Excellent crop of tires this year...

/ Excellent crop of tires this year... #1  

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
So... we have owned the farm for a year now and the cleanup is all but finished. We have hauled off 6, 30 yard dumpsters of the previous owners accumulated trash that was strung out over the 55 acres. We also just this week took off 4 16ft dump trailer loads of old metal roofing from the barns that had fallen down, and various metal farm implements. The kicker was the 56 tires we pulled out of the hedge rows. Never thought I would use my grapple for tires....

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 297
  • tires2.jpg
    tires2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 558
   / Excellent crop of tires this year... #3  
Bet that grapple was a lot easier than digging in the hedge rows by hand. Feels good when a job is done and done well.

/ Excellent crop of tires this year... #4  
You probably could have sold the rusty tin roofing and implements. People are paying good money for that stuff

/ Excellent crop of tires this year... #5  
Hard to believe how some people will let trash accumulate on their property. Good to see new owners cleaning and making it look better.

/ Excellent crop of tires this year...
Hard to believe how some people will let trash accumulate on their property. Good to see new owners cleaning and making it look better.
There is a strange story to this property. Somewhere around 1900 a man by the name of Craig built a house on it. His son and wife inherited it around 1940; they moved to a new house in the "city" in 1967. Her cousin moved in and rented it for the next 50 years till he died in 2018. (He was the bootlegger) ... The owners never had children and the farm was left to her youngest brother who we purchased the property from. Given this scenario it was hardly touched, remodeled, or taken well care of. My contribution is sweat equity...

/ Excellent crop of tires this year... #7  
Wow. Fantastic job at picking up all that trash you found, and disposing of it. Your efforts will certainly improve the value and long term enjoyment of your new property. I think the previous owners were simply not good caretakers of their property.

Unfortunately this type of trash disposal was more common than we think. Some badly misguided landowners many decades ago, often would charge a small dumping fee to allow disposal on their property. I am sure they made a few thousand dollars over the life of their property ownership. The other case, is you have a landowner, that lived remote to the property, rarely visited the property and did not maintain fencing to keep out locals from dumping. And that seems to be what happened to my property. Remote ownership.

In my particular property case, the trash we picked up from our heavily wooded property was dated back to years 1930 - 1970s, and so far we have moved a total of twenty three - 15yard dumpsters out to the county landfill. The landfill does not allow tires, refrigerators and toxic chemicals, and happily we had none of these type of trash. We have cleaned enough up, that last week, we actually hired a land clearing contractor, who uses a skid steer with forestry mulcher. He opened up paths through the woods, and found enough debris to fill another dumpster in just 3 days. I estimate we have 95% cleaned up, with some small areas avoided due to some rather steep terrain for tractor access.

Last edited:
   / Excellent crop of tires this year... #8  
I’ve had it easy, I only find beer cans and golf balls. Mostly, anyway.

Nice job!

Here's some moonshine "cans" for ya... we had 6 of these I pulled out of the woods last year.

Attachments

• subs.jpg
    subs.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 270
  • 20210112_120908.jpg
    20210112_120908.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 261
Wow. Fantastic job at picking up all that trash you found, and disposing of it. Your efforts will certainly improve the value and long term enjoyment of your new property. I think the previous owners were simply not good caretakers of their property.

Unfortunately this type of trash disposal was more common than we think. Some badly misguided landowners many decades ago, often would charge a small dumping fee to allow disposal on their property. I am sure they made a few thousand dollars over the life of their property ownership. The other case, is you have a landowner, that lived remote to the property, rarely visited the property and did not maintain fencing to keep out locals from dumping. And that seems to be what happened to my property. Remote ownership.

In my particular property case, the trash we picked up from our heavily wooded property was dated back to years 1930 - 1970s, and so far we have moved a total of twenty three - 15yard dumpsters out to the county landfill. The landfill does not allow tires, refrigerators and toxic chemicals, and happily we had none of these type of trash. We have cleaned enough up, that last week, we actually hired a land clearing contractor, who uses a skid steer with forestry mulcher. He opened up paths through the woods, and found enough debris to fill another dumpster in just 3 days. I estimate we have 95% cleaned up, with some small areas avoided due to some rather steep terrain for tractor access.
It feels good to get a property back on track, don't you think? Somehow I am very satisfied knowing I am going to leave something better than I found it.