, studied archeology, astronomy and geology, become a construction specifications writer, build his own home and raise 5 kids with my mom. He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus, volunteered his time at the church and school, worked with the Campfire Girls (I had sisters) and the Boy Scouts, and took care of his mom in her old age, while he had (unknowingly) cancer. He fought that battle with courage and dignity, and refused to give in until the very end. If ever there was a role model for me to follow, he was it. :)

/ Everyone have a good Memorial Day #9  
KentT said:
Remember that what they did, and continue to do, is what enables ALL our freedoms to own and enjoy our tractors as we do...

Having worn the uniform for 27 years myself, it's heart-warming to see these comments... :)
We also need to remember the leaders of our great nation, and pray that they are just as honarable as our young men and women that they send into harms way.

MossRoad said:
My dad shot down a P-38... well, not really... the story goes like this...

He was on some island in the south pacific, extending a runway. There was a swamp at the end of the existing runway. Dad was, among other things, a demolitions officer. So his commanding officer tells him to blast the swamp. Dad consults his field manual, and it tells him to put one stick of dynamite every so many feet, a couple feet down. He does, pushes the plunger, and the swamp burps some mud into the air and falls right back where it came from. His C.O. tells him to halve the space between holes and do it again. He does, pushes the plunger and the swamp burps again. So the C.O. tells him to halve the space once more AND double the dynamite. He asks the "Are you sure about that?" question, gets chewed out for asking, and follows orders. He pushes the plunger, the swamp vaporizes and a huge chunk of coral flies through the air and smashes a P-38 parked on the other side of the air field. His buddies painted a P-38 on the side of his jeep. :D

Dad went on to finish college after the war interrupted it, become an architect, painted watercolors, studied archeology, astronomy and geology, become a construction specifications writer, build his own home and raise 5 kids with my mom. He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus, volunteered his time at the church and school, worked with the Campfire Girls (I had sisters) and the Boy Scouts, and took care of his mom in her old age, while he had (unknowingly) cancer. He fought that battle with courage and dignity, and refused to give in until the very end. If ever there was a role model for me to follow, he was it. :)
Sounds like a great father and a heck of a guy, had all of his priorities right. Pretty cool having the flag he left with 48 stars that’s a keeper :) Isn’t our man J.J. X military?? :eek: